Possible EarthCache. Will this meet the requirements?

Harry Dolphin

Hate it when the post doesn't come through! Oh, well.

A nearby county has six possible highpoints listed at Highpointers. It's a beautiful area. I maintain a trail there. I would like to bring EarthCachers to all six of the possible high points, and have them take elevation readings. (Photos of GPS with elevation required.) Hopefully, that way we could determine which of the six is actually the highest point! I'm off to find the last two tomorrow. It would probably be a 4.5 for terrain due to necessary bushwhacking through mountain laurel and greenbriar (not to mention the bear in the area).

The question is whether this would fulfill the requirements for an EarthCache?

A nearby county has six possible highpoints listed at Highpointers. It's a beautiful area. I maintain a trail there. I would like to bring EarthCachers to all six of the possible high points, and have them take elevation readings. (Photos of GPS with elevation required.) Hopefully, that way we could determine which of the six is actually the highest point! I'm off to find the last two tomorrow. It would probably be a 4.5 for terrain due to necessary bushwhacking through mountain laurel and greenbriar (not to mention the bear in the area).

As long as you talk about the geophysical aspects.

• What are they made of?
  • How were they formed?
  • What erosional processes are present?
  • etc...

Look at my highpoint: The Top of Ohio

You will have trouble with the bushwacking component. That doesn't go well with the Leave No Trace Ethics. See EarthCache guideline #4

I don't think the bear will be an issue though.

Look at my highpoint: The Top of Ohio

Ohio has a highpoint :P:)

Edited by TerryDad2

You will have trouble with the bushwacking component. That doesn't go well with the Leave No Trace Ethics. See EarthCache guideline #4

I don't think the bear will be an issue though.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm embarassed that I didn't notice that. :P Perhaps best left as a challenge for the geocachers who are interested in determining the high point. It's a very rugged area. (Yes. We have rugged areas in New Jersey. :) ) In the six months that I've had a cache at one of the high points, only four cachers have found it. So I doubt that there is a chance of any social trail forming. Oh, well. Lots of bear, though!

I'll proceed with the other EarthCache! All parts are on the trail.

Thanks.