Nintendo DS Paperless Caching

jam4ar

Saw (and replied to) a post the other day about paperless caching on the Nintendo DS, after thinking about it some more, I decided to write a program for the DS that can read GPX files. So now you can just load your pocket query file or an export from GSAK and away you go. This is a very new (read "has a few bugs") but I think it is very functional even at this early stage.

jk7r11.jpg

Sorry for the crummy image - Emulators can't run this program so no pretty screenshots.

Features

-View Description, Hint, Difficulty, Terrain, Owner, Container, and Cache type

-Control with either stylus or buttons (buttons not implemented as I'm posting this but should done by tomorrow)

-See Hint only if you click the button

-Swap windows from top to bottom to control either with the stylus.

-FREE! (Though if you want to send a garmin Colorado or Oregon my way I wouldn't refuse :blink: )

A few known (but hopefully fixed soon) limitations.

- Only Geocaches for the moment. child waypoints can't be handled yet. After I add the logic for the parser to tell the difference this should be fixed.

- Scroll Bars in the windows are kinda screwy (dragging with the stylus works great though).

- Limited to about 200 waypoints - This is a hardware issue I believe, but I may try to optimize a bit more for

better efficiency.

- HTML in descriptions is not parsed so some of it looks really ugly. All the text is still there and readable, you just have to sift through the HTML tags to find it.

- I'm sure there are more.

How to get it:

Until I set up a project page somewhere, I will email it to anyone who wants it. Just send me a message here (don't forget to include your email address) and I'll send you the rom along with some more detailed instructions for use. *note you need a flash cart for use, has been tested on R4, should work on others*

A few things to note and give credit where it is due. This was coded up pretty quick and while I've done a good bit of testing I'm sure there are some bugs that need fixing. I can and will in no way be held responsible for any damage or resulting loss from use of this program. It is supplied free of charge and free of warranty, while I plan to develop it a bit more and get the bugs out I can't make any promises of bugfixes or support though I will do my best as time allows.

This was developed using the Woopsi library, a great tool for rapid application development on the DS. XML parsing is done with TinyXML. Compiled using the DevKitARM toolkit along with PALib. Filesystem access is via libFat. This whole thing is made possible by lots of work by lots of people providing great toolkits. Thanks to all of them.

I would love to download this to be able to go paperless but I don't know what to do. I downloaded the program from the website onto my computer but I could not figure out how to get it from the computer to the dsL. I went ot a local game exchange video game shop. The people there told me I needed to buy something called Action Replay. So I went to Walmart and bought it. I have installed it on my computer but can not make heads or tail of it. So I need help!!!!!! I feel like an idiot because I just don't have a clue about what to do. I have never done anything with my dsL except plop a game in and play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to download this to be able to go paperless but I don't know what to do. I downloaded the program from the website onto my computer but I could not figure out how to get it from the computer to the dsL. I went ot a local game exchange video game shop. The people there told me I needed to buy something called Action Replay. So I went to Walmart and bought it. I have installed it on my computer but can not make heads or tail of it. So I need help!!!!!! I feel like an idiot because I just don't have a clue about what to do. I have never done anything with my dsL except plop a game in and play.

PM on it's way.

Homebrew... hmm.. will it work on a new DSi?

Not until they work out something I guess?

I don't own a DSi but since I saw the KORG DS-10 Synthesizer on it, I'm keeping an eye on this console.

A few things are starting to show up for DSi homebrew, Hopefully it will continue to get better. I just hope Nintendo will try to live peacefully with homebrew rather than shut it down with firmware updates.

As for DSCache and the DSi, I have no idea if it will work. They're not even out here in the US yet.

Edited by jam4ar

Kind of new to this and would love to be able to use my DsL to go paperless, but have no idea what i need to do this (memory card, type of USB cable or where I can get all this) I have asked a few stores around my place and since none of them know what geocaching is they all say that they don't know.

Thanks for any help possible.

Kind of new to this and would love to be able to use my DsL to go paperless, but have no idea what i need to do this (memory card, type of USB cable or where I can get all this) I have asked a few stores around my place and since none of them know what geocaching is they all say that they don't know.

Thanks for any help possible.

PM Sent.

Just for anyone else interested though. To use homebrew on a DS you need what is called a Flash Cartridge. There are several out there, a popular one is called the R4DS (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer). If you need help getting it setup PM me and I can give you some pointers.

Edited by jam4ar

I Put your app and the GPX file at the root of my Cyclo Evolution card,

but after choosing it from the list, the app loads for a bit,

and both screens turn black. What am I missing.

I have additional WayPoints in my file.

I now read those are not supported,

but would it crash the app?

Thank you,

Black

PS. Great Idea for an app.

I Put your app and the GPX file at the root of my Cyclo Evolution card,

but after choosing it from the list, the app loads for a bit,

and both screens turn black. What am I missing.

I have additional WayPoints in my file.

I now read those are not supported,

but would it crash the app?

Thank you,

Black

PS. Great Idea for an app.

Yea, sadly it will crash the XML parser. I wrote the program pretty qucik and didn't put a whole lot of error checking and robustness in general in it so it pretty much takes a nose dive when it encounters something it doesn't know what to do with.

I still have plans to work on the bugs and other problems with it but just haven't been able to find the time.

Oh and BTW if anyone wants the source to continue development I'd be happy to provide it. PM me.

Edited by jam4ar

Good!

I got it to work by removing child waypoints,

and by redusing the number of caches to 99.

