Caching with Your Dog

meralgia

This is Max. 3 year old lab. He would be happy caching all day long.

This is Conrad, my 95# swimming, geocaching, loveable black lab and german shepherd mix, but mostly a lap dog!

Conrad will be one year next month. He LOVES geocaching, especially if we go near water. Unfortunately there are a few caches around with parks that don't allow dogs, and of course those freeway intersections, on those he stays home and pretends to guard the place :)

w2c8r8.jpg

Well, we have a new dog, but we haven't been able to cache with her yet. She seems to do very well on the trail and with the fam, so I think we'll have lots of good caching times soon. We have waymarked with her already, though. :)

She's an 18 month old chocolate lab named Abby. I'm trying to decide whether to make her a travel bug or a geocoin. :)

ba4113bb-e69f-4c80-acf5-5598f7f5aac5.jpg

Tory is my 16 month old dalmatian. She loves the walking, the smells, meeting up with people, running in and out of my legs in an attempt to knock me to the ground so she can maul me with kisses, but most of all, she loves cows. No idea why. And no clue what she'd do if she actually caught up with one! She sure makes caching more fun!

11561700-05e2-4fb0-b9d1-86758202c71c.jpg

but most of all, she loves cows. No idea why.

Are they spotted cows?

Looks like she could use a new leash...

:laughing::unsure: I never made the spotted cow connection! You are probably right! And yes, she has a tendency to play tug of war with her leash, so she gets a new one every month. Of course that's about how often I change purses, so at least we coordinate!

This is Conrad, my 95# swimming, geocaching, loveable black lab and german shepherd mix, but mostly a lap dog!

Conrad will be one year next month. He LOVES geocaching, especially if we go near water. Unfortunately there are a few caches around with parks that don't allow dogs, and of course those freeway intersections, on those he stays home and pretends to guard the place :laughing:

w2c8r8.jpg

95 pounds. That's about what Max weighs. Caching with dogs is sooo cool, but there are the occasional parks that don't allow them. I always feel so bad when we can't take him because when we get home, he greets us like we've been gone for years.

Mine, too, is an Australian Shepherd

I have trained him (easy to train a smart dog like an Aussie) to never let me out of his sight. SO, he runs ahead, runs back and around all day . . . going, probably, ten miles to my one in the woods and uneven terrain.

The last trip, I had to actually pick him up off of a log over which he was high-centered on the way back to he car and then again to put him in the car because he was so exhausted . . . he loves the time spent caching but is no help in finding the prizes.

This is Moxie. She's 3 1/2 years old now, and has been caching with us since we started when she was 10 months old. She absolutely loves walking on all the different trails that geocaching brings us to! If there are rocks to hop or downed tres to run along, all the better. She's like a little goat!

fc8022eb-2e53-445a-b4ad-688f36b113f2.jpg

6b314d83-8c63-4086-82e6-6d19c386c439.jpg

We usually take pictures of her with Tb's and sometimes geocoins. Here she is doing her very best to resist the temptation to grab the bunny Tb and rip it's stuffing out. She's so good!

57d222b9-c9eb-4d2c-a7ce-a771c7c17f3a.jpg

b85a25a4-cfe1-40bc-8f99-567352ae6ba6.jpg

This is our 9 year old Brittany Spaniel, Rusty or his pedigree name is "Brandy's Rusty Stub's"

2013e087-8221-4f4a-a2ca-9c9b5b1f8e98.jpg

This is Rusty near a cache with Ironman114, it was 90°+ where they were and he decided to take a break in the creek.

He likes to go hiking with Ironman114 whenever he can. The last time Criminal and Ironman114 went hiking to Wonderlake, Rusty was in the truck ready to go. I had to admit it was funny to see. :)

Sadly, he had to stay home with me. But he might get to go next time.

