Software for BlackBerry

5 Caching Campers

It doesn't run Windows Mobile (at least not what I have seen), so there isn't a Player for it yet.

No, it doesn't. And I"m thankful for that every time I pick it up (my previous phone was Windows Mobile and though I tried real hard to ignore it, it was really nothing more than a PDA with a phone application. The BB is a very nicely integrated phone/pda).

My coworker has a Windows Mobile phone. From what I hear from him, I can understand how you feel.

Still, I'm questioning how wise it would be for phones to have a Wherigo Player installed. From what I have seen of the iPhone (I'm assuming all phone GPS receivers will be as accurate or less), it would be difficult to do cartridges with "small" (< 20 meter diameter) zones. Perhaps it would be different in execution. And we're building for the future, right?

My coworker has a Windows Mobile phone. From what I hear from him, I can understand how you feel.

Still, I'm questioning how wise it would be for phones to have a Wherigo Player installed. From what I have seen of the iPhone (I'm assuming all phone GPS receivers will be as accurate or less), it would be difficult to do cartridges with "small" (< 20 meter diameter) zones. Perhaps it would be different in execution. And we're building for the future, right?

I find with my phone, a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Sprint, I can get to within about 60 feet of where the cache is. I think I could probably get closer, but even with BlackBerry maps all the way zoomed in, I just can't tell on the map which way I need to go as my "where I am dot" is pretty much covering the point.

I find with my phone, a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Sprint, I can get to within about 60 feet of where the cache is. I think I could probably get closer, but even with BlackBerry maps all the way zoomed in, I just can't tell on the map which way I need to go as my "where I am dot" is pretty much covering the point.

That is more of an issue with the software you are using, as opposed to any problem you have with the hardware accuracy. I use geocache navigator on my Blackberry 8820 and it takes me to within 5-10 feet of a cache with no problem on the compass screen.. Just an FYI..

Is there any software to do a Wherigo cache on the BlackBerry? Is there any plans to make some? There's only a couple less than 50 miles away from me so they're obviously not that popular around here, but I'm still a little curious about them....

Only a couple within 50 miles ?!?! You are SO lucky! There are states that have NONE! Michigan has 6 or 7 I believe. Having that many in Michigan in my most humble of opinions make them much more popular than say Wisconsin which has none!

Perhaps you could contact the cache owner or someone else who has the hardware to do one of the nearby Wherigos.

Only a couple within 50 miles ?!?! You are SO lucky! There are states that have NONE! Michigan has 6 or 7 I believe. Having that many in Michigan in my most humble of opinions make them much more popular than say Wisconsin which has none!

Perhaps you could contact the cache owner or someone else who has the hardware to do one of the nearby Wherigos.

I guess I haven't looked to see how many are actually in existence... Next time I'm in GR I'd like to try out OpenWIG and see if it will work on one of those caches by Conman. In an ideal world, I'd figure out how to make one in Muskegon :(.

I guess I haven't looked to see how many are actually in existence... Next time I'm in GR I'd like to try out OpenWIG and see if it will work on one of those caches by Conman. In an ideal world, I'd figure out how to make one in Muskegon :cry:.

I'd love to do one in Muskegon!

I see that this topic hasn't had an entry for quite some time! I recently purchased the new BlackBerry Storm with service from Verizon Wireless.

Since there hasn't been any replies on this topic for so long, I'd like to know if anyone has any updates on the subject. Is there a way I can install software and run a Wherigo cartridge on my new BlackBerry Storm?

I see that this topic hasn't had an entry for quite some time! I recently purchased the new BlackBerry Storm with service from Verizon Wireless.

Since there hasn't been any replies on this topic for so long, I'd like to know if anyone has any updates on the subject. Is there a way I can install software and run a Wherigo cartridge on my new BlackBerry Storm?

I no longer have a BlackBerry so I was never able to field test it, but I was able to get OpenWIG to run on my Pearl.

OpenWIG thread

Project Page

I was able to get OpenWIG version 0.3.91i to work on my 8830 last night. The OTA version is 0.3.92 and it wouldn't work, so I downloaded the slightly older version, unzipped it, uploaded onto my own website and then accessed it with my Blackberry to do an OTA install.

I loaded and ran the tutorial cartridge and it worked. The problem really seems to be with the Blackberry GPSr. I've noticed with other programs that it really doesn't seem to feel like working all that often, and it will get a lock and then just drop it for no apparent reason. That's what happened while I was trying to play the tutorial and as a result I was unable to complete it.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to configure my Blackberry or OpenWIG so they'll work together, I'd appreciate it!

BlackBerry folk, please try this build:

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.zip

for OTA:

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.jad

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.jar

the gps problems should (theoretically) be gone

Tried installing 2 older versions last month, & both gave me errors when trying to execute on my BlackBerry 8530, so I just left it until tonight. Wiped them out & installed the above OTA & just completed the Wherigo Tutorial without a hitch! WooHoo!! :huh:

Thanks a lot... looking forward to trying it in the field as soon as I can. Will report back with my results, though not sure how long until I'll make it to one.

Much appreciated!!!

