Garmin GB Discoverer

strumble

COPIED THE DATA TO MY SPARE SD CARD

Not clear what you mean by the above. I thought you couldn't copy Discoverer maps from one card to another. What files were copied please and how do you prevent the update software from being installed.

Good price though.

Many thanks

Mick

I thought you could not copy as well. But i did and it worked. Here is what i did

I ALREADY HAD UPDATED SOFTWARE 3.01 RUNNING ON MY OREGON

1) Instered ORIGINAL GB DISCOVER INTO LAPTOP AND COPIED ALL DATA TO A FOLDER I CALLED THIS FOLDER THE SAME AS THE VOLUME NAME.

2) INSERTED BLANK SD CARD INTO LAPTOP

3) COPIED ALL DATA TO BLANK SD CARD

4) INSERTED COPIED SD INTO MY OREGON 200

5) ALL WORKED FINE.

I THINK THE TRICK IS TO COPY THE DATA BEFORE INTERTING INTO OREGON

THIS WAS ONLY DONE SO THAT I DID NOT MESS UP MY ORIGINAL. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED TO MAKE PIRATE COPIES. IF YOU WANT THE MAPS BUY THEM LIKE I DID

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SWAP BETWEEN OS LEVEL MAPS AND TOPO MAPS AT A SPECIFIC ZOOM LEVEL IE 120FT THIS FEATURE WOULD BE GREAT AS THE OS MAPS GET BLURY IF ZOOMED INTO FAR.

Edited by whitedrag0n

I thought you could not copy as well. But i did and it worked. Here is what i did

I ALREADY HAD UPDATED SOFTWARE 3.01 RUNNING ON MY OREGON

1) Instered ORIGINAL GB DISCOVER INTO LAPTOP AND COPIED ALL DATA TO A FOLDER I CALLED THIS FOLDER THE SAME AS THE VOLUME NAME.

2) INSERTED BLANK SD CARD INTO LAPTOP

3) COPIED ALL DATA TO BLANK SD CARD

4) INSERTED COPIED SD INTO MY OREGON 200

5) ALL WORKED FINE.

THIS WAS ONLY DONE SO THAT I DID NOT MESS UP MY ORIGINAL. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED TO MAKE PIRATE COPIES. IF YOU WANT THE MAPS BUY THEM LIKE I DID

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SWAP BETWEEN OS LEVEL MAPS AND TOPO MAPS AT A SPECIFIC ZOOM LEVEL IE 120FT THIS FEATURE WOULD BE GREAT AS THE OS MAPS GET BLURY IF ZOOMED INTO FAR.

Who mentioned pirated copies, I certainly didn't but thanks for the other info anyway.

Edited by tyrosmick

Who mentioned pirated copies, I certainly didn't but thanks for the other info anyway.

i know you did not but i wanted to cover my a**

can anyone help on the info i requested

In reply to your question on Zoom levels and TOPO / GB Discoverer. If you read the previous logs regarding the zoom levels, there does not now seem to be a way to stop Discoverer showing to allow the clearer TOPO to take over. Maybe Garmin will fix this with some sofgtware changes, but for now it can only be done, I thjink by deselecting the Discoverer maps to allow TOPO mapping. I haver also ordered the Southern England maps and will have a good play around when I get them

Edited by BernieTheGeocacher

I ordered my maps from GPSDEALS and guess what? They don't have any left at that price and all new stock will be £114. Cancelled the order :ph34r:

Thought it was to good to be true NOW it is!!!!!

Maps-Warehouse £107.99

LOOKS LIKE I WAS LUCKY THEN I GOT MY FOR £69.99 anyone wana buy it for £114 lol only joking

Has anyone got the new UK 1:50k Northern England or 1:50k Southern England working well on a Colorado yet? I borrowed a friends card of Northern England and tried it in my Colorado last night and it was very blurred and suffered with the overlaying of roads as seen on earlier Oregon shots in this thread. I'm running 2.95Beta Colorado firmware. Any help or advice appreciated as I don't want to go ahead and purchase my own copy if they are this poor a quality on the Colorado.

Many thanks,

Jon.

I am running Discoverer on my Dakota 20. I too would like to know if there is a way to display only the City navigator maps (which I believe are lurking under the 1:50k map overlay) when I have zoomed in below 800 feet (this seems to be the magic figure).

