Vista HCX new firmware 2.8 update

dualcore

eTrex Vista HCx Ver. 2.80 firmware Change History below.

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

- Fix 'Highway Page' shutdown issue with menu key operation.

- Correct power-on failure issue.

If you use webupdater, there's a GPS chipset update too, which brings it up to 2.80/2.80.

Is this website has bug or insecure?

As you can see from the forum list view,http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11,

I'm the starter of this thread informing people about the new firmware and chipset update. However, the first post content and author becomes MtnHermit's

I'm not here to collect credit, just concerned as IT professional.

As you can see from the forum list view,http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11,

I'm the starter of this thread informing people about the new firmware and chipset update. However, the first post content and author becomes MtnHermit's

I think the timeout that created your original double post ate the content of this one and left just the heading. Happens every once in a while around here. MtnHermit must have seen the title and ran with it.

forum hiccup - happens all too often.....

Does anyone know where I can get (download) a copy the previous chipset firware file (region file 2.70 and/or 2.60).

Thanks

Dan

I don't think GPS Chipset version 2.70 was ever released. Anyway, you don't want 2.60--that's the one that's been causing the drift problems. You can download 2.50 (the last known good version) in the zip file linked here. But hopefully 2.80 will fix the drift issue and there will be no reason to downgrade.

Does anyone know where I can get (download) a copy the previous chipset firware file (region file 2.70 and/or 2.60).

Thanks

Dan

I don't think GPS Chipset version 2.70 was ever released. Anyway, you don't want 2.60--that's the one that's been causing the drift problems. You can download 2.50 (the last known good version) in the zip file linked here. But hopefully 2.80 will fix the drift issue and there will be no reason to downgrade.

Thanks for the link. I was previously running 2.60 and had good results and would like to try returning to that rev if possible. I'm noticing that rev 2.80 produces very noisy satellite signal strength. (signal strength bars are all over the place) I didn’t see this at all with rev 2.60. Also 2.80 drops satellites much easier. I don’t know why but its noisier and less sensitive then with the previous rev under the same conditions.

Does anyone have chipset (region file) firmware rev 2.60 that I can download.

Thanks

Dan

I'm noticing that rev 2.80 produces very noisy satellite signal strength. (signal strength bars are all over the place) I didn’t see this at all with rev 2.60. Also 2.80 drops satellites much easier. I don’t know why but its noisier and less sensitive then with the previous rev under the same conditions.

Dan

Hmmm, when I saw the chipset fw update, I suspect one possibility is the decreasing of receiver sensitivity.

Customers complaint various problems regarding the previous chipset FWs. Garmin has been belive it is caused by high-sensitivity introduced multi-path symptom. Lowing the sensitivity can easy bypass the problem Garmin has been scratching head for for the past year.

Thanks for the link. I was previously running 2.60 and had good results and would like to try returning to that rev if possible. I'm noticing that rev 2.80 produces very noisy satellite signal strength. (signal strength bars are all over the place) I didn’t see this at all with rev 2.60. Also 2.80 drops satellites much easier.

Maybe that's a good thing? Maybe it was the receiver hanging on too long to bad signals that was the cause of the drift problem?

I have a copy of chipset 2.60 and will share it with others who think they need it. Somehow, I don't think I will get as many requests for 2.60 as I did for 2.50. :laughing:

I'd also offer the following suggestion to everyone who upgrades to 2.80/2.80. Those files will download to your temporary internet folder when you run WebUpdater. Find that folder and retrieve the files - then you will have them if you want to back date to 2.80/2.80 if there are problems with the next update.

I have a copy of chipset 2.60 and will share it with others who think they need it. Somehow, I don't think I will get as many requests for 2.60 as I did for 2.50. :laughing:

I'd also offer the following suggestion to everyone who upgrades to 2.80/2.80. Those files will download to your temporary internet folder when you run WebUpdater. Find that folder and retrieve the files - then you will have them if you want to back date to 2.80/2.80 if there are problems with the next update.

so John, could you just give it a try to downgrade back from 2.80 to something else? With the appearance of a new map format (CN Europe 2009 - only compatible with mapsource 6.14.1, no more .img but something else) and the impossibility to downgrade Nuvis I'ld like to know if downgrade is still possible from 2.80. Many of you have upgraded already, so you don't risk much by just trying out wheter downgrades are still possible.....

so John, could you just give it a try to downgrade back from 2.80 to something else? With the appearance of a new map format (CN Europe 2009 - only compatible with mapsource 6.14.1, no more .img but something else) and the impossibility to downgrade Nuvis I'ld like to know if downgrade is still possible from 2.80. Many of you have upgraded already, so you don't risk much by just trying out wheter downgrades are still possible.....

