So many Travel Bugs are trapped in caches in the Caribbean Islands...

MsMotorcycle

I am traveling to several islands in the Eastern Caribbean, namely St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands), St. Maarten (Netherlands Antilles), Eleuthera (Bahamas) and Grand Turk (Caicos Islands). The first 2 have several caches and many of them have travel bugs/coins that have been there for a very long time. These caches get only occasional visits. The rescuer in me wants to scoop them all up and get them outta there and back into circulation. What should I do? Leave them there or move them along?

I've done extensive research on the islands I am visiting and which caches are active, as well as which Trackables desperately need to get outta there. Perhaps I'll take the ones in the most need.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Edited by MsMotorcycle

By all means rescue them all. There is no need to trade a bug for a bug, they are not normal trade items.

But perhaps those bugs are not there. Could be that those caches are used, unofficially somehow, as a lost/stolen/muggled travel bug graveyard instead of marking their location as 'Unknown' or placing them into an unpublished cache.

I'd say move as many as you can, the owners will be grateful to see them travelling again, I wouldn't worry about leaving any bugs in the caches, a cache that rarely gets found is no place for a TB.

My thoughts exactly! If I were in your situation, I would grab them all! and when I got back home spread them out so they can start traveling again.

I really don't understand why people would place TBs in a cache that is not searched or found very often. I am sure there are countless TB owners that wish they could just up and leave to find and retrieve their TBs. placing someone's TB in a cache like that in my opinion is down right ridiculous! Unless of course that were the TB's owners wishes.

Scoop them up, and bring them back to start circulating!

Thanks for the input everyone! I will bring back all that I can, providing I am not interfering with their goals. We leave tomorrow at 10 AM, can't wait........can't sleep......so excited! Thanks again!

I have a funny feeling you're going to get down there and find a large percentage of these bugs MIA; logged into the caches electronically, but long since gone in reality.

I remember when Disney World had physical caches (they were outlawed in 2005 or 2006) the caches there were the biggest black holes I ever saw for TB's. Worse than events even. :lol:

I have a funny feeling you're going to get down there and find a large percentage of these bugs MIA; logged into the caches electronically, but long since gone in reality.

Well in that case note what bugs you don't take so we can determine which ones need to be marked as missing.

I only had time to take a quick look at the U.S. Virgin Islands (and no linky's from me), but I believe my prediction is going to be correct. Vacation destinations = missing TB's from the legions of clueless non-loggers of TB's worldwide.

I just edited out the laughing Signal. Didn't mean to make light of the situation. Yes, if the OP still is seeing this, please make a list of missing TB's, and the moderator can mark them missing (as they should be). It seems very few cache owners know they can do this, or bother to even if they know.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

if i were you i'd take them all, but also add a note on the cache page telling others of your intentions - i know id be quite annoyed to travel there to grab a few and be left empty handed. Dont let that put u off though id be very anoyed to find my bug sat there for year and years...

While in the Caribbean, I came across only 2 caches that had bugs in them.

In Miranda's Muggler (GCRYW7) there was a TB and a Geocoin, I took both. In "A Life Well Lived - Enjoying all the Pasta" (GC1DTZ2) there was 1 TB which I took and another that was supposed to be in there that was MIA. I wrote a note in the log on the MIA TB saying that it was not in this cache.

All other caches I found while there were either micros or virtuals. Of course, I logged all the bugs I took and have since moved them along. I have been emailed with a "thank you" for rescuing them, even though one has a goal I can't meet. The owner was just happy I got it outta there!

I had hoped to get to many more caches and rescue many more bugs, there just wasn't enough time in the day. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sweet!

How was the trip?

The trip was great! Geocaching was actually the best part! We got to see places and things you don't see from a tour bus! Weather was beautiful, people were friendly and happy, despite being recently hit by hurricanes, and I ATE WAY TOO MUCH while aboard ship. The only downer, it was the longest I was ever away from my children and it was too long; I'll never travel without them again!