Celtic tree of life

scavok

The enamel came out darker than expected. In the sunlight it shows the true olive green it is supposed to be, though :rolleyes: These were ordered sight unseen which was risky because the enameling is reversed. Rather than the colored enamel filling the area around the tree we were able to get it so that the tree itself is colored.

If anybody wants to, they can post pictures here. Its not a secret coin by any means. Heck they're already for sale at $50 on ebay (pictures included) B)

Hard to believe that it has been almost a year since a post in this thread. I'd like to revive it a bit with some new coins :yikes:

I received samples today for some non enameled 2-toned TOL coins and I think you all will love them. They are awesome in hand here! I'm waiting to hear from the mint to see if I have to sell these in limited quantities or if they have the 2-tone process down pat on these detailed coins yet :huh:

I'll post here and send out a newsletter with dates and information in the next day or so. I will be leaving out of town this weekend and would like to have the presale running before I go so in the end I can ship them out before school starts up for me in a couple months.

Some Pics :laughing:

Det1_800.jpg

Det2_800.jpg

very pretty.

Pretty indeed. The picture below may be one of my most prized coins (blue on two-tone). I am not sure why Scavok sent it to me, but it might have been for being a repeat customer and buying many many different editions of his coins. I look forward to seeing what he will sell next.

img8551small.jpg

Edited by GregsonVaux

On occasion I stick an extra coin in a package for one reason or another. Good customer, bad customer, good mood, ya know whatever... :huh:

Things have been busy for me, its prevented me from spending time caching actually :yikes: I've been ordering random samples of finishes in existing coins, finalizing mint art for the irish dancing dress, mint art on the gaiascape coin, my compass rose coin and in the midst of the presale for the nature's night & day while doing custom designs for pins for my school classmates.

Fun stuff :laughing:

On occasion I stick an extra coin in a package for one reason or another. Good customer, bad customer, good mood, ya know whatever... :laughing:

Things have been busy for me, its prevented me from spending time caching actually :yikes: I've been ordering random samples of finishes in existing coins, finalizing mint art for the irish dancing dress, mint art on the gaiascape coin, my compass rose coin and in the midst of the presale for the nature's night & day while doing custom designs for pins for my school classmates.

Fun stuff :laughing:

Sheesh! And here we thought you were just slacking off! :huh:

This coin has not shown up on my coin reviews yet because I was saving the best till last. However, I feel that it is my duty to tell people that this is a coin they should not miss and is probably the closest to what I would call art. If I had to pick a favorite coin, this might be it.

Edited by GregsonVaux

This coin has not shown up on my coin reviews yet because I was saving the best till last. However, I feel that it is my duty to tell people that this is a coin they should not miss and is probably the closest to what I would call art. If I had to pick a favorite coin, this might be it.

I just talked myself into ordering three more (I had ordered two previously).

I do have one concern. I ordered three green on gold to either give away or trade, but the picture makes it look like Scavok is using soft enamel this time. His previous Tree of Life coins used hard enamel and some sort of clear fill for the uncolored parts. It made for a very smooth and luxurious coin. It was the embodiment of quality and made you feel good about the world as a whole. If the new coins use soft enamel, it will be like watching the decline of a one powerful friend or nation. Hopefully I am seeing that picture incorrectly.

On the other hand, even with soft enamel it will still be a worthy coin. Not a 10, but a good solid 9.

By the way, the green on gold is probably one of the more common color schemes for this coin, but now that I own most of the color combinations, I can say that this may also be one of the best. Yes, rare finishes have their appeal, but the green on gold is so right.

Edited by GregsonVaux

Not to worry, they are stil hard enamels :anibad: almost all of my coins use hard enamels, the only exceptions off the top of my head are a few colors on the Night & Day, the opaque purple tengwars and some experimental finishes that i ebay every once in a while. I thnk the dark translucent pirple on brushed nickel tengwar was a soft one as well ( which actully ended up having a remarkable effect).

I appreciate all the kind words, i always feel a little strange doing a remint, hoping people dont think im just ringing the market with new finishes. The truth is that each color/metal combination that i offer for sale has a couple other combos behind it that just didnt make the cut.