One thing I found is that other then HTML codes,

neither are accented characters displayed,

which are very important in many languages

other then English, such as mine, French.

Also, having the last logs available would be nice.

TFTA (Thanks For The Application) ;-)

Black

What you need is a card such as a Cyclo Evolution with a Mico SD card.

It comes with a USB adapter, so you do not need a cable.

You can then install a whole bunch of HomeBrew applications,

and other things.

Yes, that is correct. The one I usually recommend is the R4DS for no other reason than it is the one I use and have had no problems with it at all. But the process is pretty general for all of them. Copy the .nds file to your microSD card, put the card in the cartridge for the DS and turn it on.

Of course for DS Cache you'll also need to copy a GPX file to the card but that is all described in a document with the download.

This is great! But just one question please? I can see the noyes and the clue - but the co-ords areb't always included. Am I unticking something I should be ticking? Great app though!

Nope, you're not unchecking anything. It just isn't programmed to do that. When I get around to working on the next version I will look at putting that in.

This is great! But just one question please? I can see the noyes and the clue - but the co-ords areb't always included. Am I unticking something I should be ticking? Great app though!

Nope, you're not unchecking anything. It just isn't programmed to do that. When I get around to working on the next version I will look at putting that in.

Please do, as I say its a great app and I really appreciate your work on it!

Edited by glastocat

Hi! Will this work on the Nintendo DSi, also?

Please email me I'd love to download: angelagorczynski@yahoo.com

Thanks!

I've not really investigated homebrew on the DSi too much (not much out there on it, yet), but I'm about 99.9% sure it will not run. The thing about homebrew is that it's not an official function of the DS, it's something that other developers reverse engineer to get working. (It would be great if Nintendo would support it officially, oh the things we could do!) So.. it takes a little while to get everything working when a new product comes out. Right now the DSi is still in that stage, it looks like a few people are getting it to do some things but it's just not "there" yet. We just have to give it time until homebrew matures a bit on the DSi.

Now, regarding the next version. I know I've made other posts about it, and trust me, I REALLY want to give you folks a new, better, faster, prettier, more functional program. The problem is, time. Right now I just don't have enough to devote to writing the next version. So.. just hold tight, try to work with what is there and as soon as I get some more time I will write a new, better, version.

Thanks to everyone who uses it, I hope it's working well for you.

-J

I have a CycloDS card with my DS, but getting a proper GPX file confuses me a bit.

How do I get a GPX file to put on my microSD card?

You`ll need to run a pocket query to get the initial GPX file(premium membership required).

Limit your query to 200 caches ,and you`ll probably need to run it through GSAK to strip out some of the unwanted info.

Check the readme file in the download ,everything you need to know is in there.

Edited by Jake Bullit

>.> amusingly, I'm the cause for this being made (indirectly), and am just now to posting this on here..

I started using it right after it was released. It is a great little program, obviously not quite as good yet as Cachemate, but it's better than can be expected for a free first-draft program.

I really do hope the creator gets us a new version sometime soon. Perhaps with a 500 WP capacity and/or the ability to switch between gpx files.

And Jam4ar, function > speed > looks :D

Also, if you odn't have one.. set up a paypal account we can donate a bit to, maybe donations coming in will help you get motivated to make v2? :laughing: (if not, I have a bull whip!)

hey does it work loc waypoint files and can you send it to me my email is taylor@10eworld.info

Saw (and replied to) a post the other day about paperless caching on the Nintendo DS, after thinking about it some more, I decided to write a program for the DS that can read GPX files. So now you can just load your pocket query file or an export from GSAK and away you go. This is a very new (read "has a few bugs") but I think it is very functional even at this early stage.

jk7r11.jpg

Sorry for the crummy image - Emulators can't run this program so no pretty screenshots.

Features

-View Description, Hint, Difficulty, Terrain, Owner, Container, and Cache type

-Control with either stylus or buttons (buttons not implemented as I'm posting this but should done by tomorrow)

-See Hint only if you click the button

-Swap windows from top to bottom to control either with the stylus.

-FREE! (Though if you want to send a garmin Colorado or Oregon my way I wouldn't refuse <_< )

A few known (but hopefully fixed soon) limitations.

- Only Geocaches for the moment. child waypoints can't be handled yet. After I add the logic for the parser to tell the difference this should be fixed.

- Scroll Bars in the windows are kinda screwy (dragging with the stylus works great though).

- Limited to about 200 waypoints - This is a hardware issue I believe, but I may try to optimize a bit more for

better efficiency.

- HTML in descriptions is not parsed so some of it looks really ugly. All the text is still there and readable, you just have to sift through the HTML tags to find it.

- I'm sure there are more.

How to get it:

Until I set up a project page somewhere, I will email it to anyone who wants it. Just send me a message here (don't forget to include your email address) and I'll send you the rom along with some more detailed instructions for use. *note you need a flash cart for use, has been tested on R4, should work on others*

A few things to note and give credit where it is due. This was coded up pretty quick and while I've done a good bit of testing I'm sure there are some bugs that need fixing. I can and will in no way be held responsible for any damage or resulting loss from use of this program. It is supplied free of charge and free of warranty, while I plan to develop it a bit more and get the bugs out I can't make any promises of bugfixes or support though I will do my best as time allows.

This was developed using the Woopsi library, a great tool for rapid application development on the DS. XML parsing is done with TinyXML. Compiled using the DevKitARM toolkit along with PALib. Filesystem access is via libFat. This whole thing is made possible by lots of work by lots of people providing great toolkits. Thanks to all of them.