Vista HCX new firmware 2.8 update

dualcore

Well, the problems I personally saw with older versions of the software were inaccurate odometer totals (early versions) and wandering GPS tracks (later versions).

Based on what I read here, and some info I got directly, the latest versions of the software are pretty reliable. (3.20/2.90) That being said, I have made sure to bring the older versions with me on my trip so I can revert back to those, if I have problems.

REF: Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Well, after a few months without trail hiking (doctors orders), I have had to “down grade” my chipset back to version 2.5 firmware, and software version 2.4 due to that pesky “drift” that popped up with every firmware/software combination from 2.6 through the latest release (effecting only the MTK “Bravo” chipsets). Since November/December, I had been running 2.9 firmware (chipset) and 3.2 software (the user interface stuff). That combo seemed to work fine here in the urban areas of Santa Barbara where we have no tall buildings, and enjoy a South facing coastline (unobstructed view of a WAAS bird at all times). I thought the “drift gremlin” had finally been whipped by the Garmin software engineers. Today I finally “broke the rules” and hit the trails for about a 5-hour hike to do some maintenance on a string of caches I own. This particular trail starts on a hill top and then drops into a canyon for about a mile, and then it climbs up to follow a ridge line deep into the foothills. The trail winds back and forth from one side of the ridgeline to the other for a few miles playing “peek a boo” with that southern WAAS bird every 10~25 minutes. On this particular outing, I had 2 GPSr’s on, and laying down tracks. I had my Etrex Vista HCx (the “drifter”), and I had my latest toy, which is a Forerunner 305. The Forerunner has the SIRF chipset, which is rock solid (I was primarily using it to monitor my heart rate, and record my step cadence, in addition to laying down a track). I have tested the SIRF chipset in my Tomtom against the Garmin Vista (MTK chipset) many times. I have also had the opportunity recently to have all three systems up and running at the same time (I bought the Forerunner just before Christmas, so I have had plenty of time to “characterize” its accuracy). I can say with a very high degree of confidence that the SIRF setups (Garmin Forerunner and Tomtom ONE XL) are much more stable and repeatable than the MTK chipset in my Garmin Vista HCx. Today, the Vista did very well all the way out, and most of the way back. However, once I dropped back into that deep canyon on the way back (about 4 hours into the hike), the Etrex Vista started wandering and never came back. By the time I got back to the truck, it had “drifted” off by some 200 feet to the East. I was not really watching it when it happened (I knew where I was, and I was not looking for a cache), but when I got home and overlaid the tracks in Mapsource it was obvious. The outgoing tracks were in lock step with each other (never more than 20~30 foot separation), but coming back (after dropping into the canyon) the Vista just started wandering off on its own, while the Forerunner stayed right on top of the outbound track it (and the Vista) had laid earlier in the day. This is exactly the same sort of conditions that generated the “drift” before. The unit had been on for more than an hour, and the available constellation of satellites was limited for short periods of time. The unit just never comes back to the correct position even when located in “perfect” conditions unless it is “power cycled”. Too bad! I had high hopes for the latest release because of the lack of complaints (so far) in this forum. Maybe I’m the only one? Anybody else seeing this? :D

I just (last week) made the mistake of using the web updater and it gave me Software 3.2 and Chipset Firmware 2.9 for the Legend HCx

Yesterday I had the worst drift problem ever and not even in heavy leaf cover - as usual the elevation went all to pot even down to -150m

Is it worth changing to 3.2/2.8 or should I go back to 3.2/2.5

Edited by OldjimUK

i took a 2 mile walk last night, just on the sidewalk, about 1 mile under trees and highrises on one side. i know it's not like hiking out in the wilderness or anything, but the track was dead on all the way from my front door and back. i upgraded to 2.8 and 2.8 the day i brought it home and it's stayed that way. not sure if this adds anything to the conversation or not.