Release notes

Team Sieni

I've had a quick look and can't yet find anything new. Judging by the responses I'm guessing the IP lookup function has been removed temporarily.

However, and this is a serious question, can we assume a softening of the "commercial" guidelines now? I see this is now being implemented:

The following features have been added in today's update:

<snip>

* Hotels - Every cache page (US and Canada for now) now contains a link to nearby hotels, allowing you to browse rates and availability for specific locations

The implication is that it will be rolled out around the world once the US and Canada listings have been debugged. It would seem that linking to various commercial organisations could now be permitted on cache listings. If this provides useful background information for Geocachers then I'm all for it.

If Groundspeak are now taking paid links to hotel booking pages, does that mean they'll not be needing our premium member subscription money?. Will the premium member features become free on the back of this extra income ?

Personally I can't see the benefit to having links to hotels on the cache pages, there are dozens of websites that do this for you already. I read the cache page to find out about the cache and to find nearby caches. If I want to book a holiday I'll go elsewhere.

What next ? Cinema tickets, Bus timetables, Houses for sale ?

Its supposed to be a geocaching website, new features are much appreciated but keep them on topic !

Edited by Paul & Ros

I've had a quick look and can't yet find anything new. Judging by the responses I'm guessing the IP lookup function has been removed temporarily.

However, and this is a serious question, can we assume a softening of the "commercial" guidelines now? I see this is now being implemented:

The following features have been added in today's update:

<snip>

* Hotels - Every cache page (US and Canada for now) now contains a link to nearby hotels, allowing you to browse rates and availability for specific locations

The implication is that it will be rolled out around the world once the US and Canada listings have been debugged. It would seem that linking to various commercial organisations could now be permitted on cache listings. If this provides useful background information for Geocachers then I'm all for it.

They will probably get tighter on enforcing commercial links.

If they take money off "Group A" hotels, do GS (or "Group A" hotels) really want "Group B" hotels being shown on the same page?

eg If they paid to advetise on here, would Garmin really want Magelan ads on the same page?

Quite the contrary, I would imagine (just my opinion). The purpose of the commercial guidelines is (I have always thought) to prevent organisations using GS to provide free ads; if there is advertising to be done via GS pages, GS naturally want to benefit from it. So if they are bringing this kind of advertising on stream then if anything they may want to make extra sure no one else is grabbing commercial benefit from the GS website for free.

I think it's up and working. Although it's showing somewhere about 100 miles from where I'm sitting, it's spot on for the datacentre through which my employer contacts the internet.

Edited by OldNickCov

I think it's up and working. Although it's showing somewhere about 100 miles from where I'm sitting, it's spot on for the datacentre through which my employer contacts the internet.

Where is it? I've had a look on some cache pages and on the search page and I can't see it. :laughing: (Must be old age is getting to me :blink: )

Where is it? I've had a look on some cache pages and on the search page and I can't see it. :laughing: (Must be old age is getting to me :blink: )

The home page.

Now I'm in a library in Shifnal, an it's showing me as being on the South Bank!

Where is it? I've had a look on some cache pages and on the search page and I can't see it. :blink: (Must be old age is getting to me :) )

The home page.

Now I'm in a library in Shifnal, an it's showing me as being on the South Bank!

Well. at least you're in a safe place. I am in Binfield, Bracknell, and they have me in the middle of the man Reading to Basingstoke railway line! :laughing:

We don't care either as we know our local caches.

Imagine though, if you stumble onto the geocaching page for the first time and read a little bit about it - the map gives the curiosity and interest to the newbie - they'll be thinking - "there's one of these geocache things there? But I pass that everyday! Otherwise if you're a newbie it can be a search round the site to see where your nearest caches are.

We don't care either as we know our local caches.

Imagine though, if you stumble onto the geocaching page for the first time and read a little bit about it - the map gives the curiosity and interest to the newbie - they'll be thinking - "there's one of these geocache things there? But I pass that everyday! Otherwise if you're a newbie it can be a search round the site to see where your nearest caches are.

If they get the location right - which they don't. I tend to agree with the other comments.

IP "addresses" are worthless. Geographically they don't show your location at all - they are associated more with the location of your ISP or perhaps the last "hop" as content is delivered via your phone link. Satellite based IP addresses are even worse....

I live in the north of Scotland, but my ISP - Tiscali - is in Milton Keynes, or Amsterdam, or near Harrogate......depending on which Whois IP locator I look at.

Is it going to be any better than this?

I'm confused :) .

What's all this talk about ISP addresses. Surely everything works from the coordinates it has for the cache, your home location etc, nothing to do with ISP addresses?

:P

I just tried the hotel finder on my currently one and only cache and it was spot on for the local places.

Have tried it without logging in first and it gives caches in the west of Las Vwgas, which again is correct.

I don't believe this is connected with the ISP details since I am doing a distance learning course on line and the website includes monitoring how often I log on in the students statistics.

If I log on to the course at work (well one has to sometimes :) ) it gives the location of the ISP as Las Vegas, but using my home ISP as I was just doing while exploring this topic, I know it always shows my ISP as being in Melbourne Australia.

So all you knowledgeable types work that one out!

Edited by careygang

I'm confused :) .

What's all this talk about ISP addresses. Surely everything works from the coordinates it has for the cache, your home location etc, nothing to do with ISP addresses?

:P

I just tried the hotel finder on my currently one and only cache and it was spot on for the local places.

Have tried it without logging in first and it gives caches in the west of Las Vwgas, which again is correct.

I don't believe this is connected with the ISP details since I am doing a distance learning course on line and the website includes monitoring how often I log on in the students statistics.

If I log on to the course at work (well one has to sometimes :) ) it gives the location of the ISP as Las Vegas, but using my home ISP as I was just doing while exploring this topic, I know it always shows my ISP as being in Melbourne Australia.

So all you knowledgeable types work that one out!

I guess the reason for going with ISPs is that if you're a newcomer who may be thinking about opening an account, you don't have any home coordinates!

IP "addresses" are worthless. Geographically they don't show your location at all - they are associated more with the location of your ISP or perhaps the last "hop" as content is delivered via your phone link. Satellite based IP addresses are even worse....

I live in the north of Scotland, but my ISP - Tiscali - is in Milton Keynes, or Amsterdam, or near Harrogate......depending on which Whois IP locator I look at.

Is it going to be any better than this?

I originally thought this too, but then I saw how accuratly that Google's IP geolocation service got mine..

(http://code.google.com/apis/gears/samples/hello_world_geolocation.html)

I originally thought this too, but then I saw how accuratly that Google's IP geolocation service got mine..

(http://code.google.com/apis/gears/samples/hello_world_geolocation.html)

Mine gives:

Gears Geolocation Demo

View Demo Source

Your address is: Lambeth, Greater London, United Kingdom (51.5, -0.117)

This page demonstrates basic usage of the Geolocation API.

I'm in Devon and my ISP is in Sheffield though.... that seems to be complete pants too as it seems to have picked up somewhere else :D

Mine gives:

Gears Geolocation Demo

View Demo Source

Your address is: Lambeth, Greater London, United Kingdom (51.5, -0.117)

This page demonstrates basic usage of the Geolocation API.

Exactly the same for me and I'm in Hampshire although my ISP is in Surrey so I don't know where Lambeth comes into it. A touch of the "Chocolate Teapots" methinks. :D