Got Stopped By The Police Today...

TexasGringo

I had parked my car along a side road...it was legal, no signs.

Walked about 20 feet into the woods looking for that cache (GCQ301).

From the woods, I saw an unmarked car pull along side mine, stop and look at it....and took off.

Well, when I got out, that car was parked down the street, I got into my car and drove away...he followed. A little later he put on his lights and I pulled over...he yelled to stay in the car. About 10 min later another car came and they asked me what I was doing. I showed them my GPS and Print-Out of all the caches I was going to look for.

The one cop then said "Remember, If you take something, leave something". And then said "Have Fun" and they both walked away.

That was it.

Edited by TheTexasGringo

The one cop then said "Remember, If you take something, leave something". And then said "Have Fun" and they both walked away.

That was it.

Does that mean that we don't have to do these anymore?

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

From the sounds of it, they knew exactly what you were doing there, and were just messing with you... maybe already trolling these forums to see if you post your encounter with them!

The referenced cache is in Murphy, TX. It's well known that the local LEOs are a little............................overzealous, shall we say?

In denouncing geocachers, one of the local politicos referred to us as "thrill-seekers".

It's a good thing you didn't get stopped at night. You'd still be waiting for one of us to bail you out! :ph34r:

A friend of mine was a police officer in Colorado Springs, but was originally from Minnesota. She used to pull over anyone with a Minnesota tag to say Hi and chat. That is until someone complained about being stopped. Wonder if that was the same type of thing?

Recall the lyrics from the song:

Brother Pele's in the back, sweet Zina's in the front

Cruisin' down the freeway in the hot, hot sun

Suddenly red-blue lights flash us from behind

Loud voice booming, "Please step out onto the line"

Pele preaches words of comfort, Zina just hides her eyes

Policeman taps his shades, "Is that a Chevy '69?"

How bizarre

How bizarre, how bizarre

***The referenced cache is in Murphy, TX. It's well known that the local LEOs are a little............................overzealous, shall we say?***

Here is an article about the Suspicious device they found in Murphy, Texas.

http://www.murphymessenger.com/articles/49...-IN-MURPHY.html

:ph34r: Quote from article: "Chief Myrick said that his department will continue to work closely with Federal law enforcement officials in this matter and if the person(s) responsible for today’s event are successfully identified, they could be facing both criminal and civil penalties."

Wow, putting a cache on anything Federal sounds costly.

***The referenced cache is in Murphy, TX. It's well known that the local LEOs are a little............................overzealous, shall we say?***

:) Quote from article: "Chief Myrick said that his department will continue to work closely with Federal law enforcement officials in this matter and if the person(s) responsible for today’s event are successfully identified, they could be facing both criminal and civil penalties."

Does tampering with a mail box (technically USPS property, even if purchased and placed by a citizen in their yard) fall under the same laws as tampering with mail? Seems like someone should've spent a couple more minutes thinking that one over...

I like how they knew it was a geocaching device but had to send the remains of the cache to a lab for investigation to try and find the "culprit" who put it there. Geez, Just go on geocaching.com and search for the GPS coordinates and you will find the cache and the owners ID. Even Google Earth with the GC plug-in will get you that much info.

:) Quote from article: "Chief Myrick said that his department will continue to work closely with Federal law enforcement officials in this matter and if the person(s) responsible for today’s event are successfully identified, they could be facing both criminal and civil penalties."

Does tampering with a mail box (technically USPS property, even if purchased and placed by a citizen in their yard) fall under the same laws as tampering with mail? Seems like someone should've spent a couple more minutes thinking that one over...

Humm...They could just go to 'seek a cache' and ente the coords and find the cache page to locate the owner. I should be in the flippin FBI - LOL Regardless, a great way to end the life of a Micro.

Edited by WatchDog2020

It is my opinion that the person(s) responsible for this event are the overzealous LEOs who escalated it to this point. Geocaching has been around for what? 8 years? That there are cops who don't know about it and continue to overreact to a magnetic micro tells me that there's something lacking in law enforcement.

Can't somebody put out a memo or something???

Between the terrorism scares and the war on drugs, everything starts to look like a nail to cops who are carrying hammers.

There is even a cache to commerate this event now. GC1291C is probably a bit over the top . . .

There is even a cache to commerate this event now. GC1291C is probably a bit over the top . . .

:):):):D:D:D:D:D:lol:

Several LEO's here have pointed there are regular memos to the LEO community about geocaching. And another has pointed that many LEOs don't bother to make a mental note about what they read if they even read it.

On the way to a cache I stumbled across something in the woods that shouldn't be there. Called the PA state police which sent a trooper. He admitted he asked on their chat channel what geocaching was and another trooper gave him a quick overview.

My guess the LEO who stopped you was well aware of the cache if not the owner and was just messing with you. Though stopping you with lights and siren is - IMHO - pushing it.

(TheTexasGringo @ Oct 14 2008, 03:13 PM)

This should go in the "Geocaching In The News" Hall of Fame.

Edited by Uncopyrighted

Maybe they had been getting a lot of reports about people not trading evenly. :)

(Now I have an image in my head of a cop interrogating some cacher, holding his head down on the police vehicle. "So... you you think you can just waltz away with that carabiner after only putting in a three legged rubber lizard do ya? Well you've got another thing coming mister!") :(