Bob

with the OpenWIG for the BBs, which cartridge version should I be downloading? I am figuring it should be the PocketPC version. Please let me know if that is not correct. that version seems to be opening okay but I cannot tell if what is supposed to happen is. Does it only show something when in the trigger zones?

labrat: yes, the PPC version. it has the richest set of media, otherwise they're all the same

eagsc: JAD is a signature file, JAR is the application itself. on some phones, you need the JAD to install, on others, JAR is sufficient. i am not sure about blackberries, so i'm including both

I have the BB 8330 Curve and tried to run both these files, but...

Do I need some other software to open them? I get this error message: Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from : C:\Users....file path

I'm confused, but am excited to try Wherigo although I am aware that I might have to wait until it's time to get a new phone (three months, ugh) oh, and I have verizon, and I think I read somewhere that verizon doesn't support something I need to play.

:):wub:

Someone please talk to me like I'm 4!?

I have downloaded Openwig and went to do the tutorial - which I managed to complete, but kept getting warnings all the way through saying:

The application OpenWIG has attempted to open local content. But it does not contain a signature. It might not not be from a trusted source. Would you like to allow this?

Yes / No

How can I turn that message off?

I was hoping to install the latest OpenWIG app on my Blackberry Bold 9700. Can anyone provide the OTA for this? Greatly Appreciated!! :)

Not sure if it's the latest release but I found a website to download OpenWIG from,

http://code.google.com/p/openwig/downloads/list

I downloaded the openwig-0.4.1-experimental.zip and then transfered it from my PC to Blackberry via data cable. It seemed to install successfully and it executes without critical errors. This is much further progress than I've had in the past. And now, I downloaded and installed my first cartridge (I chose Pocket PC Device) which also seems to have installed successfully. Now I just need some good weather to give it a shot...

Hopefully that info helps out another Blackberry user. :)

I was hoping to install the latest OpenWIG app on my Blackberry Bold 9700. Can anyone provide the OTA for this? Greatly Appreciated!! :)

Not sure if it's the latest release but I found a website to download OpenWIG from,

http://code.google.com/p/openwig/downloads/list

I downloaded the openwig-0.4.1-experimental.zip and then transfered it from my PC to Blackberry via data cable. It seemed to install successfully and it executes without critical errors. This is much further progress than I've had in the past. And now, I downloaded and installed my first cartridge (I chose Pocket PC Device) which also seems to have installed successfully. Now I just need some good weather to give it a shot...

Hopefully that info helps out another Blackberry user. :)

This looks promising. I managed to do the downloads as per your method, then installed and then download my first Cartridge. I chose the closest know one which is approximately 45 km away (WIG is still very new to us in our locale).

Ran app and loaded cartridge just fine. Navigation compass display is also looking correct. Now just have to try the fun.

Thanx, this seems to be a solution for BB Bold 9780. I'll post the outcome after doing adventure.

I have a problem with my BB while playing cartriges.

Hardware : Blackberry Curve 9300, Version 6.0 Bundle 1879

Software: I took the download "openwig-0.4.3.zip", this installed "OpenWIG r428"

(With the older WIG-player I had the problem, that the compass refreshed only every 30 seconds.)

I tried to play 2 different cartriges. After a while, each time at the same place, I get this error:

Uncaught exception:

removeScreen:

Application tried to

remove a Screen that

was not added to a UI

Engine

Has anyone an Idea, what I can do?

I have downloaded Openwig and went to do the tutorial - which I managed to complete, but kept getting warnings all the way through saying:

The application OpenWIG has attempted to open local content. But it does not contain a signature. It might not not be from a trusted source. Would you like to allow this?

Yes / No

How can I turn that message off?

You can change the settings. I have the german version and I can't say, how it is named in english, I hope it can help you.

Go to:

"Einstellungen" (maybe "Settings"?)

"Gerät" ("device"?)

"Verwaltung der Anwendungen"

Then you can find all installed software on the BB

Software "Openwig"

Then you can choose "Berechtigungen" (maybe "authorization"?)

There you can allow for example "writing files" "reading files" and many other things. I set everything to "allow"

Uncaught exception:

removeScreen:

Application tried to

remove a Screen that

was not added to a UI

Engine

Has anyone an Idea, what I can do?

I have the same error it happens when I get to the area and it registers for the next step. I don't know what the issue is but I will try a few things when I get some time.

I've discovered as others have that the issue is with saving a file. If the cartridge autosaves it generates the screens error. The spaceship tutorial doesn't do this so you can play that fine (I did)

If I can figure out how to compile the code I might try to hack a solution (maybe just disable saving) of some kind.

I've discovered as others have that the issue is with saving a file. If the cartridge autosaves it generates the screens error. The spaceship tutorial doesn't do this so you can play that fine (I did)

If I can figure out how to compile the code I might try to hack a solution (maybe just disable saving) of some kind.

When I play the spaceship tutorial, the error doesn't come. That's also my experience. But when the tutorial says, that i have to go 50 meters away from the spaceship, I never reach the next step. The display shows the distance and nothing happens. So I maybe also have another problem.

When I play the spaceship tutorial, the error doesn't come. That's also my experience. But when the tutorial says, that i have to go 50 meters away from the spaceship, I never reach the next step. The display shows the distance and nothing happens. So I maybe also have another problem.

Be sure it is using your internal GPS, you have to hit menu and save otherwise it reverts. I also noticed that the distance wasn't correct but it was fine when I went the required distance.