Garmin GB Discoverer

strumble

Can’t quite believe how poor the mapping is! I was really excited when i heard about the new maps! Not so enthusiastic now mind. Garmin seem to have rushed this one out, never seen that before, oh yes, yes we have! The Colorado 300!

Has anyone played with the discovery maps with the Colorado?

Well I will watch this space, keep the updates coming!

Thanks,

I also have been watching this product with antisipation but was a little disapointed when garmin annouced the 1:25k regions but have not yet released the 1:50k card for the whole of the uk. the 1:50k version is avalible from garmin as a bundle with the Oregon 300 but i already have a Oregon 200 and dont realy wana upgarde for the sake of the maps.

Please garmin give the people what they want and thats the 1:50k whole of the UK. How difficult would it be. Its already there just allow people to buy it.

That said any news on when it is goign to be released as a seperate item.

I ......not yet released the 1:50k card for the whole of the uk. the 1:50k version is avalible from garmin as a bundle with the Oregon 300......

Please garmin give the people what they want and thats the 1:50k whole of the UK. How difficult would it be. Its already there just allow people to buy it.

The bundle seems to be with 1:50k for all the National Parks not for the whole of the UK

* Simple plug and play microSD™ card containing:

o Ordnance Survey 1:50k All GB National Parks

o Ordnance Survey 1:250k GB

o Ordnance Survey 1:1M GB

o Full Navteq Road network – GB (vector data)

o Full Navteq POI database – GB (vector data)

o Allows turn-by-turn navigation on road by car or bike

o Allows you to search for and navigate to pre-loaded Points of Interest (POI), such as hotels, B+Bs, restaurants, campsites etc

Just been checking out the 3skatmap unit and it looks pretty cool. I comes with a lot more areas than the Oregon but lacks the GEOCACHING Fetures that i love about my oregon.

My questions is are garmin going to get there heads in the game and start releasing more os maps to the same level as the satmap and a become the undisputed leader in GPSr tecnology and mapping.

please please anyone from garmin reading the post check out the catalouge offered by satmap and please please try to improve the offerings you have.

satmap catalouge

Cheers

Whitedrag0n

Double Roads have gone and much clearer on the unit but slow re-draw!!!

1pontsticill300ftvq3.png..........2139dl1.png

Old Firmware v2.8-------------------New Firmware v2.85Beta

3pontsticill800ftio2.png...........2107nd4.png

85166692gj9.png............1741ej0.png

28679665uc6.png............2600de5.png

60588997sv9.png............2475ng3.png

Edited by strumble

I notice the sample images on Garmin's website are aligned Grid North. Is there a way of selecting which North is used; e.g. can you select Magnetic North for bearing presentation? Or turn it back to Grid North?

I found this comment in another website interesting, and have tried without success to alter it!!

Can you suggest a method of achieving it?

Here are the screenshots of the options and grid lines.

137on5.png.6174iy2.png

Were the four options available in v2.8?

I notice the sample images on Garmin's website are aligned Grid North. Is there a way of selecting which North is used; e.g. can you select Magnetic North for bearing presentation? Or turn it back to Grid North?

I found this comment in another website interesting, and have tried without success to alter it!!

Can you suggest a method of achieving it?

Here are the screenshots of the options and grid lines.

137on5.png.6174iy2.png

Were the four options available in v2.8?

That menu option set looks like the 'Setup Heading' screen. That is just for the compass heading though.

I want to get the National Parks at 50k (not interested in 25k maps at all) but I can't find it for sale anywhere. The GPS training site mentioned above has a bundle available, but I can't mind anywhere that stocks a good selection of GB Discoverer. Wiggle has a few, but not what I want.

Just had a response from Garmin asking about availability of the 50k maps (not good news):

I am afraid the 1:50k OS GB discoverer mapping will not be sold as an

individual SD/Micro SD card which you can purchase through a Garmin

dealer like you would the smaller regional cards, but will be sold in a

bundle package along with the Garmin Oregon 300. This can be purchased

through a Garmin dealer called Wiggle and the price listed for this is

£317.09.

