Caching with Your Dog

meralgia

f5f86247-79e0-4c57-8d46-3f53d88132f5.jpg

I will try again, and see if I can get a bigger picture of my two dogs.

Zeus (Belgian Malinos) and Luna (Mixed breed, but mostly Anatolian Shepherd)

My parents are looking into buying an Anatolian Shepherd puppy to raise for their alpaca farm. You're the first person I've seen (real life or internet) who owns one is owned by one. Would you say Luna was easy to train and has an even temperment?

- Elle

My parents are looking into buying an Anatolian Shepherd puppy to raise for their alpaca farm. You're the first person I've seen (real life or internet) who owns one is owned by one. Would you say Luna was easy to train and has an even temperment?

Luna is not a full blood Anatolian, but reading on line and talking with someone who has them, her personality seems to fit perfectly. Other than her size, ( she weighs about 75 lbs, Anatolian run 105 to 150 lbs.) she would be hard to tell that she is mixed.

That being said both my dogs I have now have been the easiest to train, and among the best temper of any dogs I've had. (and I've had a lot over my 60 yrs.)

This is our Error, our caching addicted cache dog.

:):)

He never helps seeking a cache , he makes his own fake caches.

Oeepsss , sorry error ones he dig out a cache for us , our 450 i think he felt sorry for us because our gps was spinning threw the trees.

Here is our error :unsure:

7d8b1678-8b50-4f37-8f0e-02e56020c185.jpg

5b070ac2-3ed6-41cd-97ca-9694c4926fa9.jpg

cd7ac7e5-079a-471b-9f5b-d0a59f76bda4.jpg

Our error is now 8 1/2 years old and he is a mix from a dalmatian [mother] and a Siberian husky[dad]

He has his own tb

Error tb

Big paw from error to all his caching friends.

errorvlag.gif

Edited by Geo.Error

Just wondering about all of those faithful trail-walking pups. Introduce yours!!

I'm a newbie and would like to attach a photo of my dog, but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm an old fart, and haven't figured out exactly how to use these new fangled gadgets. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't let the dogs have all the glory!

Here's a picture of Twitch, our tabby cat. Mostly he models TBs (shown here with "I Love Cats" around his neck) but he came caching with us once when we stopped for a break while on vacation. He followed me all the way to the cache (on a leash, with Mr BP on the other end), even stepping gingerly through the swampy area. Unfortunately he wasn't as eager to return to the truck and had to be carried, protesting all the way. Poor Mr BP was covered in muddy paw prints by the time we got back to the parking lot. Now if only we could train him to sniff out Lock and Locks!

cutekitty.jpg

OldA'sFan, I empathize. Somehow that learning curve seems steeper for those of us who aren't so young any more. Your photo needs to be saved to a photosharing site first - Flickr, Photobucket or similar. Yes, something else to learn. Then copy the IMG code, go to your forum post, click on the little green tree above the text box. A little box will appear. Paste the url address into the little box and click OK. I end usually end up with a double set of IMG tags, so I delete the extra pair. I have no idea why that happens.

I'm a newbie and would like to attach a photo of my dog, but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm an old fart, and haven't figured out exactly how to use these new fangled gadgets. Any help would be appreciated.

click here

Try this link, it should help. I found the best way was to link to a picture I had already added to a log I had posted on a cache I found.

If you haven't done this before you will need to know how to get the url. Open the picture where you want to link to. Right click on the picture, and click on properties. You can then highlight, and copy the address.

There may be better ways, but this way worked for this "Old Fart", who also has trouble figuring out these new fangled gadgets. :):santa:

Howdy, I'm Ginger! and cache with my stepsister, Mocha! and the bipedal known as Chuy!. Even though I was with him for his first cache, he has some 6K more than me. He must take this pretty seriously. We hit the trail every Sunday morning and in between. I love the water including snow. I turned five this year and hope to be hitting the trails for a long time to come. Come say hi if you're ever in Diego. bbc0cf24-d777-4ff9-8810-f5872261a12f.jpg

With my buddy Max.

76f5dc66-b1fe-4a1d-b28f-07d6d8c442fd.jpg

Ummm, snow.

b0daf351-2089-48a4-a38d-a1833926ce34.jpg

Howdy, I'm Mocha!, Ginger!'s stepsister. Mrs Chuy! and the kids rescued me from a shelter when I was a few weeks old. Rumor has it Chuy! didn't even want me at first, but now all is forgiven 'cause he takes me out with Ginger! whenever he can. I'm seven months old and single :D . 65b64aa0-d147-403f-b66c-f5263a0ed9a1.jpg

I smell a cache

f7a06c8a-d57d-4e0f-8032-1655155cfa6b.jpg

Izzy playing with my ears

73ceefc9-e6b9-466e-86f0-86f23ef2016f.jpg

zoie is my caching dog. she's a west highland white terrier. before zoie was bailey the black cocker spaniel. bailey was much more into hiking. zoie will hike short distances about a mile-then sit down. I usually have to carry her at that point. bailey would hike 3-4 miles and she kept going.

Reggie is my new dog, but I haven't taken him geocaching yet. He is a 2yo Black Lab/Springer mix we got on Sunday. As of Saturday, neither my wife nor I knew we were looking for a dog. Then, my wife was at a friend's house and met him and fell in love.

The friend was dogsitting him for her sister-in-law, a veterinary surgeon. When Reggie was a year old, he was involved in a car accident, and his right front leg was broken so badly it could not be reset. The vet had a choice--put him down, or remove the leg and scapula. His owners couldn't afford the surgery, so they were going to have to put him down--but the surgeon said that she would take him and find him a new home if need be. So, Reggie had the surgery, then went to live with the surgeon's S-I-L (my wife's friend, who already had a Lab/Springer mix dog), and now he has joined our family. My wife and four kids (and me!) all love him, and he is a sweetheart.

But, before I take him out on any hikes, I want to talk with our vet about his special needs--harness, foot care, terrain difficulties, length of hikes, etc. I'll post a picture when I can.

But, before I take him out on any hikes, I want to talk with our vet about his special needs--harness, foot care, terrain difficulties, length of hikes, etc. I'll post a picture when I can.

I think you'll be surprised by your vet's answers. There are a lot of 'special needs' dogs running around out there with no problems. Reggie will probably be able to do anything a four legged dog can do. He will still need exercise to keep his weight off. I don't think the missing leg will affect his ability to walk for miles, but I am curious what your vet says.

Baxter the Cache Sniffer is a great caching buddy. However, the name is decieving ... she'll only sniff out the cache if there's something dead inside!! She can smell and hunt down dead stuff from miles away. :) She didn't notice those two bears that crossed the trail in front of us that one time, but had no problem dragging me across the parking lot by the lake to get to the turkey necks (?? go figure ??) that someone dumped in the grass. Her favorite caches are the ones that involve water or snow ... then she's in dog heaven! Don't know how I ever cached without her!

Baxter's a travel bug .. you can check out all her pictures at http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=654076

b2878157-f4b7-4998-b9cc-c6b117f779ac.jpg

Just wondering about all of those faithful trail-walking pups. Introduce yours!!

I always take my two buddies with me whenever I go hiking or geocaching. They never argue about which trail to take or complain about how steep the trail is. Well, sometimes the German Shepherd thinks he is the boss and wants to herd us, but most of the time he is agreeable. I sure do love these two hiking buddies.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/225a572c-5...da76db1ed03.jpg