Name for Geopup

AUFishHead

Awww, im sorry for your loss. I lost a dog a year ago this month. I now have a great 11 month old lab/german shepherd mix. He is the ultimate geopup! Loves hiking, the water, goes on all dog friendly aches with me. Ummm, ok, back to your question.

I started with meanings of names before I found a name.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

I need some help choosing a name for a new geopup. Unfortunately we lost a great GeoDog a few weeks ago. Found a new puppy this morning. She is a female shepard mix. Would love to hear suggestions.

Weha Kida = native american for "little one" Don't remember which language, my wife found it we have a Jack Russel that is her registered name we call her Kida pronounced Kee-dah

My suggestion would be more from a technical perspective.

A single syllable word/name that doesn't sound like any verbal command you have for your dog.

My dogs are named Breeze and Raine (rain). Easy to say their names with commands and doesn't sound like sit, stay, down, come, here, etc...

I'm sorry for your loss. May this new pup bring much joy to your life.

Edited by Team Four Paw

Cache.

Short, doesn't sound like another command. Doesn't sound silly if yelled out loud out the back door (like Fluffy or other overly cutsey names). Nice solid sound. Also would stretch out to two syllables if needed.

And if asked by a muggle what you are looking for, your response of "My Cache" would be pretty honest.

Edited by Bamboogirl

I like Geo and Garmin, but don't think my wife will go for those. She is leaning towards Bailey. I could live with that, but was hoping to be able to find some caching related name. The dog we just lost was Dakota (may have seen her name in some cache logs around central FL). Without me teaching her, Dakota learned to find caches and would many times find them before me and then just stand patiently next to them until I realized what she was doing and found the cache. I guess she just picked up that when we went hiking in the woods and then stopped and started looking around we were looking for something and she sniffed out the human scents on the cache.

I said "found" meaning we found her at a shelter, not a wandering stray.

Keep the suggestions coming! She is having her surgery, so she doesn't come home until Friday evening.

I like Geo and Garmin, but don't think my wife will go for those. She is leaning towards Bailey. I could live with that, but was hoping to be able to find some caching related name. The dog we just lost was Dakota (may have seen her name in some cache logs around central FL). Without me teaching her, Dakota learned to find caches and would many times find them before me and then just stand patiently next to them until I realized what she was doing and found the cache. I guess she just picked up that when we went hiking in the woods and then stopped and started looking around we were looking for something and she sniffed out the human scents on the cache.

I said "found" meaning we found her at a shelter, not a wandering stray.

Keep the suggestions coming! She is having her surgery, so she doesn't come home until Friday evening.

I had a lab/pitbull mix named Bailey. She was crazy, but I loved her. Lost her a year ago this month. Bailey is a good name.

Cache.

Short, doesn't sound like another command. Doesn't sound silly if yelled out loud out the back door (like Fluffy or other overly cutsey names). Nice solid sound. Also would stretch out to two syllables if needed.

And if asked by a muggle what you are looking for, your response of "My Cache" would be pretty honest.

I like this one! I was thinking that......then there it was or Cachie.

Edited by yodazuk

Cache.

Friends of mine named their beagle "Cache"...called by "Cacher" on many occasions...

Has yet to train him how to sniff out ammo cans...but working on it!!!

We recently got a dog from our local shelter. It took a while for us to name her, but we finally settled on Abby, which isn't geocaching related, of course.

There's been some great suggestions in this thread. If you want some more reading, here are a couple other threads on the subject: Name My Caching Dog, and Name the New Rock N Roll GeoDog Cointest!.

I followed the other thread and have to put in my vote for my ultimate favorite (were naming a female right?) MAGGIE, short for Magellan. :laughing::unsure:

I The dog we just lost was Dakota (may have seen her name in some cache logs around central FL). Without me teaching her, Dakota learned to find caches and would many times find them before me and then just stand patiently next to them until I realized what she was doing and found the cache.

This could be kind of in honor of your old dog but different for your new pup. Takoda. It is indian for Friend To All.