Pocket Queries won't run

sprig68

I can tell you something that is wrong, my regular Friday PQ got here today and it was stamped 4:13AM. That is not true, I've been checking my email often (I was online - checking my GC account and my email from 4:00AM till 4:45AM) and this only got here, plus the check mark in my account didn't become "UN-checked" until sometime between 8:10AM and 9:00AM. The clock on the server is off or something is back dating the PQs. I would believe the email clock is off *maybe* except I've been watching both.

How about checking the time and date on the server just for kicks.

I can tell you something that is wrong, my regular Friday PQ got here today and it was stamped 4:13AM. That is not true, I've been checking my email often (I was online - checking my GC account and my email from 4:00AM till 4:45AM) and this only got here, plus the check mark in my account didn't become "UN-checked" until sometime between 8:10AM and 9:00AM. The clock on the server is off or something is back dating the PQs. I would believe the email clock is off *maybe* except I've been watching both.

How about checking the time and date on the server just for kicks.

What time zone are you in?

I created two new pocket queries yesterday for a trip I have planned next week. Neither one ran. I unclicked "Friday" and clicked "Saturday" on them this morning, and they still haven't run. I clicked to run an older existing PQ, and it ran within 15 minutes or so. There's definitely seems to be an issue with new PQ's.

Of course, the existing PQ that ran was only 32 caches. The new ones I created are 500 caches each. :)

Edited by HoustonControl

Mine ran this morning within 3 minutes of me checking the check box.

Can you run one for me. LOL!!!

Mine still have not come in from 7am this morning, and I have resorted to going to nearest caches I haven't found, and clicking the box at the bottom of the page of 20 caches opening that into GSAK, and at least downloading the cords into the GPS. I have no cache write ups, but at least I have cords in the GPS. :) Hey its better than nothing...

I am growing impatient like the rest of the group... buuuuuuuut... life goes on. :) Nothing to get my panties in a knot about.

I am sorry to the folks that have traveled so far to be stuck on the road with limited powers. I feel for ya!! :P

Well, the darnedest thing. I changed my PQ to run every day of the week just to see if it came through some time. I then decided to copy it 7 times and set each of the copies to run on a different day of the week. Just the instant I clicked the Sat box, that one ran! and I got the e-mail almost instantly! So there is something to try! Good luck all, I'm finally off to cache after a 30 hour delay!

I created two new pocket queries yesterday for a trip I have planned next week. Neither one ran. I unclicked "Friday" and clicked "Saturday" on them this morning, and they still haven't run. I clicked to run an older existing PQ, and it ran within 15 minutes or so. There's definitely seems to be an issue with new PQ's.

Of course, the existing PQ that ran was only 32 caches. The new ones I created are 500 caches each. :)

It's new ones - numbers don't seem to matter. One of the ones that ran is 500, one of the ones not running is 12. :P

am in the UK and had same log jam problem as everyone else

I just zapped all my o/s Pq's and started again.

I sent off for two

They came through straight away

It is 1645hrs GMT here now

Mike

Ditto here. Deleted and recreated a PQ and everything ran fine. Looks like they fixed whatever was happening, but you gotta recreate to kick it back in.

Had the same PQ issues as everyone else, even created one early this morning and it never ran. After reading some of the comments I delete this PQ, recreated it and ran it again. Three minutes later I have the PQ. These things happen, but it would be nice to hear from the Groundspeak crew on what the problem was. I know there are posts saying that the server was running fine and we should get them eventually, but if you create PQ earlier today and it doesn't run and then you re-create it and have it three minutes later that answer doesn't seem to fit. It would just be nice to hear what the problem was, honesty is the best policy and I don't think there would have been as many angry cachers if it was presented this way.

Just tried it myself and I can also confirm that a new query ran straight away (even though the previous query I had tried to run was also brand new). So perhaps the initial problem is now cleared and it's now just a scheduling problem?

Same issues here ... PQs from Friday never ran and nothing from my Saturday requests.

If this were one of the contracts I manage there would be a Breach of Contract issues filed as this is one of the things we specifically pay for under the premium membership fees.

here's a new problem: i unclicked everything. modified them all in hopes of fixing the problem. now nothing has been clicked to send after i have done this. i go to click on one to send it and i get this:

Sorry. You have exceeded the maximum limit of 5 queries per day for Saturday

Now what is odd is that nothing has been sent in 4 days nor is there anything in my mailbox. now what is happening?

Edited by Mindless-Focus

Ok, since Groundspeak hasn't seemed to get or acknowledge this failure, I'll list my test results and conclusions.

