You know you're a Geocacher when...

Team O-Zone

Do I qualify because I am planning a 6000+km (3600 mile) caching trip next year by motorbike, with the missus on the back, and have already pencilled in my 2010 holidays based around Australias first mega event- which is about 2000km away. And I recently did 900km in a day to grab 9 caches.

;)

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!!!

And for our next trick/trip

Just under 2 months time, we head off on our 2010 holidays. 5 weeks, about 7000km, including an overnight vehicle ferry trip to Tasmania. Our plans include grabbing an FTF, that will require a 4 hr round trip by light plane. The cache page mentions the plane trip, but suggests a multi day hike (I think its 7 days) which we dont have time to do. Plane trip cost will be around $440 for the 2 of us.

Hopefully the tally of the trip, including the Mega Event will be at least 378 caches. The cost so far for the trip, mainly prebooked tickets, amount to around the $3000 mark, not including accommodation or fuel, yet.

Do I qualify because I am planning a 6000+km (3600 mile) caching trip next year by motorbike, with the missus on the back, and have already pencilled in my 2010 holidays based around Australias first mega event- which is about 2000km away. And I recently did 900km in a day to grab 9 caches.

;)

Just under 2 months time, we head off on our 2010 holidays. 5 weeks, about 7000km, including an overnight vehicle ferry trip to Tasmania. Our plans include grabbing an FTF, that will require a 4 hr round trip by light plane. The cache page mentions the plane trip, but suggests a multi day hike (I think its 7 days) which we dont have time to do. Plane trip cost will be around $440 for the 2 of us.

Hopefully the tally of the trip, including the Mega Event will be at least 378 caches. The cost so far for the trip, mainly prebooked tickets, amount to around the $3000 mark, not including accommodation or fuel, yet.

You have my full attention and when I retire in 10 years I will be doing the same crazy and absurd things as well. With a big ol grin on my face the whole time. Believe it or not I've already started a caching fund account that gets deposits regularly from my paycheck and will be used to satisfy my weird and strange caching excursions, vehicles and gear that I so see fit down the road.

So tell me (or e-mail me through my account), what FTF cache you plan on finding. Just curious and am in no ways trying to get there first and pop your bubble, trust me, I'm stuck in Afghanistan for a bit. I'm just interested in checking the cache page out for myself.

Thanks and happy adventures.

;)

You have my full attention and when I retire in 10 years I will be doing the same crazy and absurd things as well. With a big ol grin on my face the whole time. Believe it or not I've already started a caching fund account that gets deposits regularly from my paycheck and will be used to satisfy my weird and strange caching excursions, vehicles and gear that I so see fit down the road.

So tell me (or e-mail me through my account), what FTF cache you plan on finding. Just curious and am in no ways trying to get there first and pop your bubble, trust me, I'm stuck in Afghanistan for a bit. I'm just interested in checking the cache page out for myself.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...22-ea0ea72c7e45 is the cache in question.

Cheers

Bundy

When the last thing you do at night before bed is to turn on your GPSr just to make sure you have a good link-up signal and all your cache locations are still there, only to turn it off again 2 minutes later satisfied that all is well ... for now.

I have finally stopped doing this ... mostly

This may only apply to n00bs ;)

When you sleep, you either dream of amazing places to hide new caches, or you have nightmares of that DNF earlier in the day.

When the trunk of your car is packed full of plastic baggies, tupperware, a big stick, flashlights, lots of AA batteries, geocaching clothes/shoes, and bags of swag.

When your family and friends get irritated with you because anytime you are ever near a geocache you know about, you tell them the size/difficulty/terrian/hint/last 5 logs of that cache and blab about how it's on your "to-do" list.

When the last thing you do at night before bed is to turn on your GPSr [...]

When you sleep, you either [...]

Sleep!? :) What are you talking about? :huh::D:)

It's when you stay awake at your computer all night, either planning possible next cache tours (that you never end up doing because you didn't sleep enough), reading through hundreds of forum threads or thousands of log messages (just for the fun of it), trying the same things over and over again to solve that puzzle that you've been trying to solve for over 6 months (even though you know it's never going to work that way.. you tried before), or just waiting for a new cache to pop up in the area to go and grab that FTF (even though you know your local reviewer is NEVER publishing caches at that time)...

So you know you're a Geocacher when you don't have time to sleep anymore :(:(:o:(

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...22-ea0ea72c7e45 is the cache in question.

You know you're a geocacher when... you click that link above ... and your blood turns cold ... because it's the very cache that you yourself are planning on FTFing in the near future. Let's see, he said a couple of months from now, that was posted on ... OMG!!!

Yes, my blood ran cold.

But then I realized it was a false alarm. I upgraded Firefox this morning, and now it's opening new tabs (eg, when you wheel-click links) in a new position, and I just confused that cache page with a different one I'd already had open.

Whew!

I guess that makes me a competitive geocacher, doesn't it? (EDIT: ...and competitive enough that I'm not gonna tell what FTF I'm workin' on. Heh heh heh...)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

How about one day after you have been released from the hospital after double-bypass heart surgery, you look for geocaches on the way home.

I did that in November 2006. We found about 5-6 on the 3 day trip home - only the 1.0-1.5 terrain ones though.

In 2008 we headed down to Dallas through Minnesota on vacation and it took us 3 days to get through Minnesota from Thunder Bay south because we were geocaching.

