Geocaching proposal

We're relatively new to geocaching but my boyfriend used it to create a very unique marriage proposal. He placed a cache and then had me find it (not knowing that he had placed it). Once I found it, there was a message to decode which asked me to marry him. Needless to say, I was very surprised.

Has anyone else used or heard of people using geocaching for things like this?

I did not propose that way, but I did hide a ring for my wife in a cache.

My wife is not a cacher, but will sometimes accompany me when looking for urban caches. She is not overly enthusiastic and will tolerate my hobby so long as it is not overly inconvenient or time consuming.

In any event, I'd gotten a particular ring for her and needed an interesting way to give it to her. I figured that if we found a cache with a ring in it, she might take more of more interest in caching.

Now she is disappointed whenever we find a cache without jewelry. :-)

I did it for valentine's day one year. I created a cache, painted an ammo can red with white hearts (kinda camo style). It was full of wonderful valentine's day swag. I did not publish it until she had found it on v-day.

The way I introduced it was a valentine's day card with nothing written in it except the coordinates and "have fun!"

It was fun. I hid it in a special place to us and published it the next day. It lasted a year or so but was eventually muggled.

DC

We're relatively new to geocaching but my boyfriend used it to create a very unique marriage proposal. He placed a cache and then had me find it (not knowing that he had placed it). Once I found it, there was a message to decode which asked me to marry him. Needless to say, I was very surprised.

So did you say "Yes", or what???

We have one like that here in NC. The owner has moved away, but the community maintains the cache.

There's also been a geowedding event or two.

Two young lovers with nothing better to do.... no wait that is it.

Two cachers invited the entire community to their wedding, it was officiated by a cacher, and I think the photographer was one of us too.

And you had to paddle to get there so it had a 5* terrain too.

I think fergus and nursedave also had geoevent weddings.

Has anyone else used or heard of people using geocaching for things like this?

Yes, and there are about six older threads devoted to the topic of proposal caches!

And, a couple of years ago, I would guess it was Fall of 2005 or 2006, my friend Greta and I were hunting some caches along the ID/WY border, and at one point we drove down a tiny dirt road, parked the car, and hiked about 200 yards pretty much straight up a steep mountainside meadow to a cache, located just below Victor, ID, called "Proposal Cache", and we discovered, once we reached the cache and read the material therein, that the story behind the cache was much the same as you told us: the cache owner had hidden the cache two years earlier as a creative way of proposing to his girlfriend!

Some caching friends of mine who met while geocaching, just had a geocaching wedding - yep they got married in camo, even her veil was a pale green! GC1CCGT

Anyways, I put their gift in an ammo box which was painted with their pathtag design and other caching pictures. I wrapped it in a black plastic bag with tons of duct tape and a duct tape bow and hid it in a large tree. I made a geocaching puzzle that they had to do to figure out the coordinates to find their gift. They were thrilled! We have another cache near hear called "will you marry me" a couple did what you are inquiring about - he wrapped her diamond ring in black tape and proposed to her at the tree where the cache is now. GC1GJP9 Very sweet! :)5a67eafb-6220-44ab-a1a7-2942a2e4bdae.jpg