Oregon What do you think?

I have a Nuvi 500 and it works fine, but I want to get a handheld for my Wife and one for myself. I was looking at the Oregon 300 and just wanted to know what everyone thought. I would also like some advice on a Garmin for my wife. See wants a mapping one that I could put the state of Wi on. Not alot of money.

Thanks

I have the Oregon 200 and I absolutely love it!! The touch interface is easy to learn and very complete. The unit seems tough and reliable as well. Only real drawback is the brightness of the screen. Under most condtions - you will need some amount of backlight to see it well. I particularly like the paperless geocaching features. A bit pricey though at around $400.

Since you already have a nice car unit. You might look into Garmin eTrex Venture HC units for handheld Geocaching. No paperless mode but long battery life, color screen, some map memory, a geocaching mode, USB - nice little units for around $135 each.

I have the Oregon 200 and I absolutely love it!! The touch interface is easy to learn and very complete. The unit seems tough and reliable as well. Only real drawback is the brightness of the screen. Under most condtions - you will need some amount of backlight to see it well. I particularly like the paperless geocaching features. A bit pricey though at around $400.

Since you already have a nice car unit. You might look into Garmin eTrex Venture HC units for handheld Geocaching. No paperless mode but long battery life, color screen, some map memory, a geocaching mode, USB - nice little units for around $135 each.

We use a eTrex Vista HCx and an axim for the paperless stuff. That being said, I went to REI and tried out several of the Oregons b/c I would really like to integrate the geocaching info. Well, the brightness of the Oregon is very dissapointing. In the store the brightness was OK, but outside in the sun, the screen was quite difficult to read even with the backlight on it. In the cloud, it wasn't much better. Definitely a deal breaker for me. Seriously, the brightness is pretty bad imho. I suggest you go and try out several units. Most places will allow you to play with them. Every other feature on the Oregon was really nice.

If you like the touch screen features like the nuvi, then the Oregon is the way to go. If you are considering next-gen units, then the Colorado should be in that conversation too. It has received a GPS chipset and software updates since it's been released, and is now a great performing unit. If you're open to any handheld model, then you might want to look at the GPSMAP 60 series as well for a mature, all-around great performing unit.

Edited by ryguyMN