How Far Behind Am I?

Jaebird82

Hey all,

I love geocaching. I have a over 100 finds and have a feeling that i'll be doing this for a long time to come. I've always liked hiking, being outdoors, and this gives me more of a reason to go see new places. What is not to like?

With that being said, I'm wondering if there are better ways to GeoCache then the set-up I have

now. I always feel like while scanning these boards there might be better ways? It works, but I'm always looking to improve. How far behind am I when it comes to the techy side of GeoCaching?

I use pocket queries, MacCaching, my Vista GPS, and my Ipod nano that goes around my wrist for the logs, etc. Would you recommend any other way or program? I just don't want to be left behind as far as tech goes. Thanks!

--Jaebird82

Ps. Whats the best POI site? I want to find food places around area i'll be caching in, etc.

I use a 6+ year old Garmin eTrex with the rubber grip falling off. And that's advanced compared to some people.

Hopefully there will be some sort of combining of Waymarking.com and gc.com very soon. That will give you some POI stuff in one nice package, though it certainly won't be comprehensive.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I use a 6+ year old Garmin eTrex with the rubber grip falling off. And that's advanced compared to some people.

Hopefully there will be some sort of combining of Waymarking.com and gc.com very soon. That will give you some POI stuff in one nice package, though it certainly won't be comprehensive.

I use a Garmin GPSmap60. Not sure how "outdated" I would be called but it works fine for me. Just started caching this year and my unit seems to do what I need it to.

Get a Garmin Oregon 400T and add the City Nav maps for POI and routable mapping. 2000 caches with full details loaded onboard a single unit should keep you happy. The rugged touchscreen interface becomes a bonus.

Haha, looking at my post of me saying i have 100 finds sounds like i think it's a lot. A whole 100 finds!! Anyway, it's very tempting to sell my vista and get the oregon. Why do you tempt me so? Thanks for the responses.

--Jaebird82

Get a Garmin Oregon 400T and add the City Nav maps for POI and routable mapping. 2000 caches with full details loaded onboard a single unit should keep you happy. The rugged touchscreen interface becomes a bonus.

Haha, looking at my post of me saying i have 100 finds sounds like i think it's a lot. A whole 100 finds!! Anyway, it's very tempting to sell my vista and get the oregon. Why do you tempt me so? Thanks for the responses.

--Jaebird82

Because you asked! :D

I use a Map 76cs that is going on four years old, and I have a Palm M125 that I use for trips and big days out, but most of the time I am going for one or two caches and it isn't worth my time to download the info to the Palm. I (gasp!) print the cache page and head out the door.

bought used, I have a Garmin GPS V. Works for geocaching with all the bell and whistles. Its teamed up with my Blackberry 8330 Curve loaded with Geocache Navigator. The 2 work out OK. But I'm afraid to look at the new GPSs out now. Just cause then my old one would need to be upgrade.

The setup you have is fine. You can have many years of happy cacheing with it. Of course being male we don't buy what we need but what we want. There is also the "WOW, you got that" factor which doesn't affect cacheing but is good for the ego. Up until today I was doing great with the 76CS (4 years old) but after doing a cacheing hike with a guy who had a Colorado I upgraded to an Oregon (don't need it but it is to cool to pass up).

garmin etrex H and a piece of paper with the info on it for me.

You might shop around for a GPS receiver that fits your wants and cost.....An old reliable is a GPSMap 60CSx....Then you can add a PDA for $10-$30....But, if we are serious, we usually end of with 2 or 3 GPS and the same in the PDA area....Most of us are always looking to "munch" the grass on the other side of the fence. Happy caching and good luck.

I use pocket queries, MacCaching, my Vista GPS, and my Ipod nano that goes around my wrist for the logs, etc. Would you recommend any other way or program? I just don't want to be left behind as far as tech goes.

I believe the Gold Standard right now is a Garmin 60SCx and a good used Palm with at least 8megs memory. It's not bleeding edge. (read: bug-ridden or expensive)

Really, what ever works for you is the right choice.

I went with a Garmin after Magellan pretty much alienated previous unit owners with their lack of WAAS firmware upgrades. Garmin is much more geocaching oriented, as well. I prefer the 60 series because of the way it fits in hands and the SCx model for the features. I live in a fairly flat state so I don't have topo, but do use the City Navigator a lot for road routing and POIs. I ride a motorcycle so a unit that was auto-routing and waterproof was a big plus. The "x" series provides satellite reception that is second to none.

I have a Palm T|X for caching, but started off with a m105. I use the m105 exclusively for geocaching, but the T|X for a lot more. The only drawback of the T|X is the expense if I break in the field and the screen sucks outdoors.

Many times I listen to an iPod when I mountainbiking (less mountain and more swamp) and the option of having caches in the iPod seems like a good idea. (Not that I can geocache on the trails where I ride as caching is not allowed.)

Like I said, whatever works for you.

Anyway, it's very tempting to sell my vista and get the oregon. Why do you tempt me so? Thanks for the responses.

