Garmin GB Discoverer

strumble

Are you suggesting I do a 2nd firmware update with the micro SD card installed?

Yes, I had to do it twice as I have two different Discoverer areas and each card reverted to 2.80!

I am wiser now and found that the SD cards are not 'Locked' and 'protected' so you can remove the outdated update.

You can by mistake remove the map image and waste £120!

:laughing:

Thanks.

I ran the 2.94 update with the Great Britain National Parks 1:50K microSD drive letter as the target.

Also, I have the 400t model, do you have all the maps enabled? Or just the OS Discoverer one?

I have all three enabled and one of them seems to be disabled in use. The Recreational Map of Europe is the one that seems to be missing.

Inside of the 1:50,000 National Park Coverage: -

If I am at the 30km scale as I get a simple basemap.

At 20km the map changes to the 1:250,000 OS map,

at 5km the map changes to the 1,100,000 OS map.

At 800m I get the 1,50,000 OS map.

Around the 80m & 50m is the closest I can zoom and the OS map be useful (not bad)

Outside of the 1:50,000 National Park Coverage: -

If I am at the 30km scale as I get a simple basemap.

At 20km the map changes to the 1:250,000 OS map,

at 5km the map changes to the 1,100,000 OS map.

At 800m I get a simple basemap

I'm going to test different combinations of map on or off's :rolleyes:

EDIT: OK, the simple basemap for >20km is provided by the OS Discoverer map microSD. So, it looks to me like the Garmin maps can be disabled while I am in the UK. Even if left enabled, the POI from them are ignored, imo

Edited by kevenh

:laughing:

Thanks.

I ran the 2.94 update with the Great Britain National Parks 1:50K microSD drive letter as the target.

Also, I have the 400t model, do you have all the maps enabled? Or just the OS Discoverer one?I have CityNavigator v2009, MetroGuide N. America, Discoverer and the Basemap [i had Topo GB v2 as well]Basically Discoverer over-ride all others if all are enabled!

I have all three enabled and one of them seems to be disabled in use. The Recreational Map of Europe is the one that seems to be missing.

Inside of the 1:50,000 National Park Coverage: -

If I am at the 30km scale as I get a simple basemap.Yes

At 20km the map changes to the 1:250,000 OS map, Yes

at 5km the map changes to the 1,100,000 OS map.Yes

At 800m I get the 1,50,000 OS map.Yes

Around the 80m & 50m is the closest I can zoom and the OS map be useful (not bad)Yes

Outside of the 1:50,000 National Park Coverage: -

If I am at the 30km scale as I get a simple basemap.Yes

At 20km the map changes to the 1:250,000 OS map, Yes

at 5km the map changes to the 1,100,000 OS map.Yes

At 800m I get a simple basemapNo it is the autorouting CityNavigator

I'm going to test different combinations of map on or off's :rolleyes:

EDIT: OK, the simple basemap for >20km is provided by the OS Discoverer map microSD. So, it looks to me like the Garmin maps can be disabled while I am in the UK. Even if left enabled, the POI from them are ignored, imo

Edited by strumble

Hi anyone know of a way to back-up the Great Britain National Parks 1:50K microSD card, you know just in case :ph34r:

You should be able to view the contents of the SD card as drive on your computer when the GPS is connected. Just copy all of the files from the SD card to a safe place your PC.

Hi,

Thanks for this thread, I have learned a lot. I bought the Thames Path. I find the maps to be really slow - 3 to 6 seconds to redraw the screen is at my acceptance limit. But otherwise, the product matches my expectations well. I'm not even that much concerned with a slight blur and greyishness - at least the overlay (tracks, waypoints, routes) are clearly visible :-)

The only thing I am worried about is the SD card. I have found a good price on eBay (still above 100 pounds, but at least it was offered by an online retailer, they had it in stock and it was still cheaper than the official 129.99) and received the product today. The carton box looks original, but the card is just a standard Sandisk 2GB microSD. Furthemore, a sticker on the box claims "December 2008", while on the card I can find an unlock file dated 17th February.

Is my card an original one and this is how the product is sold? Or have I received a counterfeit product? I decided to spent 100 quid to fund some good mapping for GPS devices, not to sponsor some "smart" guys from eBay. How can I confirm my product is original?

Thanks for your help

The box and the SD card plastic container are stamped December 2008.

There is no unlock code on the SD card but there is updated 'firmware' which is out of date.

