Forum Moderation

big_bob

Hacking's not quite the same thing as a bit of cut 'n' paste on a photo.

:grin: Goodness me, lighten up! Relax a bit.

It had a smiley on it. One of these: :grin:

Perfectly light, ta. Perfectly relaxed too. I actually thought the smiley referred to the news item and that your comment wasn't peppered with grinning emots implied you took another stance. I was wrong, clearly. :D

Plus I admit that I forgot to put in the necessary pixelated rictus. Here it is, then: :D

I cannot believe that my original thread to this topic 'muggle this' could have opened such a can of worms !

Do I get a 3 day forum suspension ? :rolleyes::):laughing::D:D

nope, you get suspended from one of your bridge caches for three days - by the big toe! :D:D

As long as it's safe to do so and you have the right equipment on hand. Plus I need a photo. :D

If I said or asked the above, I'd expect to get a warning and have the post removed, at the very least. What's fraggle's status at the moment?

My thanks to my doppelgangers, who've helped me feel I've been here 'in spirit' during my enforced absence. When I've done a couple of weekend jobs I'll be back to respond so some of the outrageous accusations made while I've been unable to reply to them and defend myself and my actions.

Anyway, it's nice to be back in person. I've been inspired by what happened on this oh-so-ironic thread, as well as a growing feeling that caching is about the numbers now to come up with something I think is better. I've asked some other people to evaluate my suggestions and I'm hoping we can launch it before the end of the year, assuming they feel it's worth going ahead with. It's not a UK-specific geocaching site -I don't think anyone really wants one of those- but it would be something you could play in parallel with caching, while offering a different, and dare I say, quality-controlled and broadly competitive, experience. I'm probably not allowed to say much more about it here (I can't help thinking there will be a rule about it somewhere, even if it's not written down anywhere) but I hope it'll be ok to discuss it on 'the better forum' - link in my sig line below.

I personally think that currykev and SP both had a nice long piece of rope and they quite happily tied their own noose and tossed it over the tree all ready to string themselves up with it!
You look to be in the minority (at least based on comments here, and on the GAGB thread) but it's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.
Now why do I think this? Well it is quite simple, I do not believe it was actually about just the avatar being used, I think it is more what was written under the avatars!
That's not what Jeremy said, but ok...
Currykev had SMUG-lle written under his and SP had something else written under his own, which I cannot recall if it was a direct attack or not. But suffice to say it has been changed back.
So you don't know what I wrote, but you're going to assume it was some sort of attack because it's been changed? Seems fair..! For anyone who missed it, my avatar used to have a t-shirt on, and the text under it said ...all I got was a 3 day ban and this t-shirt. That wouldn't match Jezzer's picture so I changed it to 'Behold the visage', which means 'look at the face'. Not a classic insult- I didn't even have 'hideous' in there. When I changed to picture back to placate Jeremy, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to leave the same text there, so I changed it to 120 day ban. Who's next? It changes quite a bit, as you can see.
When I seen the avatars with what was written underneath, I thought it was wrong and was a personal attack.
You should have said so at the time then. So should have anyone else who felt it was inappropriate, up to and including moderators; Kev's was up longer than mine, and he didn't get a quiet word of warning, public or not either. It's pretty easy to be damning after the event.
Was it a joke, well I think so. However an insult is within the eyes of the beholder, and Jeremy in this case was the beholder and obviously didn't like what he saw!
True, but as insults go... Anyway, I apologised to Jeremy (as far as I was able) and I'm sure it won't happen again. While I think about it, technically I didn't steal or borrow his avatar; I stole or borrowed Kevin's :rolleyes:
Paul & Kev when you get back and read this, I think you both poked the bear and he roared back at you.
I tickled the bear, but it turns it he's not ticklish.
120 days excessive, probably?
Only probably? Generous of you to say so anyway.
I think you both owe Dorsetgal a thanks for her vouching for you and getting your ban reduced.
Done and dusted, and if you'd seen the other thread, you'd already know this.
Something about kidding:

Pretty illustrative, right?