If anyone is interested in my opinion, my favorite colored one is the red on silver and my favorite naked one is the satin gold on silver :grin:

Ignore the countless typos, im posting from my phone this evening :sad:

Edited by scavok

Epoxies, lacquers and enamels, oh my.

The parts that appear to be plain metal (edges) actually have a lacquer-like substance on them, other areas that are filled in clear are enamels. Some are hard and some soft, but epoxies haven't been used yet since anything of mine with filling has had color on them. I hadn't actually run into mixing epoxy and hard, but it makes sense since they would require different finishing processes. Its the same reason mixing certain finishes is difficult and my early ant. copper and ant. silver 2-tone tengwar is so hard to come by :mad:.

Epoxies, lacquers and enamels, oh my.

The parts that appear to be plain metal (edges) actually have a lacquer-like substance on them, other areas that are filled in clear are enamels. Some are hard and some soft, but epoxies haven't been used yet since anything of mine with filling has had color on them. I hadn't actually run into mixing epoxy and hard, but it makes sense since they would require different finishing processes. Its the same reason mixing certain finishes is difficult and my early ant. copper and ant. silver 2-tone tengwar is so hard to come by :mad:.

I had thought that the green and gold Tree of Life was finished with hard enamel and epoxy. I have a coin right next to me as I am typing and it appears to all be all hard enamel because the entire surface is mirror smooth. There is no puckering inward as happens with soft enamels. The issue is that I was not given an option from the mint for a hard clear fill except for epoxy. All of the hard fills that the mint listed were either opaque or a colored fill.

I had thought that the green and gold Tree of Life was finished with hard enamel and epoxy. I have a coin right next to me as I am typing and it appears to all be all hard enamel because the entire surface is mirror smooth.

My minting invoices specify that the coins only have hard enamel (no mention of any epoxies) which lead me to think that it is a colored hard enamel and a colorless hard enamel, but I've sent off an email for clarification. I guess its possible they did the colored part with the enamel first and then overfilled the remainder with epoxy and ground it down to a smooth surface.

Most likely I'll learn something new about my own coins here ;)

I had thought that the green and gold Tree of Life was finished with hard enamel and epoxy. I have a coin right next to me as I am typing and it appears to all be all hard enamel because the entire surface is mirror smooth.

My minting invoices specify that the coins only have hard enamel (no mention of any epoxies) which lead me to think that it is a colored hard enamel and a colorless hard enamel, but I've sent off an email for clarification. I guess its possible they did the colored part with the enamel first and then overfilled the remainder with epoxy and ground it down to a smooth surface.

Most likely I'll learn something new about my own coins here ;)

I am anxious to hear because the finish on that coin is spectacular. I want my coins to have a similar finish.

Ugh. Well they made it here. They made it here with a major error though.

The coins with colored enamel were done so incorrectly. Orders with non-colored coins only will be shipped out Monday, the others will be delayed. I've contacted C&P with an ASAP request and will of course keep you all updated.

CORRECT enamel pattern: HERE

ARRIVED: HERE

It is a cool looking coin and am actually impressed they were able to color it this way, but its still incorrect and not what we paid for. I give my sincerest e-apology I can here and will do my best to get it fixed as quickly as I can.

The coins with colored enamel were done so incorrectly. Orders with non-colored coins only will be shipped out Monday, the others will be delayed. I've contacted C&P with an ASAP request and will of course keep you all updated.

It is a cool looking coin and am actually impressed they were able to color it this way, but its still incorrect and not what we paid for. I give my sincerest e-apology I can here and will do my best to get it fixed as quickly as I can.

Mmmmm... well, for me it's ok this finish too, I like it, so if no problem for you, can I have it instead the "correct geocoin"?

Mmmmm... well, for me it's ok this finish too, I like it, so if no problem for you, can I have it instead the "correct geocoin"?

I ordered three colored ones and while I would much prefer the correct colors, You can send me these one too. In other words, I'll pay for both sets. Is it possible to get a discount on the mistakes?