I haven't tried it yet and probably won't because I am not impressed with chipset 2.60. I had downgraded 2.70/2.60 to 2.70/2.30 and, when I first turned it on, the unit would not lock onto the satellites any better than an estimated error in excess of 150+ ft.. Although, it then locked on when I restarted the unit, I wasn't happy with it. I went back to 2.70/2.60 and then downgraded to 2.70/2.50. That configuration seemed to be working reasonably well.

I have upgraded to 2.80/2.80 and, although I have not tested it extensively, my initial impressions are favorable - quick lock up and onto more satellites with a lower estimated error rate than with previous configurations. I've done one walk in my neighborhood and got a clean track that was reasonably consistent with the trip computer. That one might not have been a good test of the odometer, however, because my pace was quick enough that I probably would not have experienced the odometer problem with the older configuration (I also think that the odometer problem was significantly less with 2.7/2.5). So, at the moment, I don't feel compelled to backdate the unit but I'm reasonably certain I could if I wanted to.

edit: even though I had no compelling need, I did try the back date to chipset 2.60. It worked the same way the the other backdates did. But, I did not leave 2.8/2.6 on the gps - I reset it to 2.8/2.8

Edited by jmundinger

I will start saving the updates as you recommend above. Regarding chipset firmware rev 2.60, will you post a download link or can you e-mail me a copy. I could really use unit s/w 2.70 as well. 2.70/2.60 was the combination that worked well previous to the recent upgrade.

Thanks Much

Dan

Hello everyone

I did a small neighbor trip with 2.80/2.80 and first tests are very bad.

The unit lock's quickly and with good signal but the odometer and the moving time they just keep recording even if i stand still for 2 or three minutes.

I don't have any comment's yet about drift issue because the walk was small and with accuracy ranging from 9 to 15 meters.

Regarding chipset firmware rev 2.60, will you post a download link or can you e-mail me a copy. I could really use unit s/w 2.70 as well. 2.70/2.60 was the combination that worked well previous to the recent upgrade.

I sent a copy to a Dan earlier today. If that was a different Dan, please send me an email so that I have a return email address to send it to.

The unit lock's quickly and with good signal but the odometer and the moving time they just keep recording even if i stand still for 2 or three minutes.

My Vista with 2.80/2.80 is behaving perfectly. I didn't experience that odometer/moving time problem, even in poor receiving condition. Signal seemed stronger than combination 2.70/2.30

L.A.

Corey, this situation is so touchy that any advice could result in a ... dead unit.

Difficult to help you without being exposed to a bad result.

I would suggest anyway that you interrupt the process by, first trying to cancel it from your computer, second, by unpluging USB cable. And of course, try to upload firmware once again.

Good luck...

My Vista with 2.80/2.80 is behaving perfectly. I didn't experience that odometer/moving time problem, even in poor receiving condition. Signal seemed stronger than combination 2.70/2.30

L.A.

Did you do a hard reset?

I have my vista right now standing perfectly still on my balcony table for 1.30 hours and the unit reads

-odometer - 630 m

-moving time 7min

-standing time 1.23.

-signal 10m

well i think i am going back to 2.70/2.50 (or just drop my unit in the garbage...)

Edited by EFIALTIS

I am a hardcore backpacker and long-time GPS user, having owned several Garmin units over the years. I recently purchased a Vista HCx from Amazon.com that I immediately upgraded from 2.60/2.60 to 2.70/2.60.

On my first test walk of about 5 miles, the drift problem was horrible with portions of the track shifted more than 900 feet from where it should have been. On a couple of subsequent walks, I observed the same kinds of systematic positional errors that developed after the unit had been powered on for a while.

After reading some of the posts here, I downgraded the GPS chipset software to 2.50 (keeping the 2.70 unit software) and on at least one test walk (of only about 2 miles), the tracks seemed OK. I should also note that after first noticing the problem, I've been using my trusty Geko 301 as a reference unit, packing the Geko in one shirt pocket and the Vista in the other. I also upload both tracks to various mapping applications (TopoUSA, Google Earth, NG Topo) to help evaluate accuracy.

When the new Garmin software became available a couple of days ago, I upgraded to 2.80/2.80. Today, I took my first 8-mile walk since the upgrade around Burke Lake (from the South Run Rec Center) in Northern VA. Much of the trail is situated under fairly heavy tree cover, though the terrain is mostly flat.

