How did this get approved?

ZeMartelo

Hi,

I was looking thru the list of new caches created in my area and came across a list of caches with a similar name.

Opened up google cache map to look at it and it surprised me.

Check it out with google map with coordinates N 45° 50.048 W 064° 52.969

Look at the trail of caches that were created all by the same person.

Theres like around 50 of them in a distance of about 15 kms or so.

This seems exaggerated to me.

All this proliferation of caches hinders my excitement about going out for caches as it seems they are all over the place now and becomes less of a novelty.

I guess my point is that there was no need for these many caches in such small area.

Opinions on this?

Edited by ZeMartelo

Where the cache's published at the same time or over a period of time? I would think submitting that many at once a reviewer would envoke the power trail guideline, but if this was done over a period of a year or something than, I would say that, that just happens.

It looks like they where hid about a dozen or so at a time. So I would think the reviewer would have envoked power trail and not allowed them to be published. But since a user can change the date hide I don't know for sure. :laughing:

The one thing that impressed me is most are regular sized containers. :blink: Somebody did some serious lugging around some bigger containers!!!

That's the one part about the power trail guideline I don't fully understand. What if a power trail form's over a period of time? I think they are just out to stop people from placing a cache every 550 feet in high quanties to form a power trail at one time. But a power trail can form from a bunch of people placing caches say along a bike trail but one at a time over months. That would still turn out to be a power trail but it would fall into the power trail guideline. But when they are placed over time this would give someone a chance to work a muti in so they don't all end up as traditional's.

edited for some grammer corrections

Edited by Parabola

Where the cache's published at the same time or over a period of time? I would think submitting that many at once a reviewer would envoke the power trail guideline, but if this was done over a period of a year or something than, I would say that, that just happens.

The caches were just set up. I did a search for new caches in my area/

I agree. I personally would like a few muti's on it as well. But I'm not seeing how they got by the power trail guideline. I know near me a cache submitted a series of 4 caches along a trail and they where denied due to the powertrail guideline. They where able to go to the higher powers and go it all approved, but somewhere in there has to be a cut off.

From what I see is most of those caches where placed in the past month. And the majority is by one owner. I would think this would violate the power trail guideline. But I guess a reviewer or a mod could try and clarify what really constitutes a powertrail and I assume the guideline varies by reviewer and what the are is like.

Clarifying what the guideline is would help alot.

I'm not aware of any kind of "Power Trail" Guidelines, but I'm sure someone from GSP will enlighten us.

As for the cache placement... Well, if they fit the rules, then they can be there. You're not obligated to get any of them. The Ignore list was made for that, too.

Could a set of caches like these one be uninteresting? Maybe for some. Others will have a a great time.

IMHO, there's room of almost everything.

edit: spelling

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

The listing guideline at issue is part of the Cache Saturation Guideline, which means more than "keep caches 528 feet/161 metres apart:"

... [D]on't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches (sometimes called a "Power Trail"), the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together. A series of caches that are generally intended to be found as a group are good candidates for submission as a single multicache.
...."Power Trail"), the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache.....

Bold emphasis mine; >conversely, the reviewer may not require creation of a multi-cache.....

My hunch is that it is only enforced when there is a park/area that is sensitive to having too many caches. Since it's a pain to list all those parks/areas, they leave it up to the reviewers to manage cache density in those parks/areas.

...Opinions on this?

The cache is fine. The reviewer who approved it did fine. You are becoming jaded. You may want to consider taking a break and renewing your faith in the world.

I agree. If you don't care for the cache density, then you can visit every third cache, and run the trail three times to pick them all up. Or just do one at a time. I see no problem here.

--Marky

All this proliferation of caches hinders my excitement about going out for caches as it seems they are all over the place now and becomes less of a novelty.

If the abundance of caches isn't your style, you could just not do them. Or, if you'd still like to hike the trail, you can just find every 4th cache and skip the others in between. That would be about 1 find every .75 miles.

I guess my point is that there was no need for these many caches in such small area.

If they were within the guidelines and approved, I know a lot of people that would enjoy finding caches like that.

Sounds fun to me.

I will be doing this 23 mile, 170 cache run when the PI dissipates a bit.

lotsocaches.jpg

WOW! Now if that's a bike trail, sign me up. I love to hit close proximity caches along bike routes! The last time I did it it was raining like crazy and i rode my bike through a 2 foot deep (by about 20 feet long) washout. I really don't see a major issue with trails so long as the trail in question can handle the burdon.

875e7f33-ac90-4374-afee-027420dc194b.jpg

I dont want to give the wrong idea.

I am just saying that this many caches is exaggerated imo not that they shouldnt be set up or that theres something wrong with it.

I started geocaching a few weeks ago not knowing much about it, only that there were a few places where there was a cache for people to find.

