Release Notes 10/9/2008

OpinioNate

I see others have asked, and the answer from someone is logging out and in again.

I have just logged in, and can not see any Geo-IP stuff anywhere. Where is it located?

I was asking before.. the answer is in one post, it's on the geocaching.com home page, the little map that looks static...

I see it now, it's about 40km (25 miles) out. Cute idea but mostly useless - Geo-IP is never going to be exact.

And the post code search is still not fixed :laughing:

Seems that Groundspeak has different priorities...

As to GeoIP not being totally accurate, well, that suits me just fine. I'm easy enough to find as it is. Here at work I'm in St. Louis. That makes sense, I think that's where the corporate servers are. I'll see where I've moved to when I get back to the house. Again, cute, but not really very valuable.

I recieved an email from a friend today... a friend that doesn't watch the release notes, obviously :laughing:

just noticed something very cool on the geocaching.com website. On the opening page, check out the small map they have displayed to the right of "SEARCH FOR GEOCACHES" - those are my caches!!!

"You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you"

And the post code search is still not fixed :laughing:

If you're referring to entering a post code and having it show you a different location, that's not our fault. We use the Google Geocoding engine and they are returning to us the incorrect data. I've already sent them numerous emails to this fact.

-Raine

I can understand the reasoning behind using the IP to locate the starting page maps... it helps for newcomers that haven't yet set up an account. But I'd like to see it use the home coordinates or zipcode when that is available. When I log in from home, the maps are roughly correct, but when I'm at work, it is hundreds of miles off. My two cents.

Now, another question... where are on the cache page are these hotels supposed to be showing up? I sure am not seeing anything like that.

The hotel link shows up to the left of the map at the bottom of the page

In fact, since later yesterday, I've been seeing two identical "Hotel" links on cache pages..?

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

...all nearby benchmarks

...all nearby Hotels

...all nearby Hotels

Is it me or does this profile page display skewed to the right with zip horizontal scrolling ability?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1443057

If it's not just me is this a site problem or an html problem that the member has created?

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Nope its not just you Deane. I have the same problem on all the cache pages. I can't see much on the left side. If I want to click on all caches of this type for example I can't see that link to click on. The formatting on the left hand side is way off as it was for the last release. I kinda like using the left side of the page too. do you think someone can look into it?

I am using Windows xp sp2 and IE 6 sp3

Edited by LadyBee4T

I'm only off by one town - it's showing south Kent, I'm in Renton. I'm not sure IP can get much closer than that...

I agree, cute idea - useful? Not really.

You hit it on the head. The IP location is going to be where your point of service is originating from. Not your actual location. Mine now puts me in Bothell.... which is the correct point of service location.

Small update to the release:

• Home page map now displays in IE v6
  • When logged in the home page map will not show caches you have found

If the map does not accurately reflect your location it could be because you are on a corporate network. Most of the time when you're at home it should get you within several blocks of your actual location, but it's not without its flaws.

Until the discovery of The One Map (aka TOM) no single map will serve everyone's needs, so we try to provide some variety.

If the map does not accurately reflect your location it could be because you are on a corporate network. Most of the time when you're at home it should get you within several blocks of your actual location, but it's not without its flaws.

I thought this was interesting... when I'm at the office, it pinpoints my location with frightening accuracy (it actually points to the building 200 feet across the street, but our building is wired through that one according to traceroute).

Edited by DavidMac

I thought this was interesting... when I'm at the office, it pinpoints my location with frightening accuracy (it actually points to the building 200 feet across the street, but our building is wired through that one according to traceroute).

Corporate IP addresses are usually coupled with corporate domains. The pinpoint then would be the point of origin for the domain which will be the address of the domain owner.

I have a static IP and have had for about 3 years.