The Vista track was dead-on. No detectable drift at all. There was also far less "jitter" than the Geko and the track showed no breaks (the Geko recorded about 15 separate track segments, in part because of the foliage, and in part because of the way I carry it).

So far, the results appear very promising. I'll report back if I observe any future problems.

Jim Wood.

Edited by jamesewood

Upgraded my Vista HCx to 2.80/2.80 a couple of days ago & went on a trek yesterday.

Trip Odometer 15.5km

Mapsource Track Log 15.5km.

Relatively flat terrain with little overhead vegetation plus lots of heavy rain. No stray points & drift detected. However, when I compared with my buddy's Legend HCx (2.60/2.60) side by side, his satellite page showed better strength of a few individual satellites & his unit detected a couple more satellites than mine (although at a very low strength). Accuracy range throughout the trek was from 3 to 10m. Also noticed, at times the map redraw was noticeably slower (by 1-2 secs) as compared to before upgrade.

Left my unit at my window untouched for 2 hours today. Trip Odometer showed 59m with a moving time of 1min 19 secs. Accuracy ~ 5m.

Edit - Just checked the unit again. Total time 2 hrs 30 mins. Trip Odo 304m Moving Time 6mins 45 secs ! What changed in the last half hour is that it stopped drizzling & the sky became overcast.

I don't know what to make of all these yet but the overall experience with the upgraded Vista HCx still feels very good.

Edited by j.harbs

I haven't had a chance to put my Vista HCx with 2.80/2.80 to a serious field test, yet. But, my initial impressions have been favorable. As we compare our results, I also think it's important to keep our expectations realistic. It would be nice if we could get survey-grade performance from a consumer grade gps, but I don't think we have a legitimate beef if the Vista HCx only gives us consumer grade performance.

Possible Bug:

I upgraded to 2.80/2.80. When driving/navigating with City Navigator NT 2009, I noticed the Turn Warning (early) tone no longer beeps, only the Turn Warning (final) does.

Contacted Garmin and they recommended a reset and reinstall. Tried that and now the Turn Warning (early) only beeps occasionally when it should. With only the Turn Warning (final) beep, sometimes it doesn't give you enough time to react to the turn.

Going to try downgrading...

Anybody else experience this problem yet?

Trent

A bug i have noticed which seems to create the problems:

The unit locks very fast with good signal BUT it wont loose the signal when needed.

What i mean - you walk into the town and have a signal of 10m and then you enter a building and you go into the elevator.

The unit doesn't loose the signal as it should but for 1-2 minutes it keeps reading a signal of 15-20m and it keeps recording data of moving time - speed - and odometer.

Remember that you are into a closed elevator and this should not be happening!

This isn't happening with gps SW 2.50 and the unit is reacting normally.

Anybody noticed this behavior except me?

Well it's usefull not to loose a signal when driving through a tunnel.

As long as this is not recorded on the tracklock (wasn't with older firmware at least, don't know about 2.80) I would find this acceptable for up to 2 minutes.

you can see your firmware versions by pressing menu in: setup menu/ system, then "software version".

And for those of you that are getting the black line/gray screen of death on your Etrex, Garmin says to do this:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

You can disable WAAS on your Legend so it will work right now. Here are the instructions to do so:

With the unit powered on, please press MENU twice

Press ENTER on SETUP

Press ENTER on SYSTEM

Press ENTER under WAAS

Press ENTER on DISABLED

Once you have your computer cable, please use these instructions to update the Legend:

1. Please go to the WebUpdater webpage by clicking on the following link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-27

2. You will see a link labeled Download, please click on it.

3. You will be asked if you want to Run or Save the file, please click Run.

4. After the file downloads, you may receive a security warning; if you do, please click Run.

5. Please select your setup language and click Next (the following instructions are based on the English selection).

6. You will see a new window; please click Next.

7. A license agreement will appear; please agree to the terms and then click Next.

8. You will see the destination folder, please click Next.

9. Click Install; the WebUpdater installation will begin.

10. After the installation, please ensure that there is a checkmark next to Yes, I want to launch WebUpdater now and then click Finish.

11. The WebUpdater program will launch - again, please ensure that your unit is connected to the computer and turned on.

12. Click Next; you will then be prompted to select your GPS.

13. A new window will appear with information about the update for your unit, please click Next.

14. A new license agreement will appear, please click that you agree and then click Next.

15. The unit's internal operating system/software (sometimes called "firmware") will then be updated.

16. Once the download is complete, please click Finish. The unit is now updated and ready to use.

A bug i have noticed which seems to create the problems:

The unit locks very fast with good signal BUT it wont loose the signal when needed.

