Android based Groundspeak App?

DariusMDeV

The SDKs and APIs are out there now. I'd like to be able to dive in and start finding caches day 1 on my G1, and I'd like to do it without having to scrape the Groundspeak site in a clandestine manner.

Are you guys going to have a app blessed by Groundspeak and anointed with your your holy water?

The SDKs and APIs are out there now. I'd like to be able to dive in and start finding caches day 1 on my G1, and I'd like to do it without having to scrape the Groundspeak site in a clandestine manner.

Are you guys going to have a app blessed by Groundspeak and anointed with your your holy water?

:ph34r::anibad::laughing:

I thought I could "talk geek"...

:ph34r::anibad::laughing:

I thought I could "talk geek"...

The G1 Android is a phone from T-Mobile similar to the iPhone. He is talking about developing a geocaching application for the G1 like the iPhone geocaching application.

Since software for the Android isn't under Apple's paranoid control, there should be a flood of software in pretty short order.

I have begun work on a geocaching app for Android.

It will be similar to cachemate, cacheberry, geopher, etc, with the extra touches the G1 allows. Obviously, it won't scrape geocaching.com but will be dependent on grabbing PQs from your email inbox, downloading GPXes from other sources or from your PC.

I hope to have a beta out soon after my G1 arrives around the 22nd.

-Ben

edit: I also know of at least one other person working on an Android caching app. So there will be plenty of options.

Edited by benh57

I have begun work on a geocaching app for Android.

It will be similar to cachemate, cacheberry, geopher, etc, with the extra touches the G1 allows. Obviously, it won't scrape geocaching.com but will be dependent on grabbing PQs from your email inbox, downloading GPXes from other sources or from your PC.

I hope to have a beta out soon after my G1 arrives around the 22nd.

-Ben

edit: I also know of at least one other person working on an Android caching app. So there will be plenty of options.

Ben / Team:

Just let us know when we can help out with testing the new app. I, for one, am pretty good at documenting use cases, results, and providing feedback.

This just reminded me: Is there a screen capture feature / app for the G1?

Looking forward to see what you code warriors come up with - and let me know if I can help!

GeoBrowse is cool and works pretty well. It's always going to suck a bit using a tiny screen, though. It's right in Android Market so it's easy to find.

Be sure to download the Radar development library for a really neat way to home in on a cache.

Amen re: Geobrowse but I'm still looking for a database to keep my local caches handy. Something similar to Cachemate would be nice.