Before you get caught up in all the "gee whiz" hardware out there, remember that for geocaching the most important tool is yourself.

Exactly!!! I use an old Silva Explorer. :ph34r:

I'd just add that with the new geocaching application, having an iPhone really makes caching more utilitarian.

Normally, I have a PQ with around 500 caches that are within 15 miles of home (I'm by the coast, so there is little southwest of me). The PQ is on both the Garmin Map76 and my old Palm. The Garmin is for locating the cache; the Palm for info on the cache. If I'm going somewhere unusual and have some advanced warning or I am specifically going out caching, I'll do a PQ for that area.

Now that I've got the iPhone and new app, if I find myself somewhere with a few minutes, I can do a spontaneous search.

Technology wise, that covers things. But, note, I have a variety of low-tech gadgets to help grab caches, e.g. mirrors, magnets, etc.

You have to find the right balance between the technology available and when it crosses the line between being fun and work. If you find yourself strapping on an ipod, a cell phone, a GPSr, and a Palm Pilot to go for a walk in the woods to enjoy nature, maybe you should scale back a little. Keep it simple so it's still fun.

I just started caching this year and reached my big ole 100 recently as well. I have done this using my husband's Garmin Nuvi and a spreadsheet of waypoints that I make up and print out. It's not the most convenient and down right frustrating at times, but most of the time it gets the job done.

I just don't know what the next step is or if we could afford it.

:D

I have a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one), a printed out stack of cache pages, a notebook, a pen, and a camera. I have a cell phone, too, but it's basically just a cell phone.

Now excuse me while I retreat back under my rock.

- Elle

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You mean all it does is call people...then by today's standards it really isn't a phone...you might as well be traveling around with two dixie cups and some string!!!

:D:D:D

My wife and I use the Magellan Meridian Platinum....its an incredibly rugged unit, electronic compass ( best caching feature of all ), and a 2G SD card will hold maps of every state in the U.S ( the original Mapsend program still works great and is VERY cheap) as well as an almost infinate # of files created by PQ's. These units can be purchased on ebay, etc for around $100-$150.

For PDA's we use Sony Clie' but also have a couple Palm M500's. Using Plucker you can save dozens of files of 200 or so caches each generated by PQ's/ GSAK. These PDA's on ebay run for about $40 or so for a Clie' to as low as $15-20 for a Palm depending on condition.

Really the above setup could be had for under $200 and you would be set for a long time to come.......I could afford to " upgrade" and I like new gadgets but reading about the newer units( reviews, etc) make me want to keep what I have.........an exception would be the 60 CSX which from all accounts is a great unit although maps cost WAY more than my Platinum and other than a color screen the features are the same.

:D

I have a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one), a printed out stack of cache pages, a notebook, a pen, and a camera. I have a cell phone, too, but it's basically just a cell phone.

Now excuse me while I retreat back under my rock.

- Elle

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You mean all it does is call people...then by today's standards it really isn't a phone...you might as well be traveling around with two dixie cups and some string!!!

:D:D:D

I can RECEIVE calls, too! It's not like a Barbie phone where I push the buttons and she chrips, "Let's go shopping!"

:D:D

Hey, where's the Groundspeak product line of kids toys where kids have little GPSrs and phones where Signal says, "Let's go Geocaching!" ??? My kids are already stealing tupperware from my cabinets to hide little caches out in the wooded lot behind our house.

- Elle

Hey all,

I love geocaching. I have a over 100 finds and have a feeling that i'll be doing this for a long time to come. I've always liked hiking, being outdoors, and this gives me more of a reason to go see new places. What is not to like?

With that being said, I'm wondering if there are better ways to GeoCache then the set-up I have

now. I always feel like while scanning these boards there might be better ways? It works, but I'm always looking to improve. How far behind am I when it comes to the techy side of GeoCaching?

I use pocket queries, MacCaching, my Vista GPS, and my Ipod nano that goes around my wrist for the logs, etc. Would you recommend any other way or program? I just don't want to be left behind as far as tech goes. Thanks!

--Jaebird82

Ps. Whats the best POI site? I want to find food places around area i'll be caching in, etc.

The great thing about geocaching is that you can do it with any level of gear you feel comfortable with. If you justgottahave the newest and shiniest toys on the block, then the Oregon might be the way to go. But the stuff you already have is plenty good.

I've been caching for over 6 years, have a few hundred finds including a few outside of my home area. I'm using a 4 year old 60c which is starting to show its age so I might upgrade to the 60csx soon. I also started using the nano to carry the cache data with me about 6 weeks ago and love it. PQ's are the answer to many questions asked here for very good reasons. I'm not familiar with maccaching but suspect it is the alternative to GSAK for macs?

yelp.com is a great website to find places to eat.

Edited by wimseyguy

It sounds like your setup is pretty good. I think it's easy to get deceived and think that the newest equipment is going to make it easier to find the cache. I was caching in the woods this past weekend with someone who has the "old style" yellow Garmin. It was within 2-3 feet of my 60CSx at all times.