You need to check your firmware on the unit. The newest is less than 2 weeks old.

You are right the SD card does look suspicious as it is not marked Garmin!

I have two SD cards from different retailers and both are identical.

Thanks for your quick responses guys.

Are the cards that you have 2GB versions? It seems strange to me, as the mapping plus the "updates" are in my case only about 700MB. 1GB card would be more than enough.

I have 2.97 firmware and inserting the card did not downgrade it.

I have a gmapsupp.unl file in the garmin folder on my card. Unlike all the other files on the card, this file was created after December 2008. It is apparently an unlock file, there is some code inside.

Aren't the above fact suspicious? Maybe I am a little bit paranoid, but I want to make sure that I pay the right people.

I don't want to publicly accuse anyone without some solid evidence. So I will communicate the name of the retailer only in private messages for now.

It seems, that the structure of my card is similar to the above, but I don't have the gupdate.gcd file in the updater folder. Maybe that's why I wasn't "upgraded" ;-) The folder was modified in February as well, but not it's current contents - so maybe the file was removed then.

Edited by azzieg

Strumble

I am still a Colorado owner and have Topo UK maps installed. As I geocache a lot, I do zoom into 20' range when I get near a cache. From all the pictures of GB Discoverer maps, what would be seen at this zoom level? Would TOPO take over because the Discoverer maps woujld be so blurred?

I am thinking of getting the 1.50 National Parks SD card, but if I geocache and want to view at 20', I want to have a clear view of the area. TOPO detail is fine at this level.

Many thanks for your views on this

Bernie

Edited by BernieTheGeocacher

The screenshots show the Discoverer and the TOPO GB mapping.

27643158.png

34497859.png..81693297.png

53970959.png..17276935.png

At least the Discoverer shows your position at the cliff edge!!!!!

I would not want to walk the Pembrokeshire Coast Path [155 miles] using the TOPO in Fog or at night!

Discoverer at 20feet is totally useless.

I have both Topo and Discoverer loaded as well as CityNavigator.

Have the Garmin firmware updates corrected the problems for the Colorado [as mentioned prior to the numerous Oregon beta updates since the Discoverer launch]

Edited by strumble

Thanks Strumble.

I am not sure about the software fixes for the Colorado for Discover, but I have just upgraded to 2.9.5 BETA to fix other issues.

I will have a think about the Discoverer maps because it would be a pain to walk with discoverer and then disable to view 20' zoom level.

Maybe I should try Geocaching at a bigger zoom or rely on the compas view to get the best of both worlds.

Bernie

Sorry Bernie but I've found a mistake.

I was using the Pembrokeshire Coast Path SD card.

It has 1:50 and 1:25 and what I showed you was the 1:25 mapping.

You are buying the 1:50 National Parks so you will not get 1:25.

I moved out of Pembrokeshire Coast path area where I only get 1:50.

The Discoverer disappears at below zoom level 800ft to be replaced by CityNavigator!

1103.png...1108.png

Now thats more interesting indeed.

I was out geocaching this evening in Liverpool as I am here overnight and started to use the compas views for the final 100 feet or so to find the caches and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Now if I get the 1.50 Discoverer and start zooming in nearedr the caches and this changes to City Nav or Topo (I also have both on my Colorado), then that is a result.

In Geocaching mode I have TOPO maps and in Automaotive, I only have City Nav.

Many thanks foir your usual excellent feedback.

Best regards

Bernie

Every Discoverer SD Card contains CityNavigator for autorouting.

I changed my settings to Enable TOPO and Discoverer ONLY.

Below 800ft now the unit automatically shows:-

232r.png...12488811.png

I am larning as I tri to answair your poynts :unsure:

Edited by strumble

As this seems to be the place that the GB Discoverer experts hang out, I'd be glad of some help from you all!

I have an eTrex Vista with TOPO GBv2 (loaded onto a 2GB SD card from its DVD) at present, and am thinking of getting an Oregon 300 & the forthcoming GB Discoverer 1:50K Northern England & Midlands SD card.

I'd like to transfer the TOPO GB and GB Discoverer maps onto a new 4GB SD Card (Garmin say I can load the TOPO maps onto a 2nd GPSr, but I wouldn't be too concerned if I had to disassociate them from the eTrex). Can I combine the maps on a single SD card in this way?

