Forum Moderation

big_bob

Hi Jeremy! Nice to see you in these parts ... we met at the pub in London, remember? I was the one with the dog (canine type that is).

Doesn't 120 days seem just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bit harsh for something that was essentially a schoolboy prank?

It was funny, it gave us a laugh, didn't seem like anyone was hurt by it ... imitation being the finest form of flattery and all that!

For what it is worth, I think three days would have made them both sit up and be good boys again. :)

It can't be serious, can it?!?!?!?!?!

Tempted to request a 120-day ban myself - It'll do me good to be kept off here, I've got loads of jobs that need doing round the house. :)

Seriously... no-one likes a bully, Jeremy. I think you've made an error of judgement here.

Edited by PopUpPirate

As one Jeremy to another, can I have Simply Pauls's ban instead of him? It is a bit harsh. Really. Think about it. We're talking about a site that's dedicated to hunting plastic boxes in the woods and another one that's dedicated to talking about it. I think you may be taking yourself a bit too seriously, feller and he's likely to archive 180+ caches, which is going to spoil it for some of the people in what you seem to consider as the 51st state.

Hi Jeremy! Nice to see you in these parts ... we met at the pub in London, remember? I was the one with the dog (canine type that is).

Doesn't 120 days seem just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bit harsh for something that was essentially a schoolboy prank?

It was funny, it gave us a laugh, didn't seem like anyone was hurt by it ... imitation being the finest form of flattery and all that!

For what it is worth, I think three days would have made them both sit up and be good boys again. :)

Since you vouched for him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and reduce it to a 3 day restriction, as long as he doesn't put his foot in it.

Not bothered posting to this before as it's going round the same old subjects of the moment but it's interesting to note, rather like children poking a dog, if it turns round and bites the kids somehow or other it's the dogs fault. It's perfectly obvious from this and other threads that the idea is to push things and you have. You have a reaction.

Of course, we could just go back to talking about geocaching like evryone keeps saying is all they want to do?

Right, I shall now don my flame proof suit to await the flaming I'm bound to receive for not being in the gang.

For what it is worth, I think three days would have made them both sit up and be good boys again. :ninja:

Since you vouched for him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and reduce it to a 3 day restriction, as long as he doesn't put his foot in it.

Since starting the thread I've stayed out of the discussion for a while however I do have an opinion on this matter.

Jeremy, as our esteemed owner and leader don't you think you overreacted just a tad? From what I can see Simply Paul borrowed your avatar to play a harmless joke on one or two people in this forum. Everyone targeted (and others) seemed to have a chuckle. No hamsters were injured :(

As someone in the public eye, shouldn't you be prepared for people to occasionally poke fun at you? Surely it goes with the territory?

As someone in the public eye, shouldn't you be prepared for people to occasionally poke fun at you? Surely it goes with the territory?

Knock about humour can be fun for some, but if you go around "poking fun" at people it's only a matter of time before you do it to the wrong person or do it to the right person at the wrong time. It goes with the territory!

If someone persists in "poking fun" they need to be big enough to accept the consequences when they get it wrong.

Such humour is great between friends in the pub, it may transfer to similar friends on forums but it's more than a tadge risky to try using it against someone on the other side of the Atlantic who you may never even have met in person.

Since Amberel has nicked / borrowed my lovely avatar theme, I've decided to do the same. :ninja::ninja:

Edited to ask you all to wish me luck! :(

I would like to apologise for inadvertently being involved in this thing blowing up out of all proportion.

I didn't conciously pinch currykev's theme, it was an avatar I had used on the SECachers forum for some time and when I decided I should use an avatar here I just copied it across; it was only much later I realised the theme was similar to currykev's (though the picture itself is very different).

If currykev wants the theme back I'll happily go back to being avatar-less.

Rgds, Andy

Since Amberel has nicked / borrowed my lovely avatar theme, I've decided to do the same. :ninja::ninja:

Edited to ask you all to wish me luck! :(

I would like to apologise for inadvertently being involved in this thing blowing up out of all proportion.

I didn't conciously pinch currykev's theme, it was an avatar I had used on the SECachers forum for some time and when I decided I should use an avatar here I just copied it across; it was only much later I realised the theme was similar to currykev's (though the picture itself is very different).

Rgds, Andy

to be honest andy, there are several identical avatars I've come across over the years. I'm sure Kev and Paul aren't upset with you at all!

Seriously though, I would dearly love to know whether the avatar belongs to jeremy. never having met him, I don't know. However, the majority of avatars will not belong to the owner, unless they took a photo or created an image themselves, rather than borrowed a convenient one from the interweb! There's nothing to stop everyone having an identical avatar!

So does that avatar actually belong to jeremy? IS it the man himself? I always thought it was Harry Enfield, in which case I can't quite see what grounds there are for any ban at all...

Harry Enfield, I always thought it was James Stewart? Is it actually a picture of Jeremy himself then?

So does that avatar actually belong to jeremy? IS it the man himself? I always thought it was Harry Enfield, in which case I can't quite see what grounds there are for any ban at all...

Harry Enfield, I always thought it was James Stewart? Is it actually a picture of Jeremy himself then?

thanks to a 'man in the know' on the GAGB forums, it is indeed Jeremy.