I am sorry to tell you, you cannot purchase the card separately, but

this is a bundle deal rather than a separate mapping card.

Each Discoverer Card contains:-

Each card contains :

• 1:25,000 OS mapping for the area selected
    1:50,000 OS mapping for the area selected
    1:250,000 GB basemaps
    1: 1,100,000 GB basemaps
    Full Navteq Road Network for all of GB
    Address Database for all of GB
    POI Database for all of GB
    Turn by Turn navigation (signed not audio) + POI navigation

In my Oregon I turned off all Maps except Discoverer to produce the screenshots below. I moved out of the Pembrokeshire and Brecon National Parks as I have posted plenty of 25k and 50k screenshots. So outside those two areas I get:-

652vg4.png..661zx3.png..675fr5.png

680im0.png..689jr8.png..702ox1.png

Notice from Zoom levels up to .5miles you get normal CityNavigator autorouting maps but at .8miles the Discoverer now 'overlays' the CityNavigator maps until the 1: 1,100,000 GB basemap appears at 5miles.

I want to get the National Parks at 50k (not interested in 25k maps at all) but I can't find it for sale anywhere. The GPS training site mentioned above has a bundle available, but I can't mind anywhere that stocks a good selection of GB Discoverer. Wiggle has a few, but not what I want.

Just had a response from Garmin asking about availability of the 50k maps (not good news):

I am afraid the 1:50k OS GB discoverer mapping will not be sold as an

individual SD/Micro SD card which you can purchase through a Garmin

dealer like you would the smaller regional cards, but will be sold in a

bundle package along with the Garmin Oregon 300. This can be purchased

through a Garmin dealer called Wiggle and the price listed for this is

£317.09.

I am sorry to tell you, you cannot purchase the card separately, but

this is a bundle deal rather than a separate mapping card.

it is FOR SALE on Weatwinds ebay shop

GARMIN MAPSOURCE GB DISCOVERER OS LIKE CITY NAVIGATOR

ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPPING FOR NATIONAL PARKS AND TRAILS

they list it different but is the same CD they offer with the Oregon 300

ebay item number 300290172680

Garmin 'OS' GB Discoverer National Parks

on MicroSD/SD card

Brand new addition to the world of GPS from

Garmin brings your favourite Ordnance Survey maps.... to your GPS!

Choose your National Park Park from the graphic or the list below,

and specify the area when making your payment!

Features 1:250k 1:50000 and 1:25000 mapping

Post, packing only £6.50

Take your Ordnance Survey maps in hand with Garmin's Discoverer series!

Garmin GB Discoverer National Parks series is the ultimate accessory for your mapping GPS, providing detailed Ordnance Survey contoured mapping data for walking, trekking, cycling and adventure sports.

This card contains 1:250,000 mapping covering the whole of Great Britain, and 1:50000 mapping for the National Park of choice, enabling turn by turn street level routing to your chosen destination. Once you arrive, a 1:25000 OS Explorer Map helps you explore footpaths, bridleways, tracks, roads and rights of way, with rich landscape detail and a variety of destinations.

GB Discoverer's OS mapping is fully searchable, allowing you to follow routes of your choice to discover postcodes, facilities and attractions, and the traditional look and feel of Ordnance Survey map detail compliments Garmin's 'topographic maps dynamic search'.

Features

Ordnance Survey 1:25k map for the region of the National Park

Ordnance Survey 1:50k map for the region of the National Park

Ordnance Survey 1:250k for the whole of Great Britain

Ordnance Survey 1:1M for the whole of Great Britain

Full Navteq Road network - for the whole of Great Brtain

Full Navteq Address database - for the whole of Great Britain

Full Navteq Point of Information Database - for the whole of Great Britain

Allows turn-by-turn navigation on road by car or bike

Allows the user to search for an navigate to pre-loaded Points of Interest, such as lodging, food and drink, car parks, banks, petrol stations, attractions, campsites, trig points and more.