My understanding of the way that most geo-IP lookup engines work is that they partner with large web stores (Amazon, et al) then, via their order processes and over time, learn to associate IP addresses with billing zip/postal codes to estimate the location of a given user. Given that most people have dynamic IP allocation, some error is inevitable but in the case of a static IP it should be spot on. Indeed most geo-IP lookup services put the pin in the right town for me but the map on the front page of GC.com is in Laurenceville GA, 18 miles out. Close - but not close enough to be useful, I'm afraid :)

Incidentally, a question for TPTB, do you plan to support Mozilla's new Geode plugin? Apparently we can expect it to be integrated into the browser when 3.1 comes along so lots of people are going to have this available to them... When I read about that the other day, geocaching was obviously my first thought :P

I like the idea of the new map on the home page. Much better than seeing a map of an unknown area. However, to make it useful, there should be a link that launches the geocaching google map. An easy way to launch the google cache map from the home page would be a great convenience.

the map shows me reasonably where my ISP is from, although I wouldn't mind seeing other parts of the world. I have lots of time to look at it 'cause that and come here is all I can do right now.

When I try to search for a cache, open a cache from my last 30 days list, or open a trackable item, I get a message that says "bad request (invalid verb)" I've tried logging off so I could sign back on, and I get the same error message. I even shut everything down and restarted my computer with no change.

I'm getting emails that there are new caches, and other people are logging things, so is it just me?????

Okay, it seems to be not working in Firefox, but working okay with IE.

Edited by pairomedicchick

One note..

When you click on a hotel listing, down at the bottom of that page where it lists "Nearby Geocaches", it is comming up with unpublished caches too.

At least it did when I did a look up on one of my caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/hotels/hotel.aspx?hotelid=28675

I just noticed too that each time you refresh that page it comes up with a different list of caches, and on that list one of the caches that came up was archived in 2005 :blink:

Yep, it shows unpublished caches. My "cache" for providing a home for my coins, etc shows up just fine thanks. Odd that.

(five minutes later)

Aha! it lets me see my own unpublished cache but it won't let me see somebody else's. I know how far it is from the house, but that's about all. no other information shows. That's good.

Edited by hairball45
One note..

When you click on a hotel listing, down at the bottom of that page where it lists "Nearby Geocaches", it is comming up with unpublished caches too.

They also show up in the area listing pages, like this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/hotels/city.aspx...AUS+Gainesville

One of my unpublished caches is currently shown in that list. On further investigation, the selection of caches shown seems to change on refresh but unpublished caches are definitely showing up on occasion :)

Incidentally, the unpublished cache is set PMO, don't know whether or not they're showing up when they shouldn't as well, but if there's no check for actually being published, I guess there's no PM check on those pages either?

Is it me or does this profile page display skewed to the right with zip horizontal scrolling ability?

If it's not just me is this a site problem or an html problem that the member has created?

Deane

Nope its not just you Deane. I have the same problem on all the cache pages. I can't see much on the left side. If I want to click on all caches of this type for example I can't see that link to click on. The formatting on the left hand side is way off as it was for the last release. I kinda like using the left side of the page too. do you think someone can look into it?

Is anybody working on this problem? I don't see it being addressed. I haven't changed any settings on my computer. to show you how bad it is take a look at gc2018. the name of the cache is Tristate Marker. I can only see half of the M and then arker of the title. I can't see anything that is left of that at all and that line extends down the entire page. That means I can't see the north coords at all. Sooo the question is if I can't see half of the coords I guess they are all puzzles right?

Deane

Is anybody working on this problem? I don't see it being addressed. I haven't changed any settings on my computer. to show you how bad it is take a look at gc2018. the name of the cache is Tristate Marker. I can only see half of the M and then arker of the title. I can't see anything that is left of that at all and that line extends down the entire page. That means I can't see the north coords at all. Sooo the question is if I can't see half of the coords I guess they are all puzzles right?

Still having this problem too. Seems to be radom maybe. Using Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512xpsp.080413-211 Service Pack 3 with Windows XP 5.1.2600

Edited by DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

Somethings not rendering right with the HTML or CSS or perhaps your tables?