Apparently sometime Wednesday the system started failing by corrupting any new pocket query record so that it wasn't seen by the pocket query generator. It continued with the failure until sometime late Friday or some time on Saturday. After that time new pocket query records returned to not be corrupted as they were entered. Any new pocket query record created during that time period never ran and will never run. I archived all never run pocket query records today to get them out of my pocket query list and to get them out of my todays count. Everyone else should delete theirs as well so that they don't get confused, there is no marker shown to indicate when the record was created.

I then created new pocket queries today, after I noticed that new ones were now running, to replace all of those that I deleted. I was able to get 5 newly entered pocket queries to run today. To play it safe, I also deleted my Sunday queries and entered new replacement ones. I didn't want to spend the time to prove that they wouldn't run either.

So, my conclusion is that a Groundspeak lackey should do a dump of some of the database records from that time period and compare them to normal ones to determine if there is a problem that could re-occur. The evidence from the database record would show that they are overlooking some condition in the code that can cause corruption. The evidence of what is happening from this forum thread should be enough to indicate that this should be looked into. Let me know if you need help.

Gary

Nudecacher

Edited by Nudecacher

And no response yet from the PTB... :blink:

Prior posts from Groundspeak lackeys in this thread demonstrate otherwise.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm leaving now for a three-day roadtrip and I'm missing two scheduled queries from Friday, as well as the copies I created to run today.

Yes there were two posts from Raine, but one was asking if it was Regular PQ's or Route PQ's. The other one was saying that they were aware of the problem and that the PQ generator was running at full steam, and not to worry you will get your PQ's.

If they are the posts you are talking about, how does that help or answer the many Premium Members questions. To me those posts where not a response about the issue!!!!!

And I am still having problems with PQ's, so the problem is not fixed in my opinion. And I am still hearing the same from others, as well as hearing some are now getting their PQ's.

Now how about it Groundspeak? What is going on?

Recap of prior questions that have not been answered.

Groundspeak, at what time and date will this issue be fixed?

How long should we have to wait for a PQ after we submit it?

If we submit the PQ on a lets say Thursday but we do not get it until after Friday (PST), why do we lose a PQ for Friday since the request went out on Thurday?

And yes Motorcycle Mama, I agree that Raine did answer that he was aware of the problem. There just has not been any reply or post to what is being done to fix the problem, when will the problem be fixed, etc.

It is fine that he acknowledged the problem, but there should be more coming from Groundspeak on this issue. Especially since we pay for this feature.

Why do people keep posting that Groundspeak has failed to acknowledge this problem when Raine posted twice on the first page of this thread?

Yes, we're aware of the issue. The PQ generator is running full steam, just has a ton of PQ's left to generate. Don't worry, you'll get them.

-Raine

Raine's posts tend to indicate that he believes that the only problem is based on excessive volume, while my tests show that that may be the case, but that there is another bug in the system which may or may not be triggered by a flaw based on that excessive volume. The "... PQ generator is running full steam..." statement has nothing to do with the fact that a huge block of pocket queries were permanently dropped from the queues. There has been no statement linking their volume observation with the failures reported in this thread. Raine's statement that we will get the PQ's is observably false, or at least needs more explanation. I personally lost a days worth of pocket queries, as did many others. Some of them incurred real costs from the lose.

Nudecacher

Edited by Nudecacher

Just tried it myself and I can also confirm that a new query ran straight away (even though the previous query I had tried to run was also brand new). So perhaps the initial problem is now cleared and it's now just a scheduling problem?

New Query's take priority, so they will instantly hop to the top of the list to run when submitted. If you have a PQ that you want and it's been a while and it still hasn't ran, then go to your list of PQ's. Look for copy PQ. Make a copy of the PQ you want and then that will pop up on your list of PQ's. Hit today's date and you'll have that PQ sent to you very quickly. This works about 98% of the time. This make the copy of the PQ you want and since it's never been ran or submitted before it will hop to the top of the list.

I had one the other day that just wouldn't go and I set it for that day the day before. I finally was getting down to time to leave and still didn't have my PQ. So I did this and had the PQ in less than a minute.

New Query's take priority, so they will instantly hop to the top of the list to run when submitted. If you have a PQ that you want and it's been a while and it still hasn't ran, then go to your list of PQ's. Look for copy PQ. Make a copy of the PQ you want and then that will pop up on your list of PQ's. Hit today's date and you'll have that PQ sent to you very quickly. This works about 98% of the time. This make the copy of the PQ you want and since it's never been ran or submitted before it will hop to the top of the list.

I had one the other day that just wouldn't go and I set it for that day the day before. I finally was getting down to time to leave and still didn't have my PQ. So I did this and had the PQ in less than a minute.

I don't know if people realize, but until they delete the toxic pocket queries that are failing to run and insert completely new ones they will continue to have the problem. There is something in the range of queries created between Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning that causes them to NEVER be queued in the query processor. This is what the evidence says so far, and we won't know differently until Groundspeak gives us an explaination.

