Twin Towers Suncatchers

VOFWG

cc46a6fe-009d-4cd7-822a-e810fb19d5b4.jpg

Hello, to all fellow Geocachers. This will be my first attempt at designing a coin. I choose a topic that reaches all people across the USA. It was inspired by a Country song, "Have We Forgotten!?" The song reminds us of that tragic day in American history. When the Twin Towers fell, and all who were lost on that day. This is a tribute to those lost . I wanted to say, "That We will NEVER forget,and our hearts still ache,for those lost."Here are some photos sent to me from OakCoins.

The coins are being offered in two finishes, at this time. Copper and Gold tone.The date is laser etched,because of the coin being minted so late in the year.And it would be simplier to change the date,if reissued next year.As you will be able to see from the photos, the Twin Towers are the main focus of the coin.You can't help but notice them. I am planning a run of 250 coins total,at this time.If there is enough interest,more will be minted.Photos coming as soon as I figure how to get them onto this forum!Thank You Eartha for pointing me in the right direction for the photos.I tried to get the reverse on this post, but the photos seem to be to large.If interested,you could view my profile for the bck side.I still learning my way around this site.Thanks to all who view this coin.

Edited by VOFWG
Hello, to all fellow Geocachers. This will be my first attempt at designing a coin. I choose a topic that reaches all people across the USA. It was inspired by a Country song, "Have We Forgotten!?" The song reminds us of that tragic day in American history. When the Twin Towers fell, and all who were lost on that day. This is a tribute to those lost . I wanted to say, "That We will NEVER forget,and our hearts still ache,for those lost."Here are some photos sent to me from OakCoins.

The coins are being offered in two finishes, at this time. Copper and Gold tone.The date is laser etched,because of the coin being minted so late in the year.And it would be simplier to change the date,if reissued next year.As you will be able to see from the photos, the Twin Towers are the main focus of the coin.You can't help but notice them. I am planning a run of 250 coins total,at this time.If there is enough interest,more will be minted.Photos coming as soon as I figure how to get them onto this forum!

There is no photo's to see, but we have to say that these souind so beautiful, with me being a firefighter I would love to have a couple, copper is our favorite metal. We will def.be interested.

Barry of sweetlife

To add a photo to yoru post, you must first store the photo on a website (like this one, perhaps in your profile, or the coin site, or you email server might provide photo storage), then when you post here, click on the little "tree" icon at the top of the text box, (8th icon from the left) and insert the link to the photo. Preview your post, before submitting it, to make sure it looks good, then submit.

The coins are being offered in two finishes, at this time. Copper and Gold tone.The date is laser etched,because of the coin being minted so late in the year.And it would be simplier to change the date,if reissued next year.As you will be able to see from the photos, the Twin Towers are the main focus of the coin.You can't help but notice them. I am planning a run of 250 coins total,at this time.If there is enough interest,more will be minted.Photos coming as soon as I figure how to get them onto this forum!Thank You Eartha for pointing me in the right direction for the photos.

Nice idea for a coin. Which charity are these being sold for?

Good question!? I was so absorbed with getting them done,that I failed to take that into account. I will have to look into it further.So far people seemed to be interested,in this project.I thought it might bring up to many bad memories. But that is all we have to hold on too,sometimes.I just wanted to gently remind everyone.Like I mentioned before,if it wasn't for that,Country song,"Have you Forgotten",I might have just let that day go by,like all of the 364 days before that.I haven't made it to Ground Zero yet.I heard it was a very devastating site.

I was wondering the same thing. Nice coin, but people shouldn't profit from something like this IMHO. It just seems too "sacred"!

That was never my intention.On the reverse it states The Black Rose Society: The black rose has several meanings.The one we were going with, is that a Black Rose was given to a soldier,who might not return from his journey,and in was also hoped it would help them overcome differculties,along the way.As I stated before,THIS is meant to be a tribute, to those lost on that fateful day.Just like the Statue of Iwo Jima,or The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.Nothing else.

I did a quick search,and came up with this site:http://www.ttof.org/.This is a charity for children who lost one or both parents on 9/11.I can't think of a more deserving charity, than that.

Edited by VOFWG

I was wondering the same thing. Nice coin, but people shouldn't profit from something like this IMHO. It just seems too "sacred"!

That was never my intention.On the reverse it states The Black Rose Society: The black rose has several meanings.The one we were going with, is that a Black Rose was given to a soldier,who might not return from his journey,and in was also hoped it would help them overcome differculties,along the way.As I stated before,THIS is meant to be a tribute, to those lost on that fateful day.Just like the Statue of Iwo Jima,or The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.Nothing else.

Being one who lost a loved one that day, I just hope no one is profiting from it...all I'll say.

Nice coin.

Will any proceeds go towards the Memorial fund?

