Cashing Castrophies?

ganurse

Hey guys, my other passion (which I combine with caching) is pathtag design & trading. I use pathtags for signature items in caches and to do trades with others. I'm creating a new series 4-5 tags on Caching Castrophies (it's been done before but I wanted to expand on it)....things that would happen to you while caching (besides losing a signal, falling, DNFs, regular stuff). Looking for something totally unusual and I knew ya'll could come up with some interesting ideas!

How about caches that are muggled or have been stolen? Or have gotten all wet? I can imagine dripping log books. Or the rain and snow? <-- probably been done. Or 2 people fighting over a FTF cache!

Or, winching your jeep through a pile of mud then realizing after that you now have to cross a lake!

Or the coordinates take you to the top of a mountian or middle of a lake.

Sounds like a fun project!

Georgette

Hey guys, my other passion (which I combine with caching) is pathtag design & trading. I use pathtags for signature items in caches and to do trades with others. I'm creating a new series 4-5 tags on Caching Castrophies (it's been done before but I wanted to expand on it)....things that would happen to you while caching (besides losing a signal, falling, DNFs, regular stuff). Looking for something totally unusual and I knew ya'll could come up with some interesting ideas!

I am sending this post on the advice of the team of seventeen crackerjack psychotherapists, psychiatrists and licensed social workers who work with me for many hours per day to try to help me keep my behavior relatively sane, and to keep me from going back to the federal pen for the criminally insane for another twenty years. They suggested that it might be very good, and very therapeutic, to share with you all what is going on for me on an inner level right now. Here goes:

You see, I want to share with you that I am working very very very hard in trying to control myself and keep myself from sending a post playing on the title of this thread, which is "Cashing Castrophies?", and I am working very very very hard (and my therapists say that that I will get four silver stars on my forehead and an "A" in "Plays Well With Others" for this effort) to keep from making silly jokes about the word "Castrophies".

I am being a good boy today! I deserve lots of smileys! I am going to give myself lots of smileys! :blink::D:laughing::lol::P:D:D:D

:D:D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Well, guess this is not a catastrophe on a global level. but it nearly was on a personal one.... Heading for a couple of caches that the logs indicated were a long, tough hike in, so I wanted to drive as much of the way as possible. Found what I believed to be the right road, and although it looked pretty rough I managed to travel about 50 feet before I realized this was the entrance to a hiking trail. There was no possible way to turn the car around, and when I attempted to back out I realized (by the terrible screeching noise coming from the passenger side of the the car) that not only way there a visible boulder on the driver side (which I managed to avoid) but a hidden one on the other - don't know how I drove in without hitting it. I think I only had about two inches clearance on either side of the car, and for a while I was quite worried I wasn't going to be able to "thread the needle" to get back out.... and then what? Abandon my car, paint it camo, and hope no one noticed? Finally maneuvered it out and ended up with a bunch of dents and much less paint on one side of the car. The hike in to both caches was not bad at all..... ug. Learned my lesson (for awhile, anyway!)

Dropping reading glasses into a canal while leaning over to search for a micro under the dock. Then stripping down to underwear and swimming for them, much to the amusement of my wife, and some fishermen at a nearby boat ramp. "Castrophy" averted, though ... I got my glasses back! :)

EDIT: Oh yeah ... to make matters worse, we DNFd the cache!

BC

Edited by BC & MsKitty

:lol: How about taking a "shortcut" to a cache while the weather was minus 10 degrees at a public hunting ground? Surely the ground is frozen right? Drive a little farther in, save a few steps, easy. Yep, until my 2 week old car sinks up to the door frames in black muck. Had to call a 30 ton wrecker to pull me out. He says, "lady, what are you doing with your car in the hunting area?" I replied, "I am hiking," he took a drag off his cigar and said, "well you should be walking then..." yeah... :) Well at least he felt sorry for me and only charged me 90 bucks instead of 250.00, maybe my frozen tears helped. :(

Edited to add: I am not the only one who has had trouble with this black pit of muck, read on... GCYNN9

Edited by LDove

Read my log for "Wildwash Off-Roading..." (GC9D0C). Although only 1.7 miles from the interstate, it takes about 3-4 miles of pretty rough roads to get to it. No problem with my Jeep. But like a complete MORON, I lock my keys in my Jeep. My wife was out of town and my insurance company's road-side assistance sent some help in a big tow truck. By this time it is dark. This guy couldn't follow directions, gets lost and stuck in some soft sand. I walk from my jeep to his truck about a mile (in the dark, in the desert) to assist. Once he got unstuck, he left me alone out in the desert, in the dark, a mile from my Jeep, and two miles from the interstate. :ph34r:

My wife, (although out of state) calls a neighbor, tells him how to get in our house, find an extra set of keys and to meet me at the interstate. Although, I had my GPSr, it wasn't easy to navigate through sagebrush, creosote, rock formations and pockets of soft sand in the dark for two miles.

Once my friend met me at the interstate, (bear in mind he wouldn't be able to drive his little Honda most of the way), I still had to get back to my Jeep. I'm glad my GPSr has a back light, otherwise, I would have had to wait till morning to find my Jeep and miss work.

From finding the muggled cache, it tooks 5 hours (most in the dark) to get home.

The worst part of the whole ordeal was that my wife grounded me from geocaching. :anibad: But if you check my profile, I was back at it two days later. :laughing:

Heading for a couple of caches that the logs indicated were a long, tough hike in, so I wanted to drive as much of the way as possible. Found what I believed to be the right road, and although it looked pretty rough I managed to travel about 50 feet before I realized this was the entrance to a hiking trail.

Did that. Page 46 for the Maine DeLorme Challenge. Only one cache on the page. About four miles in on a dirt road. Well, the mapping programs brought us in on Salmon Brook Road. I think we made it in almost three miles, before we abandoned the hunt. That Salmon Brook Road hasn't been used for vehicular traffic in many a year! Fortunately we were able to turn around, and find the other Salmon Brook Road! Much better road!

Got poor Miss Oomphy stuck on a sand road in the Pine Barrens in South Jersey hunting an EarthCache. Fortunately some nice people came along and pushed us out. Not sure that AAA would have thought about four miles in on a sand road...

Yeah. Even locked the keys in the car, for the first time in forty years!

I'll rate my worst catastrophe as a couple of bouts with Lyme. Not pleasant.