Fast forward couple weeks and I now know that theres approx 3000 caches in a radius of 100km's of my place and that took away the adventure bit of it.

Thats all I am saying.

With so many caches around I am trying to determine what kind of caches I am going to focus because I cant go after all of them.

I cant make this my full time job unfortunately. :laughing:

I started geocaching a few weeks ago not knowing much about it, only that there were a few places where there was a cache for people to find.

Fast forward couple weeks and I now know that theres approx 3000 caches in a radius of 100km's of my place and that took away the adventure bit of it.

As more and get involved in the hobby, it's only natural that more and more caches will be placed. Back in the early days of caching, one had to drive miles between caches. A "numbers run" back then involved 100 miles of driving and a whopping 12 finds. Now, within 100km's of my house there are over 6500 caches. That's low compared to some really cache-dense areas.

With so many caches around I am trying to determine what kind of caches I am going to focus because I cant go after all of them.

I cant make this my full time job unfortunately. :)

As much as I wish I could cache full time, I too have to work. Because you are a premium member, you have the ability to run Pocket Queries, which is a good way to sort out and look for the caches you want to find. You can use Geocaching Maps to search for an area you might like to visit and then run a PQ around that area, eliminating the types of hides you're not interested in. Plus, if you think you'd rather stick to the woods, you can pretty much eliminate 1 terrain caches as they're not wheelchair accessible and most likely not in the woods. The only downside is that you may not grab some of the older caches that were hidden before ratings were implemented.

Hi,

I was looking thru the list of new caches created in my area and came across a list of caches with a similar name.

Opened up google cache map to look at it and it surprised me.

Check it out with google map with coordinates N 45° 50.048 W 064° 52.969

Look at the trail of caches that were created all by the same person.

Theres like around 50 of them in a distance of about 15 kms or so.

This seems exaggerated to me.

Opinions on this?

I can't help but wonder about the extent of your experience to make such a bold statement. It feels like a hidden agenda. Like you were maybe looking to hide a cache there and found you might run afoul of the saturation guidelines so you cry foul. But that's just my perception when I connect the dots.

Hey, I know what you mean. Wait until you have been around five years and see what cache saturation does to your enthusiasm. :)

I'm taking the same approach as you. There are so many there is no way I can find them all so I'll do some planning before heading out and pick and choose the ones I think will interest me the most and let the rest sit.

I can't help but wonder about the extent of your experience to make such a bold statement. It feels like a hidden agenda. Like you were maybe looking to hide a cache there and found you might run afoul of the saturation guidelines so you cry foul. But that's just my perception when I connect the dots.

:)

No, I dont have any plans to set up any caches anytime soon in this area.

I think there are already too many. :)

My hidden agenda was that I wanted to find them all and these extra 50 caches ruins all my plans of world domination. :P

Opinions on this?

I never ever understand why people use the word "need" in this context.

Is there ever a need for any cache, anywhere? No. Caching is a fun pastime. "Need" is irrelevant, and shouldn't be part of the reviewing/publishing decision process -- it's too much like the completely subjective "Wow factor" of virtuals. Once they start prohibiting any cache for which there is no "need", then no more caches will be published, ever.

I'm not aware of any kind of "Power Trail" Guidelines, but I'm sure someone from GSP will enlighten us.

As for the cache placement... Well, if they fit the rules, then they can be there. You're not obligated to get any of them. The Ignore list was made for that, too.

Could a set of caches like these one be uninteresting? Maybe for some. Others will have a a great time.

IMHO, there's room of almost everything.

edit: spelling

I never said they wouldn't be fun to hunt, I just said I'm surprised that the reviewer didn't claim power trail and refused to publish them all.

I think Keystone pointed out the power trail guideline. I know in my area a number of people trying to place a bunch on one trail at a single time have been refused. But again my area could be different than what this area is like.

I think the power trail guideline varies by reviewer and the area some.

Really I'm impressed that the majority of them aren't micro's (Not saying micro's are bad, just easier to carry in and hide). I think that awesome someone carried in and set up that many regular sized caches and if I lived never this trail I would go and check it out.

I've done caches along two "power trails". One trail I enjoyed alot and the other I didn't. It was all about how the hides where done. The one I had alot of fun on had a great mix of containers and kinds of hides but the other was basically the same type of container and hide over and over again. After 10 it got a bit old.

Definition of irony: the same volunteer cache reviewer was the target of a rather heated flame thread awhile back because he was too strict in applying the power trail guideline. :)

That's is kind of funny. :P

I don't think he is wrong by publishing them as they do meet the guidelines, just I think the power trail guideline is more of a judgement call and for whatever the reason the reviewer didn't see the need to say they violate the PT guideline. Which that judgement could (should) be basied on what the area is like, how many caches are around, how many active cachers live in the area. He's the local reviewer so he's gonna be much more familar with the local laws and policy's concerning cache placement.