Nudecacher

I don't know if people realize, but until they delete the toxic pocket queries that are failing to run and insert completely new ones they will continue to have the problem. There is something in the range of queries created between Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning that causes them to NEVER be queued in the query processor. This is what the evidence says so far, and we won't know differently until Groundspeak gives us an explaination.

Nudecacher

It is nice to hear that this works for some of the cachers out there, but from the posts I have read it seems that it does not work for all of them.

Also where did you get the info that the "New" PQ's go to the top of the list? I was under the impression that the PQ's ran as they were submitted, or in the case of the scheduled ones that they would run just after midnight on the date it is scheduled.

Once again, it would be nice to hear some Official response from Groundspeak on this Issue. Also now that the issue of how PQ's run has been brought up, it would be nice to have that clarified also.

Brand new pocket queries that have never been run will have priority over everything.

An existing pocket query that hasn't run for a month will have priority over an existing pocket query that hasn't run for a week.

A single pocket query that is scheduled to run every day has the lowest priority in the queue.

Brand new pocket queries that have never been run will have priority over everything.

An existing pocket query that hasn't run for a month will have priority over an existing pocket query that hasn't run for a week.

A single pocket query that is scheduled to run every day has the lowest priority in the queue.

Thanks for the reply! I never knew there was an order of priority for the PQ's, not sure if others knew it either. Your reply may help others if they are trying to get an update of their PQ's before going on vacation.

What is the "Official Word" on the PQ Generator? Is everything working fine now?

You're quite welcome, fo2gra4. Here is a more official version, which has always been located at the bottom of the main pocket query page:

The order they run is based on the last time the query ran last. Priority goes to new queries first, and the others run in the order of the oldest generated. So if you have a query run once a week it will arrive on that day much faster than someone who runs the query every day. It is recommended that you stagger your queries. Or even better, create new queries only when you need them.

I am sorry I cannot offer an "official" Groundspeak response. I suspect that many lackeys are enjoying their weekend. I am off to have breakfast with two lackeys myself now, as they are visiting my area for an event.

What is the "Official Word" on the PQ Generator? Is everything working fine now?

The only "Official Word" we got is that everything has been working fine, just slow. So there really was ever a problem... Hence the highly satisfied clients you see in this forum. :blink:

BTW, my testing fits Nudecacher's. PQs created during the troubled timeframe never ran, but PQs created before and after work fine. I think the generator was actually down and/or severely bogging, and new PQs were being corrupted. Perhaps their related to the most recent release?

That is an explanation of how things were designed to work. Brand new PQ's were NOT showing up instantly as we have come to expect. That is a problem, and just telling us not to "worry" (Raine) is unacceptable. I don't know if something was broke, or if the system was just overloaded by sheer volume. I now have less confidence in the system than I did previously. I only use a very small fraction of my total allotment. Some users obviously are maxing out their allotment. You have to restore my confidence, or I am going to start generating a whole lot more just in case PQ's. If my reaction is typical, this is going to get worse.

Thanks for the reply! I never knew there was an order of priority for the PQ's, not sure if others knew it either. Your reply may help others if they are trying to get an update of their PQ's before going on vacation.

This really was quite common knowledge. But, if we have lost confidence that the brand new PQ's are going to come through quickly, this isn't any help.

For the last few days, this may be the theory, but it is bunk.

You're quite welcome, fo2gra4. Here is a more official version, which has always been located at the bottom of the main pocket query page:

The order they run is based on the last time the query ran last. Priority goes to new queries first, and the others run in the order of the oldest generated. So if you have a query run once a week it will arrive on that day much faster than someone who runs the query every day. It is recommended that you stagger your queries. Or even better, create new queries only when you need them.

I am sorry I cannot offer an "official" Groundspeak response. I suspect that many lackeys are enjoying their weekend. I am off to have breakfast with two lackeys myself now, as they are visiting my area for an event.

While we understand that you are not able to offer an "official" Groundspeak response. Can you or someone else and Groundspeak tell us if there will be one?!? I think this would pacify a lot of the people who had to cancel plans, spent money on plans that were cancelled or were just angry about the whole situation. From what I've read it seems most are angry with the lack of response from Groundspeak on this. While Raine did respond, I think based on the circumstances most would agree that the assessment given of the situation at the time of that response with what we have seen now was that is was not 100%accurate. Computer/Server problems happen, it's the nature of the beast, disclosure of the problem and the resolution would be the best follow up to this issue in MHO!

Edited by DTHT

My weekly PQs that run on Friday were delivered that day at 8pm PST. I ran two new PQs late Saturday in prep for a Sunday caching trip. Those were delivered almost immediately.

