Wanted to Say Thanks for the Help

vwaldoguy

I wanted to pass along some info about my first real geocaching trip with all the gear. This forum has been a huge help, and I truly believe that I've got a rock-solid setup because of the great contributions here. I finally settled on a Garmin 60Csx GPSr, coupled with GSAK, Cachmate and an old Palm m125 that I had lying in a closet, along with a premium geocaching.com membership, and a combination of Topo 2008/CN 2009 maps. My first trip out allowed me to bag 5 out of 5 caches, so all in all, the entire setup worked flawlessly.

Paperless caching worked quite well. I loaded nearby caches via pocket queries into GSAK, exported them as waypoints to the GPSr, then exported a matching set of entries as a PDB database to Cachemate. By using the caches as waypoints (instead of custom POIs), I was able to use the geocaching 'found' feature of the 60Csx, which then adds them to the calendar GUI so I know which ones were completed out in the field. Added logs to GSAK when I got back home, then uploaded the logs to the geocaching.com website directly from GSAK. Slick!

It all was very easy. Two weeks ago, this was all a blur, but by lurking around and reading old posts, it all makes sense now. Thanks again for all the great help. This forum is a huge asset! Here's to many more successful caching adventures!

Van

Edited by vwaldoguy