YHA

Hi guys. Thinking of joining the Yha and wondering what it's like these days. If it wasn't for caching I wouldn't have thought of it but we want to search beyond our backdoor and don't want to spend a fortune. We do camp a bit, but prefer a solid roof where possible.

Is the YHA the answer to my prayers?

Hi guys. Thinking of joining the Yha and wondering what it's like these days. If it wasn't for caching I wouldn't have thought of it but we want to search beyond our backdoor and don't want to spend a fortune. We do camp a bit, but prefer a solid roof where possible.

I returned to hostelling a couple of years ago and found that it had changed quite a bit (for the better).

No more chores

No more sheet sleeping bags

No more 10 O'clock curfew

Licenced Bars in many

Personally, I joined the Scottish YHA - all the same as the YHA but a lot cheaper

Oh noooooooo, you mean the one I have had in the back of the airing cupboard for years, "just in case" is now redundant? :blink::laughing::D

I can possibly see a new dog-blanket in the making. :P

I was going to stay at the Arundel YHA, but after 9 hours of walking, I decided to take the train home instead.

I'm sure it's nice though! :lol:

Edited by currykev

I returned to hostelling a couple of years ago and found that it had changed quite a bit (for the better).

No more chores

No more 10 O'clock curfew

Licenced Bars in many

Personally, I joined the Scottish YHA - all the same as the YHA but a lot cheaper

You honestly think things have improved?

The YHA is supposed to provide good basic cheap accomodation. They stopped doing that years ago you they moved to smaller rooms and carpets everywhere :)

As a life member and hosteller for many years, I have seen plenty of changes. I have even been involved with organisational side, but gave up when it purely became a managed company which didn't listen to its members.

I still hostel, as an individual and as a member of a local group. Althought the accomodation is not the value for money it once was, I still like the option of self catering to reduce costs (also a fussy eater).

The social side is better than a B&B, it is good to meet and talk to other hostellers, especially for a lone traveller.

Non members can stay, but pay an extra £3 per night, but this is refundable off the membership fee.

As a local group, we prefer to stay at the basic (cheaper) non licensed hostels, so we can take our own alcohol and cook our own group meal. Licenced hostels sell cheap wine at expensive prices.

Ivan

I like the idea of self catering. Is this an option at most hostels?

I know at least one of the London hostels doesn't have a self catering kitchen, and the self catering facilities at some city hostels are not brilliant (especially for a group).

Unfortuantly, some hostels have put up their prices and include a basic breakfast, again, it is mostly the city hostels. Further information about each hostel can be found on their website http://www.yha.org.uk/.

Ivan

Ok lets get down to brass tacks!!

On a normal camping trip i would pay 52 quid for two people to stay three nights with tent plus car.

How much is a hostel (and how much to join) ?

I am thinking the peak district or the lakes(i would guess london is a little more).

And what should i expect from a hostel? Iv never been to one, Is it rooms,dorms?

Do you have to take your own beding?? :ph34r:

Hostels can be as little as £10 per person per night in a shared single sex dorm.

The more luxurious hostels can cost over £20.

Some hostels have rooms which can be booked for sole useage, although this usually costs more.

The web site has information on each hostel, although it is not always easy to find the cost or availability for a particular night.

Annual membership is £15.95 per person, or £22.95 for a family.

Bedding is supplied (sheet, pillow case and duvet cover), although you do have to make the bed yourself.

The only thing you need to take is food if you are self catering. Pans, crockery and cutlery are provided in the self cooker kitchens.

Some of the bigger hostels have lockers, which you can put your padlock on, for extra security.

Hostelling will be more expensive than camping, but you don't need to carry and pitch a tent (and associated equipment). If it is raining, you should be able to stay warm and dry, although bear in mind that most hostels are closed between 10am and 5pm.

Ivan

Bought Life membership years ago when is was only £12 (for my lifetime) Still receive Triangle. Stopped using the Hostels when it became cheaper to tent on a Camping and Caravan site than Hostel. Old bones crept in and now I have a Campervan. I still carry my Hostel card with me when I travel just in case I get stuck somewhere and need a roof over my head. The YHA at Conkers looks very nice. I had a quick reccy around it this summer as the New Camping and Caravanning Site at Conkers is next door. It was also next to the Cycle/walking Ashby trail of 7 caches in only a few miles with Cache Moria Madness in the middle. Alas since the summer the Ashby trail caches have been archived. Cause? Pity as it was a very good series. I cycled it and did them all in one day.

You honestly think things have improved?

The YHA is supposed to provide good basic cheap accomodation. They stopped doing that years ago you they moved to smaller rooms and carpets everywhere :(

Yeah, they've closed a lot, but the ones that are still open are worth visiting. And smaller rooms = lower snoring impact potential. 'cept I use them mostly in the winter when they are mostly closed ...