Geo-Tagging

RichS1

I just got a Nikon D90 camera and it has a GPS port on it for Geo-Tagging. They are coming out with a small GPS to attach to the camera later this year but I want to attach my DeLorme PN-20. Nikon makes some cords for this purpose but they don't talk about it much so I was wondering if anyone has done this and did it work as advertised?

Thanks

Rich

I've used a program called Robogeo for a couple of years now. I'm very impressed. It compares the active track with the embedded exif date stamps and will then write the location info back into the jpeg file and/or text stamp the bottom of the jpeg. I use Google's Picasa photo organizer which recognizes the location data.

http://robogeo.com/home/

I use tracklogs and a program called gpicsync. Then it works with my camera, my wife's camera, and my friend's cameras.

Tutorial on gpicsync

Microsoft has a nice tool as well that will allow you to grab a .gpx log and add the location post facto and/or you can view their map and click a spot on the map and it will tag the photo that way. The software is called Microsoft Pro Photo Tools - it was a free download from their site. It allows you to edit a lot more detail on the photo, but I imagine picassa would do nearly the same thing.

I've used a program called Robogeo for a couple of years now. I'm very impressed. It compares the active track with the embedded exif date stamps and will then write the location info back into the jpeg file and/or text stamp the bottom of the jpeg. I use Google's Picasa photo organizer which recognizes the location data.

http://robogeo.com/home/

While this does have some extra bells and whistles, it doesn't have $40 worth of bells and whistles. I'll stick with the freeware.

For geotagging try GPicSync first. It is an easy program that works well and you will have it tagging for you in a few minutes.

GeoSetter has a lot of nice features but is more advanced and there are a lot of items to configure before using. I will be using it more in the future.

Claude's GPS2KML is worth using when he updates his free beta (the last one expired.)

Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools is not one I will continue to use because the above are easier to use and do more.

For tagging small numbers, or when you forget to bring your GPSr, use Picasa 3, which has a very easy to use tagging feature using Google Earth to mark the locations and save a KML file with your photos.

These programs are free downloads.