Will any proceeds go towards the Memorial fund?

I don't have any info on that.Please provide.It seems this is going to be a slightly larger project,than I thought.I will take any info provided under consideration.And then decided,which way this will go.

Agreed. Pretty coin, meaningful, but not if it's for profit. That's just tacky. Like those commercials recently for the 9/11 silver dollar bill thing. Made me want to gag.

Agreed. Pretty coin, meaningful, but not if it's for profit. That's just tacky. Like those commercials recently for the 9/11 silver dollar bill thing. Made me want to gag.

It's not like this is the First 9/11 coin minted! You can get one right now from one of the Club Sites and it doesn't say anything about proceeds going to any charity or Memorial Funds. So please don't go getting all "Holier than Thou" on this one :lol:

Edit for speeling.

Edited by Sunrayers

It's not like this is the First 9/11 coin minted! You can get one right now from one of the Club Sites and it doesn't say anything about proceeds going to any charity or Memorial Funds. So please don't go getting all "Holier than Tho" on this one :lol:

I find that I rather agree with Sunrayers on this one. Never forget, true, but everything with the WTC doesn't have to be a charity thing.

I don't feel that this needs to be any type of charity coin at all. It's a lovely piece to remind people, but just because they buy it doesn't mean that a portion of proceeds has to go anywhere!

Naomi

I would definitely want to order one. These are beautiful. I lost friends and family that day, and get this-worked for a newsroom that would not allow us peons to listen to the reports as the came in because it interfered with our work! What a terrible way to find that someone close to you is gone.

I think these coins are a beautiful token. I love every coin club coin that comes out with the towers, and I would love this one, too.

Depending on the price, I think we would be interested in at least one. We were actually at a funeral that day for a very close friend and listened to the events as they were heard on radios going to/from the cemetery and funeral home and wake. A very sentimental day and a reminder of how fragile life is. Great looking coin.

It's not like this is the First 9/11 coin minted! You can get one right now from one of the Club Sites and it doesn't say anything about proceeds going to any charity or Memorial Funds. So please don't go getting all "Holier than Tho" on this one :ph34r:

I find that I rather agree with Sunrayers on this one. Never forget, true, but everything with the WTC doesn't have to be a charity thing. I don't feel that this needs to be any type of charity coin at all. It's a lovely piece to remind people, but just because they buy it doesn't mean that a portion of proceeds has to go anywhere!

Naomi

I agree somewhat. I merely asked if it was benefiting the memorial fund, not demanding it. I just think with a project like this, it has to be carefully thought out. I am uncomfortable with someone coming into the forums and proposing a trade towers coin, (which is emotional for me). Opinions are going to vary and it seems the OP is open to suggestions and comments which I commend them for.

The coins are being offered in two finishes, at this time. Copper and Gold tone.The date is laser etched,because of the coin being minted so late in the year.And it would be simplier to change the date,if reissued next year.As you will be able to see from the photos, the Twin Towers are the main focus of the coin.You can't help but notice them. I am planning a run of 250 coins total,at this time.If there is enough interest,more will be minted.Photos coming as soon as I figure how to get them onto this forum!

There is no photo's to see, but we have to say that these souind so beautiful, with me being a firefighter I would love to have a couple, copper is our favorite metal. We will def.be interested.

Barry of sweetlife

This is something very close to our hearts. We definately would be interested in ordering this coin. We can never forget that day so hopefully it will never happen again. We need to protect our family, friends & our CHILDREN! Thank you for thinking of this coin & being a fellow firefighter. The Finamore Family

Edited by Finamore Family

Barry of sweetlife

This is something very close to our hearts. We definately would be interested in ordering this coin. We can Thank you for thinking of this coin & being a fellow firefighter. The Finamore Familynever forget that day so hopefully it will never happen again. We need to protect our family, friends & our CHILDREN!

Edited by Finamore Family

Yes, as a matter of fact,I did feel I was being attacked for trying to do an "honorable", thing. I am sorry that I hadn't thought of the charity,but that was a good topic to keep in mind for future coins. All I wanted was a simple memorial coin.Just to honor all those effected on that infamous day. That is why I have stayed away from this forum,until I had something to offer, to the Geocaching community. I have handed this project over to Oakcoins,who has started production on this project.They feel the ETA, for this project will be late Nov. The have just sent me a photo, of the tracking icon,that they want to use,and I think it looks great. The coin is going to be called, "Take a Moment",Because whoever comes across one of these coins,should stop and "Take a Moment",to remember those brave souls lost on that day,and all of the other people affected by it. I had no intention of making a profit on this, I was hoping to just break even.I also felt that this going to be to big for me to handle on my own. Oakcoins was gracious enough to take over and they are doing a beautiful job.Thanks to all who stopped by to read my "little" essay.May the road lead you to many geocaches,and may the sun not shine directly on your GPS!!

