Woodland Camo 1.0

GPS_Runner

Nice paint job. :) They look like artwork.

I try to break up the rectangular shape of my ammo cans. Straight lines look abnormal in nature, and they make ammo cans easy to spot.

Notice the square bottom.

th_New-Camo-bottom.jpg

Broken edges.

th_New-Camo-Style.jpg

what is that "moss" and how did you attach it?

Jim

Nice paint job. :) They look like artwork.

I try to break up the rectangular shape of my ammo cans. Straight lines look abnormal in nature, and they make ammo cans easy to spot.

The moss sure brakes up the outline, but I always wonder how long it will stay attached in the weather, and with cachers handling it.

In the end, I don’t really care about making the can hard to spot. It's really more a pride in your cache thing. I just want people to find something nice. I also like getting rid of the military markings and labeling it "GEOCACHE" to reduce the chance of getting a bill from the bomb team!

Nice paint job!!!! :)

Did you use some stencial's for the leaves???

That's awesome!!!

Thanks! I went to flicker and searched for oak leaves. I copied them into Photoshop, turned them into gray scale, and upped the contrast to make them black/white. Then I printed them out in various sizes and cut them out with an exacto knife. I sprayed the paint through the hole in the paper to make the leaves.

Awesome paint job! The work you did with the leaves and layering really adds to the depth of field. Kudos!

Like Kit, I too prefer physical camo to 2 dimensional paint, as the human eye is naturally drawn to straight lines.

Bottom view:

CamoTutorialAmmoCan08012008_24.jpg

Top view:

CamoTutorialAmmoCan08132008_01.jpg

On my smaller Lock & Locks, I'll camo the sides with paint and just add the 3D to the lid:

CamoTutorialLockLock10092008_02.jpg

I always wonder how long it will stay attached in the weather, and with cachers handling it.

I have one of Clan Riffster's moss covered cans out - yes, the moss eventually breaks down to mere stubble - but the glue/broken moss surface is ragged, and catches dirt, so it continues to be very effective camo.

In the end, I don’t really care about making the can hard to spot. It's really more a pride in your cache thing. I just want people to find something nice.

They are lovely. A few years ago I found a number of beautifully painted cans by rnrgrl, the beauty of the paint work did improve the caching experience. A couple of them were also incredibly tough to see, just sitting on the ground; really dead on perfect color and texture match to the oak leaf litter.

I tend to camo mine to make them hard to spot (and eliminate the yellow markings, those will wipe off with laquer thinner by the way). The simplest way to do that is just hit them with a light over spray of flat black, then some diagonal bands in black, being sure to pass over the can edges. Oddly, the most effective camo for a deep woods hide is often to just paint the can flat black. Sitting on the ground in the shade under some light cover, that's about as camo'ed as you can get.