And I'm WAY to young to know what James Stewart looks like!

Knowing now that it is Jeremy's picture, I will simply say then that a warning should have been sufficient!

For what it is worth, I think three days would have made them both sit up and be good boys again. :(

Should never have been banned in the first place. I think you owe an appology, you clearly over reacted.

I've been in email contact with currykev and our Fozzie avatars are going to peacefully co-exist :-)

He says to tell you he'll see y'all in 3 days :( .

Rgds, Andy

Well if we are talking Ursine Avatars then feel free to use Rupert anyone, just don't tell the Daily Express!

If it was our satellites, our game, our, web site, our forum and our top man, and one of them did that to our top man. would the view be different I wonder?

SP did say that he had been warned not to poke the bear with even the bluntest of sticks. He went and got a big one, sharpened it to a point and went and poked the biggest bear in the pack, and everyone is shocked that the bear roared and kicked him hard.

I have no point of view on this it is just an observation.

Our forum has Dutch masters who let us use their space and sometimes our members over step the mark in attacking the company.

One member has done something very close to what SP did and they have let him get away with it, for a long time. nothing has been said.

However it was not a picture of the man in question, and it was altered slightly. not a direct copy.

If it was our satellites, our game, our, web site, our forum and our top man, and one of them did that to our top man. would the view be different I wonder?

I like to think that my opinion would be the same, and that if the situation was reveresed, as you describe, then the offender would be asked to change his avatar back, and that would be the end of the matter.

I would still be of the opinion that the Big? Man seriously lacked any sort of sense of humour and over reacted big time. I really can not see how the geographic location of Jeremy or ownership of satellites has any bearing on this at all.

SP did say that he had been warned not to poke the bear with even the bluntest of sticks. He went and got a big one, sharpened it to a point and went and poked the biggest bear in the pack, and everyone is shocked that the bear roared and kicked him hard.

I did not see any poking of sticks either blunt or sharp aimed at any one let alone Jeremy, this IMHO was a bit of harmless fun that was pointed in Amberel's direction if anyone’s.

Jeremy really does need to go and get himself some thicker skin.

[quote name='uktim' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:23 AM' post=

Such humour is great between friends in the pub, it may transfer to similar friends on forums but it's more than a tadge risky to try using it against someone on the other side of the Atlantic who you may never even have met in person.

Actually, I and quite a number of others here have had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy and his family ... In the pub, as mentioned above!

Actually, I and quite a number of others here have had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy and his family ... In the pub, as mentioned above!

Yes, and seemed quite normal then, and willing to listen to reasoned opinions.

I think you're missing my point. You really need to know someone pretty well to be sure that this sort of silly joke won't be taken the wrong way. I wasn't suggesting that it was OK if you happened to have met someone in a pub once in the past :(

I personally think that currykev and SP both had a nice long piece of rope and they quite happily tied their own noose and tossed it over the tree all ready to string themselves up with it!

Now why do I think this? Well it is quite simple, I do not believe it was actually about just the avatar being used, I think it is more what was written under the avatars! Currykev had SMUG-lle written under his and SP had something else written under his own, which I cannot recall if it was a direct attack or not. But suffice to say it has been changed back.

When I seen the avatars with what was written underneath, I thought it was wrong and was a personal attack. Was it a joke, well I think so. However an insult is within the eyes of the beholder, and Jeremy in this case was the beholder and obviously didn't like what he saw!

Paul & Kev when you get back and read this, I think you both poked the bear and he roared back at you. 120 days excessive, probably? I think you both owe Dorsetgal a thanks for her vouching for you and getting your ban reduced.

I personally think that currykev and SP both had a nice long piece of rope and they quite happily tied their own noose and tossed it over the tree all ready to string themselves up with it!

Now why do I think this? Well it is quite simple, I do not believe it was actually about just the avatar being used, I think it is more what was written under the avatars! Currykev had SMUG-lle written under his and SP had something else written under his own, which I cannot recall if it was a direct attack or not. But suffice to say it has been changed back.

When I seen the avatars with what was written underneath, I thought it was wrong and was a personal attack. Was it a joke, well I think so. However an insult is within the eyes of the beholder, and Jeremy in this case was the beholder and obviously didn't like what he saw!

Paul & Kev when you get back and read this, I think you both poked the bear and he roared back at you. 120 days excessive, probably? I think you both owe Dorsetgal a thanks for her vouching for you and getting your ban reduced.

In this context, CK's comments on GAGB make interesting reading.

Just in case any of you were thinking avatar crime is just a bit of knockabout fun, think again.

Associated Press :grin:

The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead. The woman was arrested Wednesday and was taken across the country, traveling 620 miles from her home in southern Miyazaki to be detained in Sappporo, where the man lives, the official said.

Just in case any of you were thinking avatar crime is just a bit of knockabout fun, think again.

Associated Press :grin:

The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead. The woman was arrested Wednesday and was taken across the country, traveling 620 miles from her home in southern Miyazaki to be detained in Sappporo, where the man lives, the official said.

Hacking's not quite the same thing as a bit of cut 'n' paste on a photo.