With me being a FireFighter and going on 17 years, I am honored to see a memorial coin like this come to reality. I am still sadden what happened on this day. I know I will be purchasing a couple of these and to give to my geocaching/ firefighter friends. Thank You for the update. It is greatly appreciated.

I am proud to say we have a very Nice Fire Fighter Memorial here in Wisconsin. Here is the link feel free to take a look. I and my wife have been here and since then there is been alot of changes. It is a very nice memorial.

http://www.wsfm.org/Home-c1346-wp5553.htm

Edited by sweetlife

The coins are being offered in two finishes, at this time. Copper and Gold tone.The date is laser etched,because of the coin being minted so late in the year.And it would be simplier to change the date,if reissued next year.As you will be able to see from the photos, the Twin Towers are the main focus of the coin.You can't help but notice them. I am planning a run of 250 coins total,at this time.If there is enough interest,more will be minted.Photos coming as soon as I figure how to get them onto this forum!Thank You Eartha for pointing me in the right direction for the photos.I tried to get the reverse on this post, but the photos seem to be to large.If interested,you could view my profile for the bck side.I still learning my way around this site.Thanks to all who view this coin.

I just wante to make a little point... What happened on 9/11 it's something that nobody that heard about it will forget it. I'm from Chile, and I can tell you exactly how were those hours hearing about this. Maybe it affected me more because I had an uncle that used to work there (he retired before 9/11) or because my father was here and I had no idea where, luckily he was in Philly and just had to manage to find an open airport to go back to Chile. But besides my experience I can tell you that most of my friends and family still remember this day, we all know what we were doing, what we were thinking, and was hard.

I didn't loose anybody, but sometimes I still cry for those who did. Don't even imagine when I see a documental, or even a movie.

Also want to add a little more about my experience, being far from here (now i'm spending a year in the states) we watched the news and we didn't see images showing blood, but we saw all this heroes (the firefighters) and people helping, or doing what they could. I think that's something remarkable, and makes a good impression of americans.

Oh the drama... Nice coin... I could careless if you make a profit, hey why not. You at some point spent time designing, get paid for it. Honestly people.

I'm sorry, but this is exactly the mindset I am against. Make your profit...off the death and sorrow of others? As I said before, do we really need something to help us remember? I can remember the exact second I saw this on the TV...I was watching CNN. I was in my living room readying for work and then just sat there watching in horror as the second tower was hit. I cried and cried when the towers fell and I still think of all those lost daily...it's VERY fresh in my mind...I doubt I'm alone here. I remember going in to work and then watching the news there. I remember watching the skies and seeing the lack of planes in the air...and I remember the nasty gas station owners shooting up the price of gas knowing people would soon panic...they thought fast, so they profitted...is this OK too?

I also remember not being able to get to my friend who was lost that day, (we didn't know right away though...that was the real horror...not knowing) no planes in the air. I remember the family calling me asking if I'd drive them there days later when they STILL could not fly out, the trip we took and the horrors we saw. The smell, the devastation, the anger, the sorrow...even now, it's like it just happened. And then, to wait days to hear any word at all from our missing loved one, word we never got. Day's turned to weeks and then months...now waiting for word of finding the body. That word still hasn't come...and never will. I'm sure this isn't unique to just my experience, I'm sure others have endured this and still are. I remember taking shower after shower, yet still smelling the sickening smells like I was still right there...in my mind? Yes, but it was all too real....and still is.

You want honesty, you've got it.

What's next? What won't be sacred next?

No, I don't think a profit should be made (hey, I don't feel the coin needs made, but I'm sure others will buy it)...and IF the coin must be made, then YES, I'd be all for it, if it went to helping those affected in some way. I don't see that as happening here. If the OP were truly making this coin merely as a "momento" of the horrors of that tragic day, then maing a profit or even breaking even shouldn't be a worry...making a special and honorable coin which is going to help would be my very FIRST worry!

I don't need a piece of shiny metal to remind me of my experience, and no, I won't be buying this coin. I won't have ill feelings to those who do buy it, I just hope you understand why I feel like I do.

And sorry you felt attacked for making this coin...but did you expect everyone to be rushing to pat you on the back? I'd have been first in line had you donated the money to make this coin...then the money made from this coin going to one of the many groups doing real and honest work to help those affected. Making money, breaking even...if you truly had those affected at heart during this project, money wouldn't have been a concern IMHO... Now, had you been making this coin as a tribute to a friend or loved one lost....that'd be a whole new story!

Sorry, I'll go back to the shadows and leave this alone.

What's funny, when this first happened, I was looking for things to help me remember...now I try hard to forget the horrors. :blink:

Flame me as you wish, these are my true thoughts and I will not sway.