Need help British Crossword puzzle cache

wkendfun

There is a puzzle cache in the United States (North Carolina) based on British Crossword puzzles. I have tried for months to solve this. Any help, clues, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

"You must use your British crossword solving skills to find the correct coordinates. The correct answer to the following clue will indicate the correct coordinates for the cache, hidden somewhere near Raleigh, North Carolina.

Swami Sally is all astir about her new diet -- soon she'll realize her fondest dream."

The cache is GC1DK9Q MC-4 For All You British Crossword Fans

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28-0cee02ab0739

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand! :)

There is a puzzle cache in the United States (North Carolina) based on British Crossword puzzles. I have tried for months to solve this. Any help, clues, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

"You must use your British crossword solving skills to find the correct coordinates. The correct answer to the following clue will indicate the correct coordinates for the cache, hidden somewhere near Raleigh, North Carolina.

Swami Sally is all astir about her new diet -- soon she'll realize her fondest dream."

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand! :)

"Swami Sally" is all astir.... <LLYWASAMIS - translated into Welsh by mandarin to avoid compromising the puzzle any further> :lol:(diet, fondest dream etc)

Not sure what makes this a British Crossword Puzzle? Don't you guys do cryptic crosswords?

Good luck with the rest of it.

Edited by mandarin

I've just had a look at the cache page: I think Stuey's given you the correct answer for the first part. The hint - "A rag man's knowledge is necessary to find this cache" points you to the anagram.

This is obviously meant to be a very difficult cache as it's been given a 5* difficulty. I suspect the owner wouldn't be too pleased to see the way to a solution being discussed on this forum, so I think any further help should be kept off this thread!

MrsB :)

Having had a puzzle cache ruined by a forum thread, I would go so far as to say this whole thread should be deleted...

I agree too. Since when has it been appropriate to give answers to puzzle caches in the forums? Going on recent precedent the thread should be closed immediately.

There is a puzzle cache in the United States (North Carolina) based on British Crossword puzzles.

"Swami Sally" is all astir.... <LLYWASAMIS - translated into Welsh by mandarin to avoid compromising the puzzle any further> :)(diet, fondest dream etc)

If anyone has actually looked at the cache page they will soon realise that my "solution" appears to be a really really basic part of it. If the anagram is the main stumbling block to people that have gone for several months without solving the puzzle then I'm speechless :)

I never meant for this puzzle to be solved. I was looking for help. I have never heard of a British crossword. I thought I could get it explained to me. Telling me that it uses anagrams was helpfull. It gave me somewhere to start. Talking down to me because I asked for help is just plain rude. I never asked for the answer to be posted nor has it been.

I never meant for this puzzle to be solved. I was looking for help. I have never heard of a British crossword. I thought I could get it explained to me. Telling me that it uses anagrams was helpfull. It gave me somewhere to start. Talking down to me because I asked for help is just plain rude. I never asked for the answer to be posted nor has it been.

Please don't think I was talking down to you. I wasn't. I'm not like that. It's easy to misread people's comments. Good luck with the puzzle. Now you have the anagram, I'd suggest that you contact the cache placer and ask for further advice. I wouldn't be surprised if local knowledge is required from this point in, but I'm no expert.... I'm just an average cacher who spends far far far too long in these forums.

Goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..................

:blink:

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand! :huh:

"Swami Sally" is all astir.... <LLYWASAMIS - translated into Welsh by mandarin to avoid compromising the puzzle any further> :D(diet, fondest dream etc)

Not sure what makes this a British Crossword Puzzle? Don't you guys do cryptic crosswords?

Greetings from North Carolina.

I too decided to look at this puzzle shortly after meeting the owner of the cache a few months ago. He even mentioned it was closer to more people than the fake coordinates put it at (which would cause more people to look at it). He encouraged me to try to find it, too. Needless to say, I looked and did not do much with it since it is somewhat far from me and I had no clue how to solve the puzzle. I'm still wondering where the crossword blocks are. :D

I looked again and began searching a little bit. We are not very familiar with this kind of puzzle. According to information on the website pointed to by the cache page, there are a few cryptic puzzle sources in the USA, but I have not seen them nor understood how to solve them.

Having looked at the puzzle page, the web page the puzzle page references, and a "how-to" page I found on Google, I'm still not entirely sure how to do these. The "hints" here in this forum haven't helped me that much either; I know what an anagram is, however, what that has to do with being translated into Welsh I'm not sure of, nor why it was done by mandarin Chinese (unless, that's the moderator's name?). I also found an online Welsh to English translator and that did nothing for me either.

Incidentally, what does a diet and fondest dream have to do with this puzzle or the anagram??

Any way... I am not expecting the solution to be given out, just as wkendfun I don't believe was looking for that either. We both are just looking for a place to start. However, to keep on topic, I would be interested if any of you have at least solved this puzzle (even though you might be a ways away to actually sign the log)? Also, are there any geocaching puzzles similar to this in the UK?

I would ask for a how-to on a similar puzzle (in the hopes it might teach me how to solve this one), but I got that on the tutorial web pages I found on Google. After 10 pages or more of it, I still don't completely get it, nor especially how I can get GPS coordinates from it. This must be as easy TIC TAC TOE for y'all, however, this seems pretty challenging to us. :blink::D:anicute: Practice makes perfect and we have no practice at all at it! :blink: Well, except maybe the cache owner... :huh:

Just curious... :D

Thanks and Regards,

_c3_ from B-Town, North Carolina, United States

Yes, Mandarin is our Forum Mod.

(Named after the type of duck)

The "translated into Welsh" may or may not be Welsh!

Thanks. I got some emails explaining the hint and well, asking for help also. I'll try to email the explanation to those interested in help also soon (including wkendfun). I was glad to see that the hint had nothing to do with conjugation of the word "be" (as in "is, am, and was").

Yeah, I see that now about the moderator... I actually looked mandarin up and saw it had lots of meanings before I inititially posted, but sure it was the language at first... :(

Thanks again...

Edited by _c3_

However, to keep on topic, I would be interested if any of you have at least solved this puzzle (even though you might be a ways away to actually sign the log)?

I think so; at least, I have a set of coordinates which is near a road near Raleigh. If I lived in the area, I'd be confident enough to go to that location and expect to find the cache there.

If I'm correct, solving the crossword clue is 90% of the way towards getting the coordinates - though there's a BIG intuitive leap you have to make to get the last 10%. It's really a very neat idea and no, I've never seen it done before.

Cheers

Richard

I think so; at least, I have a set of coordinates which is near a road near Raleigh. If I lived in the area, I'd be confident enough to go to that location and expect to find the cache there.

If I'm correct, solving the crossword clue is 90% of the way towards getting the coordinates - though there's a BIG intuitive leap you have to make to get the last 10%. It's really a very neat idea and no, I've never seen it done before.

Thank you to all over across the pond. With the reading of this past conversation, we were able to solve the mystery and logged the find this PM. Richard's statement is so true and this is a well done puzzle, just mind boggling.

Again thank you to all who posted messages.

Thank you to all over across the pond. With the reading of this past conversation, we were able to solve the mystery and logged the find this PM. Richard's statement is so true and this is a well done puzzle, just mind boggling.

Again thank you to all who posted messages.

Edited by Tatortott