Unfortunately, we just lost one of the best geodogs ever at the all too young age of 4. (Geodog Dakota if you happened to see her name on any logs around central FL and other places). She was an all around great dog. She was wonderful on the trails. She always had to "scout" the trail ahead, but would never get more than about 50-100 ft ahead and then she would stop and wait. She also learned how to find caches with out being trained. I guess she figured out that when we went out walking through the woods and I stopped and started looking around that we were trying to find something. I assume she smelled the scent of those who had previously found the cache. She would find it and just stand quitely next too it until I caught on to what she was doing. This happened numerious times! I had a few caches in an area near our house where I took her several times a week for a walk/run. On three separate occations I went out with friends who were looking for the caches. All three times she gave away the location of all of the caches by heading directly to them and sniffing them. Funny thing is that not once did the cacher notice. I told all of them afterwards and they couldn't believe it. She was with me when I hid them and serviced them, so I guess she just remembered exactly where they were. She will be greatly missed.

We just adopted a new geo-pup yesterday. I will have to get her out on the trail as soon as she is big enough.

Unfortunately, we just lost one of the best geodogs ever at the all too young age of 4. (Geodog Dakota if you happened to see her name on any logs around central FL and other places). She was an all around great dog. She was wonderful on the trails. She always had to "scout" the trail ahead, but would never get more than about 50-100 ft ahead and then she would stop and wait. She also learned how to find caches with out being trained. I guess she figured out that when we went out walking through the woods and I stopped and started looking around that we were trying to find something. I assume she smelled the scent of those who had previously found the cache. She would find it and just stand quitely next too it until I caught on to what she was doing. This happened numerious times! I had a few caches in an area near our house where I took her several times a week for a walk/run. On three separate occations I went out with friends who were looking for the caches. All three times she gave away the location of all of the caches by heading directly to them and sniffing them. Funny thing is that not once did the cacher notice. I told all of them afterwards and they couldn't believe it. She was with me when I hid them and serviced them, so I guess she just remembered exactly where they were. She will be greatly missed.

We just adopted a new geo-pup yesterday. I will have to get her out on the trail as soon as she is big enough.

Our condolences to your family. Dakota sounds like she was a wonderful & special family member. I know she is over the Rainbow Bridge looking for geocaches there! :) Please give your new Geo-pup a big belly rub from us!

I cache with my dog Molly. She is a 1yr.old Jack Russell mix. I took her on her 1st cache the day after we got her when she was 10 weeks olds. All have to do is get out my cache bag and she’s running to the door.

Sometimes she has helped my by smelling where people have been. I found one in a bush one day that was having trouble with. She helped my today walking in the woods. I missed the trial going out and she turned and went down it. I think she may have following her scent. I don't know how to entry a picture.Ypu can look at my profile to see them.

Edited by PT_Tex

Great caching dogs, all of them!

As it is hunting season here in Michigan I feel the need to warn everyone NOT to take you dogs with you during hunting season and be careful yourself!

Not all hunters should be in the woods. They shoot first and look to see if they hit something and what it was when it is too late.

As it is hunting season here in Michigan I feel the need to warn everyone NOT to take you dogs with you during hunting season and be careful yourself!

Not all hunters should be in the woods. They shoot first and look to see if they hit something and what it was when it is too late.

Always a good heads up.

I only walk Gracie on a leash, but I still won't take her into hunting areas. I have spent a LOT of time searching out caches in areas that do not allow hunting. There are a lot I can't do now, but even with orange I just feel safer waiting until March...

Always a good heads up.

I only walk Gracie on a leash, but I still won't take her into hunting areas. I have spent a LOT of time searching out caches in areas that do not allow hunting. There are a lot I can't do now, but even with orange I just feel safer waiting until March...

I have been shot at while hunting and wearing orange. After seeing all these great companions in their glory I just had to make an attempt to warn everyone.

Always a good heads up.

I have been shot at while hunting and wearing orange. After seeing all these great companions in their glory I just had to make an attempt to warn everyone.

It's something I had forgotten about until I saw it in the New England forum the day after the season opened, so I imagine others have too. No one want to lose a companion like that...

do they make orange jackets for dogs that would be a good idea

Yes they do. Some remind me of what the guy holding the sign at a construction site wears...

th_ZeusLuna.jpg

My fur kids are Zeus, and Luna.

Zeus is a Belgian Malinois, he is the darker color of the two. The other one is Luna, and she is a mixed breed, but is mostly Anatolian Shepherd.

These two are one of the main things I enjoy when out caching. I try to plan my cache trips for the dogs. Keeps me and them all a little more active.

Edited to ask if anyone can tell me how to get a larger picture to post. This one is on Photobucket, and should show larger.

Edited by uxorious