GPS choice

flimsey

Hi!

Im going to upgrade and buy a new GPS but im not sure what model.

I think it will be a garmin.

the choice is betwen 60csx, vista Hcx, and oregon 300/400

questions:

1. Witch of them is the best for cashing, entering and changing info?

2. Witch of them has the best performance, most exact and how do they work in forrest or betwen high buildings

3. Is Oregon worth the extra money?

4. how do they work as a car GPS?

flimsey

I just went through the exact same questions that you did. I initially wanted the latest and greatest (Oregon) as I wanted the touch screen and to be able to go paperless. But, it's pricey, and it also seems they are still too buggy yet. I never once considered the Colorado as it has it's own share of problems.

I then settled on the 60Csx or the Vista Hcx. Software-wise, they appear to be the same. But the Csx has a different type of antenna, which is supposedly better under tree cover, etc. than the Vista. Almost bought the Vista (maybe should have, but then REI came out with a 60Csx bundle sale this past weekend. So I bought it on the spot.

I've been using the 60Csx in the car too. While it's Ok, the screen is pretty small, and it doesn't speak street names, or announce the turns. The turns are displayed on the screen, which takes even more screen real estate IMO. Plus, hooking it up to the car cable and snapping it in/out of the RAM mount every time is a pain also. I think an entry-level Nuvi would probably be better for the car, and just keep the handheld for caching.

Also, with either the 60Csx or the Vista Hcx, if you want to do auto-routing, you'll need the City Navigator software which is another $80. My 60Csx came with Topo 2008, so it's nice for the off-road detail to show streams, some trails, etc. But Topo 2008 doesn't have all the roads, and it won't do auto routing either.

One other thing to think of, the Delorme PN-40 is now being pre-ordered. It has the capability to add aerial imagery (for a $30 yearly fee, you have unlimited download of images). I use the Google Maps satellite view all the time for everything, so having that ability out in the field might be very useful. Granted, I'm very new to geocaching (only 12 finds so far), but being able to see an aerial image of the cache site would be very helpful I think.

I have had a chance to use both the 60 CSx and the Vista HCx. I have not noticed a real difference between the two under the trees. Both use the same software/map chips. I like the one hand opperation of the eTrax group but the screen size of the 60 series is great. What did I pick? I got the Vista HCx. I got the bundle setup with the TOPO 2008 CD ROM and a 1 GB chip and I'm set.

As for the Oregon or the Colorado, I've played with those too and, IMO, they're not yet worth the extra $$$.

Kev

Hi!

Im going to upgrade and buy a new GPS but im not sure what model.

I think it will be a garmin.

the choice is betwen 60csx, vista Hcx, and oregon 300/400

questions:

2. Witch of them has the best performance, most exact and how do they work in forrest or betwen high buildings

flimsey

Edited by KevLinc

Thanx for the answers

im now cashing with a old Magellan Meridian platinum, and im relativly open terrain its spot on target allmost everytime, except witle in tall forests and sourounden by high buildings, problem is that its a little sluggish and sometime lose conection.

And its pretty big to carry it around (60CSx is just little smaller), hard to sneakaround with it :)

i usaly dont bring alot of paper with me, just cordinates, size, and hint (use to be enough) but sometimes it would be good to have pictures and aditional info.

So do annyone know how much they differ in performance?

questions:

I've owned a 60csx and now have an oregon.

1.) Oregon By far

2.) 60csx is at least if not a tiny bit better in GPS performance.

3.) Yes

4.) Both the 60csx and the oregon work ok as a car gps. The beep notification for turns is not the greatest. The oregon has quite a bit of edge on the 60csx because it's easier to enter names. Also the Oregon has a "Automotive" view which makes the map look like the Nuvi with a birdseye 3d view.

If you can swing the extra money get the oregon.

Based on what I have been told and what I have read, right now more than likely an Oregon would give you the most headaches due to being new and not all the bugs are worked out yet.

As far as performance as in leading you up to a cache, they are all pretty much equal. they all have the high sensitivity chip in them.

You can load maps in them to do the turn by turn, but they are sorta pricey.

My best suggestion is to go to the garmin website and do a side by side comparison of the units. Of course, the latest and greatest gpsr out there are going to have more written about their features.

If you are wanting to get a gpsr that leads you right up to the cache with INCHES, then save up your pennies because those type cost thousands.

Basically, the ones you have listed have more bells and whistles.

As for me, I will carry a piece of paper with the info on it and save myself about $250