The TOPO GB maps are too big to fit the whole country onto internal memory, so an alternative is to load on parts of the country at a time. Is this a better solution?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Chris

Well I got my GB Discoverer map SD Card today 1:50 National Parks and I am in the process of deleting the City Navigator Maps that I had and will put TOPO onto the unit. However, as you have just saiud, there is not enough internal memory. I have a Colorado and there is about 400 MB left after geocaches take up the rest of the space.

There is 1GB left on the SD card, but I don't want to and maybe could not load more TOPO maps onto this cards which I am sure would be protected opr something. Also the map name for the TOPO and the Discoverer will be the same, so they would need to be on different drives.

I am therefore just loading essential TOPO areas. As I travel a lot, I would rather have it all loaded on though.

Strumble has an Oregon and IU think there is more internal memory on that than the Colorado?

Maybe I should upgrade to a 550T? :lol:

Bernie

As this seems to be the place that the GB Discoverer experts hang out, I'd be glad of some help from you all!

I have an eTrex Vista with TOPO GBv2 (loaded onto a 2GB SD card from its DVD) at present, and am thinking of getting an Oregon 300 & the forthcoming GB Discoverer 1:50K Northern England & Midlands SD card.

I'd like to transfer the TOPO GB and GB Discoverer maps onto a new 4GB SD Card (Garmin say I can load the TOPO maps onto a 2nd GPSr, but I wouldn't be too concerned if I had to disassociate them from the eTrex). Can I combine the maps on a single SD card in this way?

The TOPO GB maps are too big to fit the whole country onto internal memory, so an alternative is to load on parts of the country at a time. Is this a better solution?

Chris

Not a good start with my new GB Discoverer 1:50 National Parks card. I am getting the GPS freeze up, TOPO maps on top of the Discoverer maps. I seem to get Discoverer down to 20' and all blured. I do get the Discoverer maps cut out below 800', but not in all locations.

I need to do some proper testing, but first impressions are not great. I think the Oregon software has been sorted out, but not the Colorado.

I have spoken to Garfmin today and they are going to advise me on what to do.

I will post replies later as I am on holiday for a week now and may or may not have access to the Internet.

Bernie

Still waiting for a reply from Garmin, but a few bits of information

In a non 1:50 part of the map I get 1:250 at .8m (Actually everywhere)

On the edge of the National Parks (Not exactly in) I get 500' = 1:50 and 300' = TOPO which is good

On the edge of the National Parks (Not exactly in) I get 1:250- at .8m

In the National Park I get 1:50 all the way down into blurr with TOPO on top (Double maps)! No good!

In the National Parks (Not exactly in) I get 1:250- at .8m

The Colorado has frozen several times for no reason, just in map view as I am testing it.

The resolution is not as good as I thought it would be and I see that the Oregon has had lots of software updates to get rid of these issues.

I am hoping that there is a software fiox for this or get Garmin to change my Colorado for an Oregon.

Bernie :huh:

Chris

You cannot transfer Discoverer to another card.

Each Discoverer is locked to that original SD card.

You can create one file for a combined TOPO, Metroguide and CityNavigator maptiles.

The recent Oregon Firmware update allows you to have individual image file for each type of mapping.

You cannot transfer Discoverer to another card.

Each Discoverer is locked to that original SD card.

You can create one file for a combined TOPO, Metroguide and CityNavigator maptiles.

The recent Oregon Firmware update allows you to have individual image file for each type of mapping.

Thanks Strumble for that info. I see that you can now download the GB Discoverer maps onto your own SD card, so presumably you could download 2 maps onto a 4GB card, or even more on to an 8GB card??

Chris

You cannot transfer Discoverer to another card if you buy the Card from Garmin - but the card will work in any compatible unit.

When you download the Discoverer it is locked to one unit.

So it seems a better choice to have the original card rather than the download!

Edited by strumble

I've just bought the Discoverer Midlands and North 1:50,000 maps in download format which look really good. The only problem is, try as I might, I cannot get it to download...

I go to the download page for them in the My Garmin website and they show up fine. I click the link to install them to my Oregon 400T (which has a 2Gb blank microSD card in, so should be enough space for the maps). It gets to the Downloading... stage and the green bar at the bottom saying "Estimating time remaining: calculating" displays. The only problem is it just sits there and gets no further.

I've tried it on my Mac running Safari / Firefox and the latest Communicator plugin. I've tried it on a Windows Netbook running IE8 Firefox and the latest Communicator plugin and they both do the same thing. I've let it sit there for a couple of hours to see if it's just being slow calculating the download time, but not a thing more happens.