Garmin GB Discoverer mapping software is available for the following GPS:

Oregon and Colorado Series

The advert lists the SD cards that have been on sale in the UK for a few weeks and those cards that have been the topic for this thread.

Stuey has been asking for a specific SD card with all the National parks at 1:50 on the one card - I cannot see it on the advert. Perhaps you could explain where you see it.

Garmin themselves said it was not for sale except as a 'bundle' with the Oregon 300

http://www.maps-warehouse.co.uk/garmin-discoverer-1-25.html

Can the Garmin Discoverer SD card maps be transferred and viewed on a computer. I currently have Garmin TOPO GB maps loaded on my computer but can remember reading

"Maps on microSD/SD cards cannot be copied or viewed on a computer."

I was interested in the Garmin Discoverer, however, with what I have read in this thread I will pass. Are you happy with your Garmin TOPO GB? I have Garmin TOPO for Canada. It doesn’t have the detail you would expect from a good TOPO map or OS map, but you can see it with out the blurs and it seems to be quite accurate.

Can the Garmin Discoverer SD card maps be transferred and viewed on a computer. I currently have Garmin TOPO GB maps loaded on my computer but can remember reading

"Maps on microSD/SD cards cannot be copied or viewed on a computer."

SD cards cannot be seen on the PC.

TOPO GB can be bought on SD [selected areas] or DVD/CD [whole of GB], but only the DVD/CD can be loaded on the PC and unit.

Are you happy with your Garmin TOPO GB? I have Garmin TOPO for Canada. It doesn’t have the detail you would expect from a good TOPO map or OS map, but you can see it with out the blurs and it seems to be quite accurate.

1225hr4.png...242ln5.png

Thanks for the screen shots - I am a novice and I am not sure what they are. Are they both topo or is 1 a Discoverer? Love the flag of Wales!

I can see by the thread that you have had lots of experience with Garmin Discoverer. Are the bugs being resolved? Would you buy it again?

They are both Topo GB.

Discoverer is expensive for the OS map areas but you do get POIs and CityNavigation maps for autorouting for UK.

The last firmware v2.85Beta has improved things and with the full update due this month, perhaps things will improve again.

It is not perfect but the result on the unit has improved 20% to 80% [by my standards] so it is worth the money especially if you have no other mapping!

As the SD cards are not locked you could buy a set between your friends and exchange them!

Just found this link:-

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pI...ageScreen1Large

Notice the 'fantastic' clear screenshots previously seen have been replaced by screenshots similar in standard to mine.

The screenshots are with the initial firmware [prior to 2.85] with the 'double' roads.

They are 'non-OSGB Grid alinged maps' unlike the original Garmin screenshots!

Compare Garmin's Screenshots[in the link above] with mine [below]:-

...15864cg1.png...16001tu8.png...16078cp1.png

Edited by strumble

They sent me this 22nd Jan... as yet no new firmware...

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for your feedback on the GB Discoverer mapping. This mapping is a new format of mapping which works differently to other maps as it has both an image layer and routing layer. Our software engineers are currently working on an update for the Oregon to improve the way that it displays the image layer and also hide the additional routing layer from the display. This will not have any detrimental effect on the functionality of the mapping and should enhance the display of the GB Discoverer mapping.

To check for software updates on the Oregon please visit http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4052

I do believe that the update may well have been released today.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.com/support

Kind regards

Craig Davis

Garmin ( Europe ) Ltd

I have not found a way to view area covered by each SD card.

I was delighted with the area covered in the Pembrokeshire Coast Path SD card compared to the Pembrokeshire and Brecon National Park.

The 1:50 area is really useful!

When you move out of the area covered by 1:50 you have the CityNavigator Maps for all the UK.

