Celtic tree of life

scavok

Pardon the quality of the image, but it is a photograph of two pages straight out of my sketch book.

One side is a number of celtic symbols with specific meanings and the other is the broad meaning in my rendition of the celtic symbol for the tree of life.

More will be added (some creatures in the tree, specifically), but I wanted to share it with you all as is for now. I imagine it to be a bigger coin, 2" at least, trackable with a quote and tracking info on the side.

Thanks for looking :)

TOL_photo.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster
Pardon the quality of the image, but it is a photograph of two pages straight out of my sketch book.

One side is a number of celtic symbols with specific meanings and the other is the broad meaning in my rendition of the celtic symbol for the tree of life.

More will be added (some creatures in the tree, specifically), but I wanted to share it with you all as is for now. I imagine it to be a bigger coin, 2" at least, trackable with a quote and tracking info on the side.

Thanks for looking :) VERY NICE, We Are Def. Interested.

TOL_photo.jpg

Will it have the words CELTIC TREE OF LIFE on it anywhere?? Looking nice so far!

It will somewhere, I'm not sure if I will just have it as part of the inscription along the edge of the coin or if I should add a border around the main image with wording (seems a little plain to me that way, but maybe someone has some ideas?)

Roger you're truly gifted, brother! Sent you an email, but have to say it out here too, I can tell just from the sketching already that this will be yet another "over the top" coin, stunning and filled with all the little details, incredible art, and balance that blew me away on your Tengwar coin.

Way to raise the bar once again!! This will be another incredible coin, and being a Celtic theme, I'm already glassy-eyed waiting for the mintings!! :)

Peace,

K

It's beautiful I have to say I preferred it in just one colour though.

It will be in one color/finish, the different colors in the mockup are just to designate the levels of line height on the coin. On the multi symbol side, I made the symbols a lower level than the face so that possibly some version can have a transparent enamel that covers those patterns, but lets others not be covered (like the tengwar coins were).

I'm glad you all are liking it, I haven't received any 'I hate it' emails yet :ph34r:

It's beautiful I have to say I preferred it in just one colour though.

It will be in one color/finish, the different colors in the mockup are just to designate the levels of line height on the coin. On the multi symbol side, I made the symbols a lower level than the face so that possibly some version can have a transparent enamel that covers those patterns, but lets others not be covered (like the tengwar coins were).

I'm glad you all are liking it, I haven't received any 'I hate it' emails yet :ph34r:

I'm really happy to hear you're doing the multi-leveled approach leaving the option to do some of the transparent enamels. I found the Tengwar coin was stunning in both single metals, but equally (if not more in some respects) gorgeous and stunning with the different transparent colors too.

Hoping you'll release these much like the Tengwar was, in different metals (oh PLEASE do a .925 silver and/or gold!!!) as well as some color options. I really enjoyed some of the colors on that Tengwar coin (the red and turquoise were favorites!!) as well as the single metals.

Amazing work brother!! I'm SOOOOO looking forward to this coin!!!!!!!

Peace,

K

What a beautiful coin! Great knotwork! I have an interest in European Folk culture and will have to get myself one of these when they are released!

Please do keep us all posted!

Will there be a black nickel version?

Edited by vw_keychain

I really like the two sides featured directly from your sketchbook better than the later images with the underlying design (which looks a lot like the NAWWAL coin?). The layering effect combined with translucent resin always makes for an awesome coin, but I wonder if the design underneath the resin is too busy such as to detract from the main artwork?

Just my $0.02. I am so looking forward to seeing the final product! Thanks for sharing...

I really like the two sides featured directly from your sketchbook better than the later images with the underlying design (which looks a lot like the NAWWAL coin?). The layering effect combined with translucent resin always makes for an awesome coin, but I wonder if the design underneath the resin is too busy such as to detract from the main artwork?

Just my $0.02. I am so looking forward to seeing the final product! Thanks for sharing...

I thought about the busy-ness as well, but the leveling with it would be a large difference between level 1 and level 2. The difference between the recessed level and level 1 would be minimal, almost to where the only difference is that level 1 is just not gritty. The lines in the background pattern will be much finer than the image shows as well, so the main art will be much more distinct.

I appreciate the input, I'll see how it looks when the official mint art comes back and post that here for opinions as well :)

Edited by scavok

I received the official OK from C&P that they will sponser a presale for the coin. Production will start early next year and the presale should be in Feb or Mar at the latest.

If by some miracle I make some money off of the Journey geocoin I will use that to fund this coin and get it going a little quicker (if possible).

Thanks everyone!

I received the official OK from C&P that they will sponser a presale for the coin. Production will start early next year and the presale should be in Feb or Mar at the latest.

If by some miracle I make some money off of the Journey geocoin I will use that to fund this coin and get it going a little quicker (if possible).

Thanks everyone!

I look forward to seeing this one in production and will try to be among the first to pre-order!!!

What about making it 2 coins?

I was really impressed with the original sketches, as some others have commented. The second sketches are beautiful as well, building upon the 1st. I kind of appreciate them both ways.

I love the addition of the birds and animals-- what a beautiful design. I can't wait to see more!

I do to, you could add the words in the basket weave section of the tree, one word per square....just my .02 worth, really like the design.

FB - When I drew these up I was planning in putting the words in the tree in a script that made the texture for it. But I also realized that when I was drawing it they are 8 inch diameter sketches. Anything I drew had to be pretty chunky to show up at all (much less detailed) when shrunk down to 1.75" - 2." Thats why I went with the trunk as it is. I'd love some script in the image, but I think it would be too high a risk of being illegible in the finished product.