I've even tried turning off all Windows anti-virus, firewall etc etc and it's still the same. The My Dashboard option on the site works perfectly with the Oregon and gets all the details of the unit.

The only odd thing in the whole process is when it detects the unit as it for some reason cannot get the free space on the unit and just says "undefinedMB available". The My Dashboard option correctly gets the free space though.

Garmin UK support are not now open until Monday morning, but I'd really like to get it working over the weekend.

Has anyone any ideas what I can try / already managed to get the download working?

Many thanks.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

An update to my problem above:

I've just spoken to Garmin Support and apparently it's a corrupt download file on the Garmin servers that is causing the issue. I guess I must be the first person to try and download the North and Midlands map <_<.

I've emailed in the details they requested and they are going to get whoever looks after that area of the server in the USA to upload a correct download file. I should be able to get my map within 2 days apparently.

Yep - that's what the support guy said on the phone. Not a great issue for us as I also plan to get it on SD card for our other main GPSr.

It does seem a bit draconian though as I asked what happens if we stop using the unit and he said, unless the unit was returned and Garmin provide a replacement, there is no route to activating the software you have paid for on a new unit.

I think a downloaded Discoverer file is locked to one unit but the SD card can be used in other Oregons/Colorado.

I'm still not able to download the map I paid for nearly a week ago. Garmin UK support have raised it with whoever looks after the downloads in the USA but have got no response so far. They don't seem to want to chase it with their US colleagues for some reason.

I can't say as I'm very impressed with their customer service over this as something that is available for sale on their website for immediate download really should be available for immediate download. To still be waiting for it nearly a week later is inexcusable.

I'm still not able to download the map I paid for nearly a week ago. Garmin UK support have raised it with whoever looks after the downloads in the USA but have got no response so far. They don't seem to want to chase it with their US colleagues for some reason.

I can't say as I'm very impressed with their customer service over this as something that is available for sale on their website for immediate download really should be available for immediate download. To still be waiting for it nearly a week later is inexcusable.

I purchased some maps from Garmin for my Colorado, three weeks later and after actually returning from the destination I bought them for, I requested a refund. My account was credited just a few days ago! I'd normally jump through loops to praise Garmin support, but alas, in the case of the map download service, it really is pants.

Jon.

Do you know if the Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K - Northern England & Midlands SD is compatable on my Garmin 400T gps?

All I have is the preloaded map that it came with, and that doesn't show enough detail for me e.g. paths, reservoirs etc...

Any information would be greatly appreciated as only been caching/had gps for couple of months.

Cheers

Cindy

Well I have been nagging Garmin about the shutdowns I was experiencing with the GB Discoverer maps. Their reply leads me to believe that multiple maps with similar areas and features may be causing the problems?

Thanks for your reply I will be happy to help. I?ve tested the Topo and GB Disco 1:50k maps, when you are below 500? the map does blur and this is normal. When I tested I had both Topo GB and GB disco enabled, when I wanted to view the Topo maps I went to Options > Select map and deselected the GB Disco maps. The Topo mapping works fine, this is using the 2.96 beta software which was released yesterday.

You need to enable or disable the mapping product that you are not wanting to view as this can cause some confusion on the unit which may cause an improper shut down. This may well happen when you are running Topo, City Navigator and GB Discoverer as these products contain either the same or very similar areas of map data such as road information.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.

Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.com/support

I hope this might help others. I will also post on the Colorado Wiki

Edited by BernieTheGeocacher

Within Discoverer, CityNavigator, and TOPO are the same maps but up until recently they have worked without crashes.

In emails to Garmin they are interested in the POIs within my unit so I tried OPTION changes and improved 'panning' with Oregon v3.13, so there is problem with POIs and their Zoom level within Discoverer.

However, the 'shutoffs' were happening whatever the mapping software was active.

Last night I re-installed Oregon v3.01 and now the Discoverer and Unit are working again without 'shutoff' or 'crashes'!!!

The problem of the screen/maps 'hanging' or partly loading when zooming in or out [on Discoverer] has been improved and is now acceptable.

Edited by strumble

My new Discoverer card arrived.

Southern England and Wales 1:50 is great with v3.01!!!

613.png

Note:-

The symbol is a lighthouse not a sexual symbol.

Some of the website members enter UK over this lighthouse - the pilots sometimes call it St. Rumble!! :D

Edited by strumble