I have the TOPO and do not find it any good - paths are missing.

Changes made from version 2.93 to 2.94:

* Report any problems with beta software to OregonBeta@garmin.com

* Note: After updating, the first GPS acquisition will take longer than normal. After the Oregon has been on long enough to collect the necessary GPS data, acquisition times will return to normal.

* Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location

* Added ability to edit a waypoint from the waypoint review

* Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery

* Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items.

* Improved readability of configurable data fields

* Fixed increased battery consumption and shutdowns in some units

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic

Improved readability of configurable data fields

Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items.
Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery

411.png...393.png...374.png

363.png...346.png...338.png

The quality of the Discoverer Maps is sooooooooo improved :)

I have just submitted the following message to the Oregon Beta email address at Garmin. Does this agree with what other people see?

==========================

First of all....

I have Oregon 2.94 with OS GB Discoverer South West Coast Path (South).

The OS GB Discoverer renders SO SO SO much better than on previous versions.

I have the following comments about the maps which are displayed at certain zoom levels though.

In an area where the greatest OS map detail is 1:250k it behaves perfectly:

At 8km zoom, the 1:1,000,000 map is displayed (good)

At 5km, 3km, 2km, 1.2km zoom, the 1:250k map is displayed (good)

At 800m and below the vector maps are displayed (good)

In an area where the greatest OS map detail is 1:50k it also behaves perfectly:

At 5km, 3km, 2km, 1.2km zoom, 1:250k is displayed (good)

At 800m , 500m, 300m zoom, the 1:50k map is displayed (good)

At 200m and below the vector maps are displayed (good)

In an area where the greatest OS map detail is 1:25k it isn't quite perfect:

At 5km, 3km, 2km, 1.2km zoom, 1:250k is displayed (good)

At 200m and 120m the 1:25k map is displayed (good)

However.... at 80m and below I think the vector maps should be displayed, although 80m is still readable for the 1:25k map. As it is, the 1:25k map is displayed right down to 5m (which is unreadable) and the vector maps never get displayed.

So, to summarise, apart from the lack of vector map detail at 80m and below in areas where there is a 1:25k map, it is perfect!

Nice summary of the improvements and issues with GB Discoverer -- they look as good as the original Garmin marketing shots!

Thanks for the feedback g-o-cashers - in fact Garmin's Website screenshots are now a poor reflection of what the maps are really like!

See here: -

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255...=33294#imageTab

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pI...ageScreen1Large

[left Screenshots]

Here are 3 initial screenshots of Discoverer when the software was released.

[ RIGHT Screenshots]

Here are 3 screenshots of Discoverer from the new software 2.94.

3666ln1.png. 237.png

80437094zz8.png. 347.png

28679665uc6.png. 460.png

Generally, in a few months the Discoverer results have improved and in my opinion justify the cost [you get autorouting for all the UK as well - on CityNavigator Maps]

The results for the 1:25 maps should improve but the results for 1:50 maps are very useful [zoom level 800ft, 0.2miles, 0.3miles 0.5miles]

The zoom level 800ft and 0.2miles are particularly acceptable for my use and are better on the unit than the screenshot shows.

363.png

BUT

each Discoverer SD card comes with the outdated firmware 2.8,

you must update to firmware 2.94

BUT

each Discoverer SD card comes with the outdated firmware 2.8,

you must update to firmware 2.94

Thanks for posting updates :laughing:

I just got a Discoverer SD card.

My Oregon was already at the beta 2.94 release.

Are you suggesting I do a 2nd firmware update with the micro SD card installed?

'Stuey' mentioned the quality of the Discoverer maps below 80m and I believe he was right:-

Here is what we see on selected zoom levels with the 1:25 maps

20b.png--50b.png--80b.png--120b.png

Here is what we could see if Garmin cannot improve the quality:-

'Stuey'I think the vector maps should be displayed

20a.png--50a.png--80a.png--120a.png

Edited by strumble