When the last thing you do at night before bed is to turn on your GPSr just to make sure you have a good link-up signal and all your cache locations are still there, only to turn it off again 2 minutes later satisfied that all is well ... for now.

I have finally stopped doing this ... mostly

This may only apply to n00bs :)

If I haven't used my GPSr in a while, I'll leave it on for a half-hour just to make sure I have an up-to-date almanac. I'm told it takes about 12.5 minutes to transmit and is good for about 2 months.

One should also do this if traveling. If the unit is on, it updates itself. However, if you take a plane and put it in your luggage, you'll need to update. I don't have a firm number for the distance; the low number is 300 miles.

You know you're getting serious about your caching when you actually know this stuff.

One should also do this if traveling. If the unit is on, it updates itself. However, if you take a plane and put it in your luggage, you'll need to update. I don't have a firm number for the distance; the low number is 300 miles.

You know you're a geocacher when... on arriving at an airport and stepping outside, the first thing you do is turn your GPS on and walk over to a clear view of the sky. And then you start looking for ground transportation.

When you ask to help your sister move by driving stuff to your sisters in laws 2 1/2 hours away. Plus, the family just asks where the cache is you are after. and is not fooled by your kind help.

Or how about you turn down a 2 hour drive to cousins wedding. Of course your drive to the wedding takes 5 hours and hits 4 extra counties.

Edited by PZ Dude

For military cachers:

When you've gone to the range, waited all morning to shoot, get told by the range NCOIC that you didn't have to come out because you qualified last month, and then you swipe an empty ammo can before you leave...

... a four year reenlistment contract should at least get you a free ammo can, right?

When the remote FTF that awaits for nearly a year, it either needs a 7 day each way trek in to grab, or a $440 light aircraft flight to get to GZ, so you pay for the flight, and 2 weeks or so before your flight someone else gets the FTF, but you go for the flight anyhow, just so your name can be in the log book of what must be high up on the list of the remotest caches in Australia.

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

I was listening to the Herman's Hermit's the other day (haven't in a long time) and suddenly I realized WHY he was "Leaning on a LampPost!" He was waiting for a muggle to pass by! Now I'm rewriting the song. "Could be a nano, a magneto, a film canister, a key holder, and any cacher can understand why, I'm leaning on the lamppost on the corner of the street waiting for a couple of muggles to pass by!" That's my next cache too...

Can't even listen to songs without getting hidden meanings!

I was driving from the post office back to work today and I passed two people standing on the sidewalk. They looked like they were looking at a seemingly random palm tree by the sidewalk. My first thought was to wonder if they were geocaching.

(I looked up the area but there are no caches there, at least not on the mothership.)

I had to take my wife to the hospital emergency room..and instead of waiting (we were told up to 3 hour wait) there with her my geodaughter and I went to look for a cache we knew was close by..does that make me a bad husband?..LOL.. :P

Hey if I was in the ER I'd rather my family do something rather than worry or be bored to death. Especially if I had a kid.

when standing at a party, you spot the guys fake rock in his rock bed.

When you find yourself at the store lifting logs.

When anyone ask you what you are doing you have the impulse to lie or make up something..

when people surprise you, you try to act "natural"

OMG I thought you were writing about us lol, very funny and soo true!

Edited by intershark

when, even though you're severely allergic to poison ivy, you jump into the middle of a PI patch with a downed log standing on a rock at an angle, and say to yourself "well the itching and swelling will go away BUT This cache has a TB in it!

(story of my week caching for 2 weeks found 19 dnf 3, 16 ticks off and 2 seperate cases of PI)

When you refer to Poison Ivy, as PI, as 3.14 (ok I may be the only one)

When you wonder if the flooded banks of the river are concealing that cache you just spent 2 hours looking for in the blazing hot sun.

when you curse a cloudy day because your GPS accuracy goes down to 50ft Accuracy

when you spend all day figuring out what you will say to explain yourself to muggles, then find yourself telling them you're measuring the distance between trees to see if they've moved

when you carry a stuffed animal as an icon, and even though you take pictures to remember a cache, you're never in them, but your icon is

when your friends call you and start the conversation "Hey are you geocaching right now?"

When one pocket is full of "made in china", the other pens and TBs

...you go to a new place, and the first thing you think is, "This would be a great place to hide a cache!"

I do that ALL of the time and I have not even been caching for a year yet.

Oh my gosh! I just started into this and I'm already doing that! It's so addicting!

:laughing:

Cheers

Bundy

Well, as it turned out, in the 4 weeks and 6 days we were away, we travelled roughly 9800km by car- that equates to just a tad under 6000 miles for you people over the pond, and thats without things like planes, trains, buses, and boats, which probably add another 1200km or so to the distance travelled. The tally, around 480 finds, including the coveted Mega Event attendance. Our find tally jumped from around 1170 to over 1550 in the trip. Really enjoyed it all, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Planning is already underway for next years holidays, up to the northern tip of Australia, a round trip of about 6-7000km again, with about 2 full weeks of 4wding, but unfortunately, not too many caches.

Cheers

Bundy

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

When you carry geocaching brochures, that explain our obsession, to show any muggles, or police that may bust you. You also use those brochures to recruit newbs.

You call your geobuddy at 3 in the morning to tell him you finally solved that puzzle cache thats been running your life for a week.

.....when the email account you created just for geocaching related business remains full of "Topic Notifications", "LOG Notifications" and PQs.

.....when you are more excited to read the email on your geocaching account then email from family and friends on your other accounts.