I know the Just Kidding game. That's where you bare-faced insult someone, and when they reasonably take offence as they've been insulted, you suggest they've no sense of humour (another insult, even if it's clearly accurate comment?) by saying 'I'm just kidding'. I'm pretty sure it goes on, and I may have done it myself (I can be quite rude, when I put my mind to it, but tend to save it for special cases), but I don't think it applies the Great Avatar Theft situation. What sort of insult is it to have someone 'borrow' your avatar for a day, unless they mean to try to pass themselves off as you? So long as there was no malicious intent, only mischief (it is that time of year), then I'd be flattered. Looking around at the forums at the moment, I am flattered :)

Edit: Sorry for all the posts; just catching up on three day's worth of responses while I was gagged and put in the corner wearing a pointy hat with a D on it. All done now. Back on topic:

Do I still think GS forum moderation can be heavy handed? Am I green and wearing a t-shirt? :unsure::)

Edited by Simply Paul
SP I was going to reply to your statements with reference to my post, but then I remembered you saying something about martyrdom on the other forum, so I don't think I am actually going to play for you? :)
You do what you like; I'd never dream of censoring you, or force you to do something you weren't comfortable with. That would be against forum etiquette.

Nothing wrong with a bit of martyrdom. I've been nailed up so many times recently I've had my palms fitted with zips... :unsure:

Staying 'on top', as mandarin put it, does anyone else think the outbreak Forum Angst a symptom of a deeper problem with what Geocaching's become? If so, if that was addressed, there would be less friction, and therefor less need for forum moderation, heavy-handed or not. Just a helpful thought.

snip

Staying 'on top', as mandarin put it, does anyone else think the outbreak Forum Angst a symptom of a deeper problem with what Geocaching's become? If so, if that was addressed, there would be less friction, and therefor less need for forum moderation, heavy-handed or not. Just a helpful thought.

No to be honest, there is Geocaching and there are geocaching forums. They are for the most independant of each other, you don't have to use the forums and you don't have to geocache. You can choose that which you enjoy, maybe one, maybe a little of both.

Geocaching maybe changing, there are more people doing it, I dare say there are a fair few people enjoying the pass time as a result of your efforts.

Is it any less enjoyable to go and find a cache, for me no.

Something about kidding:

Pretty illustrative, right?

That sums it all up nicely and reiterates my comments about it all being in the eye of the beholder.

<Disrespectful and totally "off topic" remark edited by Moderator>

<once again comment edited by Moderator> I am not bothered tbh. gag me again if you like I quite like it. More tea vicar?

Edited by Deceangi

I don't want anyone suggesting I've goaded or otherwise manipulated fraggle into the post above. I've emailed to ask him to edit it before poop comes his way. It's one thing to get stung accidentally, its something else to strip off and leap into the nettles.

I certainly didn't think you had goaded him in to saying anything. Without knowing what his original comment was, your post immediately after it appears to be a respectful one.

Considering it was myself that was quoted I am very curious to know what was deleted?? However I would prefer to find out in private rather than it being reposted on the forum.

From The Better Forum:

Guess you're right SP.

After following a link supplied by someone I merely asked if they were implying that Jeremy was [happy]. I had my question removed and I was warned. When I re-submitted the bit that was censored I got a 3day ban.

ooooh I am soo upset lol I think I might have to go away and cry myself to sleep. boohoo hoobooo boohooo

arrrrrr keelhaul his avatar that there's a fine lookin plank m'lad yoho

Just wishing to keep people informed. If it's all a bit too random, you might not know that Ellen DeGeneres likes girls best of all. Puts fraggle's question into context.

<bgger snip>

does anyone else think the outbreak Forum Angst a symptom of a deeper problem with what Geocaching's become?

No to be honest, there is Geocaching and there are geocaching forums. They are for the most independant of each other, you don't have to use the forums and you don't have to geocache. You can choose that which you enjoy, maybe one, maybe a little of both.

I agree heartily, Mongoose. Most recent problems with the forums seem to be entirely self-referential - angst in the forums about the forums. Diverting to observe, but nothing to do with caching, really.