Choir - In the very beginning thinking about doing these coins it was going to be a 3 part series in celtic fashion; animal, vegetable and mineral. The tree of life was the vegetable (obviously). But with so many other celtic coins that have come out (and a few more great ones I know of on the way), I am only going to do the one. Take note that the only change from the original is the addition of animals and the background pattern. There won't be color differences, the colors just indicate the levels of line height, if thats what you were wondering about :lol:

Heya Roger!

Geez, I had a DREAM about this coin last night!! What the @#$#! is up with THAT?!? :ph34r:

I simply can't wait any longer, can I just send you a bunch of cash and you can send me a sackfull of the coins when they arrive? :ph34r:

In all seriousness (and the above was kind of serious in a goofy sort of way because I did have a dream about the coin), I'm so excited about this coin I think about it often. Although I think all the feedback is wonderful...brother, just do it like you're feelin' it!! The layers, the effects, I LIKE the sort of "business" in this particular coin because it's not just busy, it's intricate, it's very crucial and central to the Celtic theme, and it's all you and the style you're bringing to the coin. I know others also have varied feelings about the colors, seethrough, etc. I LOVED those colors on the Tengwar coin, and with all the thought and layering that goes into these, they just do it so well! As another said, the greens....man...with shiny gold and shiny silver...good LORD they've got such potential!!

I'm tellin' ya man, the Tengwar coins are always the "last ones to come out" when I'm showin' off my coins, and without any fanfair, it's like the 4th of July with the "oooohs and aaaaahs".

I can't wait for this coin brother!!

Hey, one more very serious question, is your newsletter happening? I haven't received any yet, not that I'm complaining, but wanted to make sure that I'm not missing out. Is that the BEST way for me to stay on top of the release and getting in on the pre-release, etc? Sometimes I just don't make it out here to the forums as much as I'd like.

Thanks again for all you do man!!

K

treeoflife.jpg

I'm so glad you are making these. My mom had these plaques, it seems like forever, in her home and she always loved them. She said the tree, people, animals, and flowers represent something on the order of "the circle of life". I've never been able to find any information on the meaning or origin of it though.

Do you know anything about the meaning?

Can't wait for the preorder, these are going to be beautiful. A must have for me : )

Edited by BVnLJ

BVnLV - Those are great plaques, I haven't seen anything like those before. I'm not 100% sure myself on the origin, but I do believe that the meaning depends on the perspective of the viewer. My tendancy is to see it as total interdependance :grin:

I'll take a wad of cash anytime, Harm :grin: I am actually looking in to coming up with some money to get this done quicker. If I can come up with it soon and really hurry things along this could come available during the time between christmas and new year's.

The newsletter isn't really a newsletter. I'm not cool, or interesting, enough to update people on my day to day life :D I'll use it when there is something substantial to announce! I was thinking about sending out an email asking for opinions on sale strategy options:

1. Presale by C&P in February

2. Presale by scavok.com (me) in 8-weeks ish

3. Sale of set amount (500-ish) coins in hand in 3 months followed by a presale for reminting at a slightly inflated price since it would be a smaller minting.

Edit to add:

Click here to visit my poll page to let me know if you don't want to comment here about it.

Edited by scavok

After a whopping voter turnout of 43, I still feel the majority rules. I sent the final artwork in today and will hold presales when I receive samples.

I'll post the official die art when I finalize that too.

Thanks all, this is going to be a good one!

First mint art received is below :unsure: The back turned out perfect, the front needs some changes made; I think they simplified the labyrinth a bit to much, the corners in the middle spiral need smoothed, and some spacing needs corrected, but overall I think it is definitely on its way!

Edit to add: I'm also trying to get it to be a 2" diameter instead

TOLMA01.jpg

Edited by scavok

how are these coming along? any new pictures? ;)

As a matter of fact I received the new die art yesterday and gave the final OK to create some samples. I'll post pics as soon as I receive them :)

There will be 2 antiqued metals and a shiny with colored enamel for samples. There may be others for sale when the time comes too, but we'll see.

Edited by scavok

Please keep us updated. I must have one of these coins.

I am very impressed with your other coins also. Too bad that I just stumbled upon this hobby recently and missed out on the great work you have produced in the past. I was really impressed with your Tengwar coin as well....too bad its sold out. :huh:

Your chosen colors are so different and unique today. Wonderful.

The colors in the art from Oct 13th and Nov 26th are there to simply show the different layers of line height. I am going to try for some different toned metals, but in the end coins will be monochromatic with enamels in some versions filling in the recessed areas. I'm hoping for a classy coin, and as fun as the colors are, I want to steer away from the painted look in this particular case. Different versions.. who knows :huh:

On another note - it sure is painful to drag it out this long, I just really want to get it just right, ya know? We're on the 4th version of mint art and as long as the text turns out correct this time, samples will be minted from it with photos to follow :huh:

The samples will be antique silver, antique bronze and 1 with enamel on both sides: dark green on shiny gold metal. The enamel should be leveled like the tengwars were, with the highest level exposed and the other levels below LIKE THIS. If (a big if) it is popular enough I will have additional mintings.

I will do presales from my website www.scavok.com and announcements will primarily be made here and via my site's newsletter (which you sign up for by creating an account on my site).

I'm glad you all are liking it, I'm getting anxious!

Edited by scavok