In my area there's no way our reviewer would let that all be published (not a attack on my area's reviewer, he does a really good job). I could see him letting a few in then waiting some time and then a few more and so on, giving others a chance to place and the cache owner that has tried to list in the first place to place a multi.

:)

No, I dont have any plans to set up any caches anytime soon in this area.

I think there are already too many. :)

My hidden agenda was that I wanted to find them all and these extra 50 caches ruins all my plans of world domination. :P

Then you're focusing on the wrong reason for caching. Focus on the ones that you believe will give you fun or an adventure. Learn that now and you won't experience burnout or angst or even boredom for chasing after the ones that make you yawn or wonder why they were placed there in the first place.

When I started, this state had 7,000 caches. We have pushed over 13,000 active caches since then. As the game gains more attention, it will become more popular and there will be more mundane caches. That being said, there will be some real jewels to chase and these give me the means to the end.

Are these micros (very small containers, like Bison Tubes)? We call that "Micro Spew". It is as if some one drove down the road with a bucket full of bison tubes and threw one out of the window every .1 miles...

Near my home town, Austin, Texas, there is a series like this that I think is OK because of the severity of the road you have to travel to get to them all (4x4 required for a lot of creek crossings with no bridges!).

Cheers

Wow, that's impressive!

94b8c1c0-f335-4260-aebe-d528de14c8e0.jpg

That's not a power trail and the emperor is wearing a robe! :blink:

Are these micros (very small containers, like Bison Tubes)? We call that "Micro Spew". It is as if some one drove down the road with a bucket full of bison tubes and threw one out of the window every .1 miles...

Near my home town, Austin, Texas, there is a series like this that I think is OK because of the severity of the road you have to travel to get to them all (4x4 required for a lot of creek crossings with no bridges!).

Cheers

Wow, that's impressive!

94b8c1c0-f335-4260-aebe-d528de14c8e0.jpg

That's not a power trail and the emperor is wearing a robe! :blink:

No most of them that I looked at are regular sized.

If they were all regular size (or at least a variety) then we'd love such a Power Trail. However, hopefully they aren't all the "same". We had a case here that is 50 caches spewed out over a 10 mile radius that were all exactly the same, all hidden in exactly the same fashion. After you find 3 or so, you pretty much know the theme. Good for the numbers but gets pretty boring.

I started geocaching a few weeks ago

I cant go after all of them.

I cant make this my full time job unfortunately. :)

Blasphemy! You have so much to learn! You just haven't assimilated yet. Give it time. You WILL want them all some day. :lol:

On a serious note, take your time and get them when you can. nobody sets a time line to get them all and really you will never get all the caches...EVER. I like the idea of a power trial. We have a bike path trail near us that has about 35 caches on it but its about 10-15 miles long and I don't have a bike! We have scouted out some parking places to be able to hike sections to get them though! :(

Sounds fun to me.

lotsocaches.jpg

I am going there one day! Looks good to us! :)

Well, where is it? And what does PI mean?

It's in Texas and PI is Poison Ivy.

Well, I assumed Texas because the original poster is from Texas, but where in Texas exactly? It looks like it might be a fun caching trip, poison ivy or not.

Sounds fun to me.

lotsocaches.jpg

I am going there one day! Looks good to us! :D

Well, where is it? And what does PI mean?

It's in Texas and PI is Poison Ivy.

Well, I assumed Texas because the original poster is from Texas, but where in Texas exactly? It looks like it might be a fun caching trip, poison ivy or not.

I get to Texas once every month or so and meet up with a few caches... would love to know where this is!, might be fun just for the "I DID X# in 3 hours" bar talk. can ya give us just one waypoint?

Definition of irony: the same volunteer cache reviewer was the target of a rather heated flame thread awhile back because he was too strict in applying the power trail guideline. :)

Hate when that happens! :D

Yes, very unfortunate. :laughing: I'd go with borderline power trail here, but I am not, nor do I have aspirations of becoming a reviewer. In American units, none seem to be closer than .2 miles. Many of them sound pretty good, actually. Woohoo, road trip to New Brunswick!

Hehehe. Being a volunteer reviewer is like being the Chief Security Officer for an organization -- having everyone mad at you is a sign that you are doing your job properly. :D

Hehehe. Being a volunteer reviewer is like being the Chief Security Officer for an organization -- having everyone mad at you is a sign that you are doing your job properly. :D

All we can do is tell them every once in a while that they really do a great job in keeping us all in line. They do so much for us and most of the time we just complain.

Thanks to all you reviewers, mod's and Lackey's!!!!! You guys and gals put up with alot and give away so much time for our game. You are all so under appreciated!!!! :laughing: Keep up the great work!!!