Location Check

retrofit

this is from another topic but once i wrote it, it seemed to warrent it's own topic/thread.

my suggestion would be on the cache setup page you could press a button called "location check". it would give feedback regarding posible conflicts. for example a waypoint is within XXX feet @ # degrees true north of your requested location. I wouldnt need to provide exact details of what or where to spoil others caches, but would stop people who are really trying to partispate in placing caches from going down a path which will end in failier. this might reduce the effort reviewers having to write that I'm sorry your cache is to close to something that you cant see of find, as well as keeping the reviewers from being the bad guy who have to be the rotten people they are for not publishing my cache because someone is using the mile marker number 300 feet away as part of their mystry/multi.

heck it could even be part of the automatic form check woulud provide warning when you tryed to submit/save it.

just thinking there is a technology that could work here that would make everyone life a little easier.

soxpw7.png

Frequent request - a few times per month. Answer is always the same.

You should check with your local reviewer to make sure the area is ok. Either that or complete all puzzle and multicaches within 2 to 3 miles of the location so you know.

Virtually any and all automated checking methods have the potential of being abused to locate legs of multis and/or finals of puzzles.

You should check with your local reviewer to make sure the area is ok. Either that or complete all puzzle and multicaches within 2 to 3 miles of the location so you know.

Virtually any and all automated checking methods have the potential of being abused to locate legs of multis and/or finals of puzzles.

as this would be checking a tenth mile in every direction i'd find it hard to believe that someone would spend hours attemptint to locate a location that had a hit and not have any info regarding what it was that make the hit. i guess you could attempt to trinaglate on something, but still be clueless it what that was. heck it was just a suggestion, and if someone has brought it up before.. i did it again as a way to reduce frustration of those putting caches out and the reviewer having to be the bad guy.

as this would be checking a tenth mile in every direction i'd find it hard to believe that someone would spend hours attemptint to locate a location that had a hit and not have any info regarding what it was that make the hit. i guess you could attempt to trinaglate on something, but still be clueless it what that was. heck it was just a suggestion, and if someone has brought it up before.. i did it again as a way to reduce frustration of those putting caches out and the reviewer having to be the bad guy.

You know your looking for a mystery or final to a multi so you know what your looking for. You have an idea where it might be, but don't have the exact co-ordinates. With a bit of old fashion battleships and a bit of map work you can nail down a search location pretty good. Ask Keystone about his experience with folks playing battleships to find a mystery cache. He did bend the 528 foot rule and published the cache just so they would be stumped. And yes, some one would spend the time to find it by this method.

Jim