When auto routing, the map zooms in on roundabouts, junctions, etc and the screen is then virtually illegible until it zooms out again!

I have just updated the firmware of the Dakota, which I am hopeful will stop the random shut downs which have been bugging me (usually 5 or 6 times per day, pretty much at random).

Questions for discoverer users if I may:-

I have the National Parks (but don't live in an area covered by them). Browsing a track on the oregon 300 which is covered by the maps, I find the zoom and pan speed very poor - anything between 3 and 10 seconds. Is this normal ? Is it worse with bigger maps eg Northern England ? Are there any tricks in minimising the delay ?

I've seen it suggested that when zoomed in on a discoverer map and using it on a bike, it causes the unit to crash because it cannot keep up with the re-draw - is this a common experience ?

Cheers.

Questions for discoverer users if I may:-

I have the National Parks (but don't live in an area covered by them). Browsing a track on the oregon 300 which is covered by the maps, I find the zoom and pan speed very poor - anything between 3 and 10 seconds.

Is this normal ? Is it worse with bigger maps eg Northern England ? Are there any tricks in minimising the delay ?

I've seen it suggested that when zoomed in on a discoverer map and using it on a bike, it causes the unit to crash because it cannot keep up with the re-draw - is this a common experience ?

Cheers.

In the options remove all other maps especially CityNavigator as it is built into Discoverer!

Zooming out takes longer than zooming in.

I have the south of England and Wales which is bigger than the National Parks, it is slower than CityNavigator to 'pan' but look at the amount of detail included!

Discoverer works well at 70mph in a car with all the UK speed cameras included, so the problem on the bike is not normal!

Beta software 3.01 works well for me whereas the more recent versions caused me problems.

I find the zoom and pan speed very poor - anything between 3 and 10 seconds. Is this normal ? Is it worse with bigger maps eg Northern England ? Are there any tricks in minimising the delay ?

It's normal and the same for The Thames Path and National Parks I own. It's also similar for raster Custom Maps that Garmin recently introduced, so I guess it must be simply raster drawing. The device has to decompress a JPG file, transform it and draw all the missing pixels. This must take time compared to drawing just a few lines :-)

Now that we have proper raster maps, I am awaiting a proper conversion of OS data to a vector topo map. This is how it could (and should) look like:

http://www.garniak.pl/download/file.php?id=835&mode=view

Yes it's a Garmin-compatible topo map and this is how it looks in a device :-)

Hi Guys,

Total noob here, I just bought a nuvi 550 and the GB discoverer Scotland map, I updated the firmware on my nuvi but the GB discoverer map is absolutely rubbish, very blurred at every zoom level and to be honest, totally unuseable, please can anyone help me sort it out? I'm away on a hiking/caching holiday tomorrow for a week and I'm gutted that I've wasted £110 on this map.

Any info would be greatly received, Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Total noob here, I just bought a nuvi 550 and the GB discoverer Scotland map, I updated the firmware on my nuvi but the GB discoverer map is absolutely rubbish, very blurred at every zoom level and to be honest, totally unuseable, please can anyone help me sort it out? I'm away on a hiking/caching holiday tomorrow for a week and I'm gutted that I've wasted £110 on this map.

Any info would be greatly received, Thanks!

The Discoverer maps are RASTER based and therefore will tend to be less sharp than the equivalent VECTOR maps. I have the Southern England & Wales 1:50K set myself but use them on an Orgegon 200, they are OK as long as you don't zoom in beyond about 500ft. Below that they are useless.

Another option, which I also use are the FREE GB & Ireland mapsets (with contours and routable) which I compile. These are based on OSM data (not OS) and are vector based. I find these more usable especially for urban caching. These should work on the Nuvi 550.

They can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

The Discoverer maps are RASTER based and therefore will tend to be less sharp than the equivalent VECTOR maps. I have the Southern England & Wales 1:50K set myself but use them on an Orgegon 200, they are OK as long as you don't zoom in beyond about 500ft. Below that they are useless.

Another option, which I also use are the FREE GB & Ireland mapsets (with contours and routable) which I compile. These are based on OSM data (not OS) and are vector based. I find these more usable especially for urban caching. These should work on the Nuvi 550.

They can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin, I'm downloading your maps right now .

Cheers!