So I can post positive results from the latest PQ server logjam. Sorry to hear others are still having troubles.

While we understand that you are not able to offer an "official" Groundspeak response. Can you or someone else and Groundspeak tell us if there will be one?!? I think this would pacify a lot of the people who had to cancel plans, spent money on plans that were cancelled or were just angry about the whole situation. From what I've read it seems most are angry with the lack of response from Groundspeak on this. While Raine did respond, I think based on the circumstances most would agree that the assessment given of the situation at the time of that response with what we have seen now was that is was not 100%accurate. Computer/Server problems happen, it's the nature of the beast, disclosure of the problem and the resolution would be the best follow up to this issue in MHO!

My Thursday and Friday queries (a combo of both regularly run as well as new ones) didn't show up until late Saturday. Of course, this meant that I was not able to run any Saturday queries. A double whammy.

That is why I put my faith in GSAK and an offsite database. I was able to cache this weekend with data that was only 3 days old.

For some months I have been running two queries without any problem. They are Near home (Caches I haven't found yet) and Mine (caches I own). Near home is running correctly without any probelm. Mine ran correctly on 29 August but since then I have had several no results. I have checked the query source nothing has changed. When I do a preview the correct number of caches are showing. I can't understand therefore why I get a no result email.

Ok, I still don't understand why there is a problem but there is. Like I have asked before, when running your PQ's on one day but receive it on the next day. Why do you lose out on your PQ's?

I ran my PQ's that I usually do on Sunday at 9:30pm EST, but did not receive them until Monday at 2:30pm EST. Needless to say when I tried to run my PQ's on Monday I was told that I exceeded my limit of 5 PQ's. My question like it was earlier in this string and is like above the above question is:

Why do we lose the current days PQ's, when the day before PQ's show up late?????????????

This is not the fault of your paying Premium Members, and Groundspeak is the one that puts the limit of 5 per day!

Groundspeak, please respond to your paying Premium Members questions on this forum string!

Edited by fo2gra4

Sitting here thinking about the issue. If it is indeed because of the PQ Generator being slow, then can we get our limit increased to 10 PQ's per day instead of five?

Wait then that will slow things down even more.

Please let us know how you plan to fix these issues with PQ's not running properly Groundspeak.

Please!!!!!!!!

Ok, I still don't understand why there is a problem but there is. Like I have asked before, when running your PQ's on one day but receive it on the next day. Why do you lose out on your PQ's?

I ran my PQ's that I usually do on Sunday at 9:30pm EST, but did not receive them until Monday at 2:30pm EST. Needless to say when I tried to run my PQ's on Monday I was told that I exceeded my limit of 5 PQ's. My question like it was earlier in this string and is like above the above question is:

Why do we lose the current days PQ's, when the day before PQ's show up late?????????????

This is not the fault of your paying Premium Members, and Groundspeak is the one that puts the limit of 5 per day!

Groundspeak, please respond to your paying Premium Members questions on this forum string!

This can be fixed so easily by using the date/time requested as the trigger for counting against the 5 per day as opposed to the current date/time ran.

I posted this suggestion in another thread

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=205448

Hopefully this recent much larger problem will give some more momentum to this suggestion.

Edited by Tequila

Ok, New PQ's are working fine without any problems. That's great! But......

When will the "scheduled" PQ's (or those run in the past) be fixed not to take almost half a day or so to run?

If you submit a PQ on one day it should run on that day - not run on the next, and if it does it should not take away from the nexts day PQ limit.

Any word yet Groundspeak????

Do you want everyone to run "New" PQ's from now on and not run the ones they already have ran in the past?????

Please let us know your position!!!

It is my experience that PQs that have not run in 7 days or more will run pretty quickly, i.e. in the first few hours of the day. As opposed to PQ that have run 6 days ago, will take up to 12-14 hours before they run.

Now, I don't even want to think how long a PQ that has run 5 days ago (or less) will take!

Ok, this forum string concerning "Pocket Queries" not running properly started almost a week ago (6 days to be exact). While there has been complaints, concerns, etc. There has been no further response from Groundspeak since Raine's reply on October 10th telling us that the PQ's will run, and that the PQ Generator was running at full steam.

Well we are still waiting for answers to many questions, response to how things are suppose to run, etc. from someone at Groundspeak. Can we get an Official Response please.

I would like to know if I have to submit a "New Request" for PQ's each time I need a PQ, or will the PQ Generator start working properly again? And when will it start working properly?

I would like to know this information since I have lost out on the ability of submitting some PQ's when the day before PQ's showed up late (the next day after they were submitted, almost 15 hours later), and the PQ Generator tells me that I am over my limit of 5 when I only submitted one PQ for that day.

Please, please, help!!!!!