The whole left navigation menu is pushing to the bottom of the page.

Here's a shot of the top of the page:

pagetop.jpg

Here's a shot of the bottom of the page:

pagebottom.jpg

Deane

Thanks Deane that is exactly how I am seeing it also but i don't know how to post the pages like that...

The IP map is way out for me as well making it totally pointless!

And the post code search is still not fixed :lol:

Cool, when i log in from my work PC it is picking up the HQ in Islandia New York and points me to the closest 5..... but i am physically in the Netherlands. Maybe better to use the home coordinates for this feature and secondly leveraging the IP address. :)

pagetop.jpg

pagebottom.jpg

Deane

Thanks Deane that is exactly how I am seeing it also but i don't know how to post the pages like that...

And from the other side of the big Pacific Puddle.....I'm having the same trouble. Anything I can do on my local system while this is being looked at (it is being looked at isn't it?!?!!?)

Edited by svn07

pagetop.jpg

pagebottom.jpg

Deane

And from the other side of the big Pacific Puddle.....I'm having the same trouble. Anything I can do on my local system while this is being looked at (it is being looked at isn't it?!?!!?)

A little more information:

After the page finishes loading I get an error message at the bottom left of my screen: Done, but with errors on page.

When I click on that message it shows me this as the problem:

Line: 15

Char: 25

Error: 'YAHOO.util.Selector' is null or not an object

Code: 0

Deane

Ok, I've fixed the YAHOO.util.Selector issue. The secondary problem is the fact that the two images that are used in the cache details page are 800px wide. So, if you've got your browser sized smaller than 800px, then it's going to wrap the html.

Ok, I've fixed the YAHOO.util.Selector issue. The secondary problem is the fact that the two images that are used in the cache details page are 800px wide. So, if you've got your browser sized smaller than 800px, then it's going to wrap the html.

OK, the error is gone.

But my browser is not sized smaller than 800 pixels and it is still kicking the left nav bar to the bottom.

The page with the error had a large image. But the page I orginally noted doesn't have any large images.

Could this just be an IE 6 issue?

Deane

The secondary problem is the fact that the two images that are used in the cache details page are 800px wide. So, if you've got your browser sized smaller than 800px, then it's going to wrap the html.

Oh, please don't forget about those of us with "gadgets".

bb4aa43e-0174-40ec-8cfc-2396caf99a5f.jpg

On this one, the whole screen is only 800 wide, so the web page gets a bit less than that.

Notice how there's no horizontal scrollbar in the screenshot? Sweet. But it's an old screenshot, and I hope you can keep the page looking as good as it does here.

Thanks!

The IP map is way out for me as well making it totally pointless!

And the post code search is still not fixed :)

Cool, when i log in from my work PC it is picking up the HQ in Islandia New York and points me to the closest 5..... but i am physically in the Netherlands. Maybe better to use the home coordinates for this feature and secondly leveraging the IP address. :D

I don't have to worry about where I am cause I can't figure out what you'all are talking about.

OK, the error is gone.

But my browser is not sized smaller than 800 pixels and it is still kicking the left nav bar to the bottom.

The page with the error had a large image. But the page I orginally noted doesn't have any large images.

Deane

Mine sure isn't fixed! :D I can't even read any of the coords on some of the pages. My old mac clamshell is almost as bad. It means I can't go to look for any FTF or even any new caches or old ones for that matter

OK, the error is gone.

Deane

Mine sure isn't fixed! :ph34r: I can't even read any of the coords on some of the pages. My old mac clamshell is almost as bad. It means I can't go to look for any FTF or even any new caches or old ones for that matter

Is someone working on a fix for this?

Maybe I'm dumb, but I still cannot find the IP thing. I see the static map on the home page (maybe 300x300 in size) and the search for caches box, which has a WA zipcode filled in. Is that it? If so, it has me 3000 miles off.

It's not something I'll really use, but I'm curious if that's the right thing.