You can pick up a Palm on some auction sites for $10, or the Nano works well too.

We got a 60CSx a few years ago, and it worked great. When the new Colorado/Oregons came out, the 60CSx went down in price, so I bought a new one and gave the first one to my son. He loves it. He drops it, bangs it, and it still runs great and only has a few minor scratches on it.

If I were starting today, I like the idea of the Colorado/Oregon how everything is there in one unit so you don't need a ton of stuff to carry around, but I don't know the reliability or durability of them at this point and am very happy using the 60CSx.

On a related note. A friend just bought the Oregon and likes it's all in on features, but he feels that the 60CSx has more accurate reception and is a little faster overall.

Well, I've got a Garmin GPS80 MIL. I'm still learning all the bits and peices. I did my first caches with google maps and good old-fashioned footwork and no gps at all. Just looking and asking where would I put it. I don't wanna waste my printer ink, so I've got a hand-written log book of caches I want to visit, thier co-ordinants, locations as shown on google maps (google earth probably better, but dial-up sux) and clues if I'm desperate. Then when I find them, I date my book so I don't go back over and over. I'm forgetful like that. ::crawling under her own rock::

Edited by Butterfly Fox

Thank you everyone for the replies. I should be happy with what I have, but as an earlier poster said, it's the want factor. Plus, the 60csx was only like 40 dollars more than the vista on Amazon or something like that. Im feeling like i should have went for that. The vista has never really let me down though, so i'm sticking with it for now... i think...

And to the poster below, the Ipod nano I think works great for paperless caching. I have it on my 4 gig nano and it straps perfectly around my wrist making it one less thing to carry. Only thing is that it doesn't show all the logs. I use maccaching. Is there a way around this?? It only shows what is on the geocaching page before you click "show all logs".

Thanks everyone!

Jaebird82

We have a Garmin 60 csx. Love it. Easy to use with the buttons on the front and great reception. Haven't gone paperless yet, but looking at getting an iPod nano. Have heard good things about that.

That's great! Haha. I'd probably get lost without my GPS, so i'm glad i got it before geocaching. I might have not found it enjoyable after not finding any caches and gave up on the whole thing.

Jaebird82

Well, I've got a Garmin GPS80 MIL. I'm still learning all the bits and peices. I did my first caches with google maps and good old-fashioned footwork and no gps at all. Just looking and asking where would I put it. I don't wanna waste my printer ink, so I've got a hand-written log book of caches I want to visit, thier co-ordinants, locations as shown on google maps (google earth probably better, but dial-up sux) and clues if I'm desperate. Then when I find them, I date my book so I don't go back over and over. I'm forgetful like that. ::crawling under her own rock::

Many times I listen to an iPod when I mountainbiking (less mountain and more swamp) and the option of having caches in the iPod seems like a good idea. (Not that I can geocache on the trails where I ride as caching is not allowed.)

Where are you mountain biking where caches aren't allowed?

And to the poster below, the Ipod nano I think works great for paperless caching. I have it on my 4 gig nano and it straps perfectly around my wrist making it one less thing to carry. Only thing is that it doesn't show all the logs. I use maccaching. Is there a way around this?? It only shows what is on the geocaching page before you click "show all logs".

Thanks everyone!

Jaebird82

We have a Garmin 60 csx. Love it. Easy to use with the buttons on the front and great reception. Haven't gone paperless yet, but looking at getting an iPod nano. Have heard good things about that.

WE use GSAK with the iPodnotes macro and we get all the description and at least the last 5 logs of every cache. If you don't use GSAK yet than that would be my first recommended upgrade for you. OOPS, sorry. I just reread your post and saw your were MAC not PC.

Edited by KJcachers

why buy hardware that will only run one piece of software? iPhone will run a number of different geocache apps, each with different capabilities, to say nothing about thousands of other apps.

because not all people use the iphone and want to pony up a monthly fee to use it for caching. Unless you are just talking about buying the iphone and not signing up for a monthly plan. Then what's the point? Then you have a unit that can do so much more like unlimited internet, gps, etc., and you'll probably end up spending more money than you wanted to.

if i was in the market for a new phone then i'd think about it. =)

Edited by Jaebird82

Apparently I am doing it the hard way. I just use my Magellan 400, a mini-composition book and a pen. I make notes in the book for places I will be in the near future & take it from there. I always carry my laptop with aircard on the off chance I am somewhere with time to kill. Even then I write the coords in the book and go searching.

Apparently I am doing it the hard way. I just use my Magellan 400, a mini-composition book and a pen. I make notes in the book for places I will be in the near future & take it from there. I always carry my laptop with aircard on the off chance I am somewhere with time to kill. Even then I write the coords in the book and go searching.

Nice. I don't think I have the patience for that, but to each their own. You're doing it the more "creative" way. Haha. Very cool. Thanks for the reply.

Jaebird82