<bgger snip>

does anyone else think the outbreak Forum Angst a symptom of a deeper problem with what Geocaching's become?

I agree heartily, Mongoose. Most recent problems with the forums seem to be entirely self-referential - angst in the forums about the forums. Diverting to observe, but nothing to do with caching, really.

Me too.

<bigger snip>

Me too.
I'm seeing what I'd call Angst Threads about fire tacks, an archived 'extreme' cache, Greenwich park, other London archives (inc. Last Delivery for a while; the UK's most visited cache) just within the last few weeks. This looks to be the only angst about forum angst thread. Nothing to do with caching, or geocaching.com par se, but perhaps relating to Groundspeak? I do get that the forums aren't caching, and caching isn't the forum, but I can't be alone in detecting (or imagining) some underlying themes.
<bigger snip>

Me too.
I'm seeing what I'd call Angst Threads about fire tacks, an archived 'extreme' cache, Greenwich park, other London archives (inc. Last Delivery for a while; the UK's most visited cache) just within the last few weeks. This looks to be the only angst about forum angst thread. Nothing to do with caching, or geocaching.com par se, but perhaps relating to Groundspeak? I do get that the forums aren't caching, and caching isn't the forum, but I can't be alone in detecting (or imagining) some underlying themes.

I suppose in a way I agree with both SP and mongers. As I see it, are there are two types of angsty (is that a word?!) thread - those directed at Groundspeak, and those more concerned with caching itself. Admittedly, not having been banned, I may have a slightly different view to SP, but I certainly can let those wash over !)

We also have the caching-related threads, like the ones SP mentions. We have a Firetack trail planned, I'm a central London cacher, and I like to do extreme caches, so I COULD let those issues affect my actual caching. But it doesn't. My Firetack trail will still be going ahead, and if I had to, i could have moved it to avoid various landowners. The extreme caches round here are still here, and still tough (!) and the London archiving off LAst Delivery DID annoy me, so I did something about it, and endeavoured to get it unarchived, for which both JonnyTuna and MissJenn were enormously helpful.

Now admittedly, maybe I'm just lucky, but none of the new rules and regulations have had too much inpact on my caching, and I venture to say I'll propbably never let them :unsure:

On that note, I'm off to find some caches in Crete! Enjoy the rain everyone!

Hi all,

the ban is over.

I will thank Dorsetgirl personally on the 8th Nov. ;)

Haggis Hunter receives a "DING" as he was indeed the closest to why the ban was implemented.

Apologies must go to Jeremy for me being overly disrespectful.

I have now moved on and have since broken my record for finds without a DNF last Saturday...thanks to drsolly's fine caches :D

Edited to add:my new avatar is not directed at anyone at all.I just fancied a change. :D

Edited by currykev

<bgger snip>

I'd add one other point - it's not just seen in Geocaching forums. I'm seeing the same in a variety of forums and email distribution lists. Add the time of year, with people spending ore time indoors at computers, to the general economic and political gloom and people get more inward-looking and antsy.

As said above, there are forums and there is geocaching. This problem is a forum problem - tupperware boxes aren't biting back, or winding people up.

You can't expect to play someone else's game (or use their facilities) and not abide by their rules, no matter what it is. :o

A lot of users of this forum would do well to remember that. Just because an individual may not like the rules, is really their problem.

Ultimately, if you want to take part, observe the rules even if you don't agree with them, either that or go elsewhere where you may find rules that suit you better. ;)

You can't expect to play someone else's game (or use their facilities) and not abide by their rules, no matter what it is. :o

A lot of users of this forum would do well to remember that. Just because an individual may not like the rules, is really their problem.

Ultimately, if you want to take part, observe the rules even if you don't agree with them, either that or go elsewhere where you may find rules that suit you better. ;)

Don't think anyone disagrees with playing by the rules, but when they change the rules or all of a sudden start enforcing ones that have been overlooked since the year dot or even making up new ones cause it suits them...........that's when people get annoyed :D