What i mean - you walk into the town and have a signal of 10m and then you enter a building and you go into the elevator.

The unit doesn't loose the signal as it should but for 1-2 minutes it keeps reading a signal of 15-20m and it keeps recording data of moving time - speed - and odometer.

Remember that you are into a closed elevator and this should not be happening!

This isn't happening with gps SW 2.50 and the unit is reacting normally.

Anybody noticed this behavior except me?

Sorry for telling this is no bug...

It actually keeps on logging into the tracklog even if signal is lost keeping the vector you've been going before for well some time. This is definitely a bug. (it should internally for autorouting reasons do this, but not record it to the tripcomputer, or even worse put the estimated positions based on prolonging the vector into the tracklog.) I moved with around 3-4km/h into a mountain hut. The tracklog continues with this speed for about furhter 60-70m. This is definitely a bug and not a feature.

Thanks

Dan

Once you get to the download page for Unit SW 2.80 you can just cut & paste and edit the link to get any version back to 2.30:

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_280.exe

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_270.exe

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_260.exe

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_250.exe

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_240.exe

http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVistaHCx_230.exe

It appears you can't do the same with the GPS SW though. It requires the Webupdater.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3735

It appears you can't do the same with the GPS SW though. It requires the Webupdater.

Correct, but with one important caveat. When you run WebUpdater - for either the unit software or for the chipset software - the file downloads to the temporary internet folder. You can save it from that file. Then, if you want to backdate from a future update, you already have it.

Possible Bug:

I upgraded to 2.80/2.80. When driving/navigating with City Navigator NT 2009, I noticed the Turn Warning (early) tone no longer beeps, only the Turn Warning (final) does.

Contacted Garmin and they recommended a reset and reinstall. Tried that and now the Turn Warning (early) only beeps occasionally when it should. With only the Turn Warning (final) beep, sometimes it doesn't give you enough time to react to the turn.

Going to try downgrading...

Anybody else experience this problem yet?

Trent

I haven't yet upgraded to 2.8/2.8, but I have been having this problem ever since installing 2.7/2.6.

I am a hardcore backpacker and long-time GPS user, having owned several Garmin units over the years. I recently purchased a Vista HCx from Amazon.com that I immediately upgraded from 2.60/2.60 to 2.70/2.60.

On my first test walk of about 5 miles, the drift problem was horrible with portions of the track shifted more than 900 feet from where it should have been. On a couple of subsequent walks, I observed the same kinds of systematic positional errors that developed after the unit had been powered on for a while.

After reading some of the posts here, I downgraded the GPS chipset software to 2.50 (keeping the 2.70 unit software) and on at least one test walk (of only about 2 miles), the tracks seemed OK. I should also note that after first noticing the problem, I've been using my trusty Geko 301 as a reference unit, packing the Geko in one shirt pocket and the Vista in the other. I also upload both tracks to various mapping applications (TopoUSA, Google Earth, NG Topo) to help evaluate accuracy.

When the new Garmin software became available a couple of days ago, I upgraded to 2.80/2.80. Today, I took my first 8-mile walk since the upgrade around Burke Lake (from the South Run Rec Center) in Northern VA. Much of the trail is situated under fairly heavy tree cover, though the terrain is mostly flat.

The Vista track was dead-on. No detectable drift at all. There was also far less "jitter" than the Geko and the track showed no breaks (the Geko recorded about 15 separate track segments, in part because of the foliage, and in part because of the way I carry it).

So far, the results appear very promising. I'll report back if I observe any future problems.

Jim Wood.

UPDATE (10-19-08):

I am sorry to report that the drift problem has NOT been solved with 2.80/2.80. During today's walk around the same Burke Lake mentioned in the initial post, the track began to drift from its true position after the Vista HXc had been powered on for about an hour. By the time the walk was complete, the average track shift error ran from about 500 feet to almost 900 feet.

I have no idea what's causing the problem, but I'm past the point of caring. I've already spent too much time on a device that doesn't work right, so it's back to Amazon in the morning. Time to take another look at DeLorme...

Jim Wood.