It depends if I even get to keep them. Sometimes they want mistakes returned so they can re-use the tracking codes. My guess is that I wont hear back from anyone until monday so until then they're still boxed up :) When I sent the email to C&P I asked if I could purchase them as long as getting new codes wouldn't hold up the process for the correct finishes to be made, so we'll see about selling prices from there.

wow, the error coin is awesome looking!

It depends if I even get to keep them. Sometimes they want mistakes returned so they can re-use the tracking codes. My guess is that I wont hear back from anyone until monday so until then they're still boxed up :) When I sent the email to C&P I asked if I could purchase them as long as getting new codes wouldn't hold up the process for the correct finishes to be made, so we'll see about selling prices from there.

Tracking codes only cost $1.50 each, so I would just say to put on new codes. I can't imagine that new codes would slow things down much. However, I don't really know that for sure.

Tracking codes only cost $1.50 each, so I would just say to put on new codes. I can't imagine that new codes would slow things down much. However, I don't really know that for sure.

Agreed entirely, but I guess sometimes they would rather reuse the codes than give a discount on selling error coins to me.

I like the error ones as well. I had thought about that enamel pattern too (actually I've used it if you have one of the mystery finish coins) so its good to see it :)

Agreed entirely, but I guess sometimes they would rather reuse the codes than give a discount on selling error coins to me.

I like the error ones as well. I had thought about that enamel pattern too (actually I've used it if you have one of the mystery finish coins) so its good to see it :)

That's a tough one. I would hate to see coins with duplicate numbers made, but I would also hate to see these error coins destroyed. If the mist insists on using the old tracking numbers when making replacements, I guess the only option is to pay full price for the mint's mistake. The problem that I have with duplicate numbers is that with the longevity of coins, there is too much chance that two coins could get out in the world and screw up the logging system.

By the way, how many colored error coins are there and in which color combinations?

I can have those geocoins with duplicate tracks in my collection without any problem for many years, but there maybe have a problem in the future if somebody puts it in the wild, and the original is out there too. That can be an identity trouble, ...like an encounter with himself?, ...perhaps in a parallel dimension?

I think that is not possible to be in two places ...at same time.

However I would like to buy too the duplicate.

We all want the duplicate! :laughing:

I can have those geocoins with duplicate tracks in my collection without any problem for many years, but there maybe have a problem in the future if somebody puts it in the wild, and the original is out there too. That can be an identity trouble, ...like an encounter with himself?, ...perhaps in a parallel dimension?

I feel rather strongly that duplicates should be avoided since it corrupts the tracking system that I so admire. If the numbers are ground off by someone who knows what they are doing and made it look nice, that would be fine, but just grinding them off by hand would be defacing the coins. I hate to see beautiful things damaged. Making new coins with new numbers and selling the errors at full cost or whatever discount can be obtained appeals to me the most. Truth be told Roger, if the number of errors is small, they could probably be sold on eBay at a premium. Myself, I would just want to keep the three that I ordered.

I feel rather strongly that duplicates should be avoided since it corrupts the tracking system that I so admire. If the numbers are ground off by someone who knows what they are doing and made it look nice, that would be fine, but just grinding them off by hand would be defacing the coins. I hate to see beautiful things damaged. Making new coins with new numbers and selling the errors at full cost or whatever discount can be obtained appeals to me the most. Truth be told Roger, if the number of errors is small, they could probably be sold on eBay at a premium. Myself, I would just want to keep the three that I ordered.

I have a duplicate geocoin, a minting error, but the store that sold it to me did not realize until I told him that the activation code has already been removed, and activated.

So sent me another without duplicating. I believe it is necessary to have the activation codes. So you can know if everything is correct, or maybe not.

I've saved my geocoin duplicate, and to avoid identity problems with the original, in the future, in this dimension or another, I've deleted the duplicate track number, without damage the coin.

It is preferable to remove the track, rather than destroy the coin. But is no longer a geocoin, it lost identity!, ...but still pretty!

Edited by manu luq

I like that a lot! If you have any spares I'd love to add one to my collection.

I think I ordered one of the coins that came out wrong (green on gold). I have to say I like both a lot and I would like to get both versions (the ordered and the error one). Of course I would pay the extra coin no matter if the tracking code is the same, is somehow deleted or a new code.