I bought a Vista HCx with the express purpose of taking it on my honeymoon to track EVERY inch of our cruise, excursions, and to start caching once we got back home. It was purchased from NewEgg in August of this year, and I had 2.7/2.6 installed while we were on our cruise, and I've recently updated to 2.8/2.8

I've not personally had any major issues with this unit, except while we were in Manhattan, and it looked like I was on tweak running up and down, back and forth among all of the skyscrapers. I know that blocks of tall buildings don't do these units any favors, so it's not something I'll blame on Garmin. Throughout our tours of Copenhagen, England and Ireland, Greenland, Canada, NYC, and then keeping tabs on our flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Long Beach from the window seat, it gave great, accurate positioning, without any drift that I could find.

The only minor issue is that I found (when running 2.7/2.6) that every once in a while, every hour or two, there would be one or two points that were WAY off the mark, and then it would resume what I would consider to be a proper path. I only really recall this happening with the GPS on the balcony of our stateroom, and since it was only getting half of the sky in its view, I don't suppose I can blame this on Garmin, either. At least not with the experience I've been having. I'll keep an eye on 2.8/2.8, but I'm not seeing any huge problems with that software, either.

After reading all of the drama with the eTrex series, I've seriously considered selling it and getting a 60CSx, which is the apparent gold standard among the Garmin lovers around here. I'm not disappointed in the Vista HCx, but the SiRFstar III seems to be something I'd appreciate in settings like Manhattan.

Abandoning 2.8 / 2.8 !

I had made several posts showing great success w/ 2/7 / 2.6. I had overlaid five tracks on a 5+ mile hike (about one per week) and they were dead-on. The geocache on the trail was consistently right on.

Loaded 2.8 / 2.8 last week and did the hard reset. Went on the hike twice this weekend. On Saturday, I couldn't get a fix after 10 minutes, so I power cycled the unit. Finally got a fix - but achieved no better than 100' accuracy. So I did another hard reset (while on the hike). Accuracy was ok, but not great. On Sunday, accuracy was better, but not as good as w/ 2.7 / 2.6. The cache was 15 feet off (really bad compared to 2.7 / 2.6). I couldn't test the cache on Saturday as the hard reset wiped it out of the unit.

I'm back to 2.7 / 2.6 and next weekend I'll retry the test. If it's right on the trail & cache, I'm happy. Garmin may have different iterations of the chipset out in the Vista HCx and if that's the case, it may help to explain why no one combo seems to be working for everyone.

interesting that I don't have any drifting problem with my vista hcx since I got it beginning of the year. Been to Yosemite, Mammoth, SanFran city, PCH, and many other places. Original version was 2.4/2.3, upgraded to 2.7/2.3 and again 2.8/2.8. Been tracked about 20 miles on foot in the city since 2.8/2.8, averaging 3 mph.

When you guys are talking about the accuracy, are you referring to the circle or the +/- number on the satellite page? Currently the SAT page gives "+/- 23ft" on "Location" and the diameter of the circuit is about 150ft. I am on the first floor of the two stories industrial building, closest window is about 100 feet away. The unit is laying flat on the desk. And the whole morning the track variation is about 150 feet also.

Edit: currently tracking 17 and 28 with 4+ bars, 4, 8, 15, and 26 with 2+ bars, 9, 11 in&out.

My moto Q9 internel GPS/google map also track pretty well, almost dead on. But the DeLorme BT-20 is having a hard time. BT-20 is using the ST chip, which suppose is a hi-sens chip also. It took the BT about an hour to get a 3D fix.

Edited by BurnAss

When we speek about accuracy we look at the tracklogs. The Accuracy shown on the satellite page can be utter nonsense. Especially if the view is shiedeld of to one side only, or in a canyon where many reflected signals will be received. (or in a building maybe too). Then it might show 20m accuracy (normally this should be true for 95% off every single measure), but be 100-200m off. Generally if it shows Accuracy below 6-7m than the position is allways really in that range. Though with 2.80/2.80 I'm not sure anymore. My Vista never produced such bad tracks as with 2.80/2.80. I'll downgrade to 2.80/2.50 to compare with 2.70/2.50 and 2.70/2.80 (the 2.80 Firmware seems pretty buggy to me too, maybe the actual GPS-M2 Software ain't that bad at all).

I have tried several version combinations. For the last several weeks I have been using the latest 2.80/2.80.

So far, these latest versions have been the best. The Trip Computer page, which in some previous versions has been defective, is running very well. The tracks have been within the normal error range for a consumer GPSr. And, so far, I have not experienced the drift which I did in earlier versions and which you seem to be having. I have been using the latest versions for about 10 to 15 hours of hiking under various conditions.

Don