Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TravelingViking

nüvi 550 Wherigo usage

Just got a nüvi 550 with Wherigo Player installed...

When loading the gwc generated for Garmin Colorado and using it:

the unit switches itself off...

When loading the gwc generated for Pocket PC and using it:

I can start using it, but the unit sometimes locks after a few clicks - unfortunately I cannot reproduce this consistently...

So is the Pocket PC file the right one to use or do I need some other format?

Olaf

I bought a "Nuvi 550" some month ago and it's ok for car-navigation and most "standard" geocaches (traditionals & multis).

But for "Wherigo" it isn't usable at all:

In the last few days I tried 2 cardridges in my "homezone" (which work fine in the version for PocketPC-Users on these devices).

The first one

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f8-8be958e12251

allways crashes already during start (the nuvi 550 needs a hard-reset to get re-animated).

The second one

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...5f-212244e3b12d

constantly crashes at station 2.

Even the garmin-demo-cardridge which was on the nuvi 550 by default (the one with the spaceship) hardly crashes near the end (while refueling the spaceship).

So garmin and/or Groundspeak did a very bad job on creating a stable Wherigo platform - especially on this device. It's a shame...

Greetz to all

Edited by we4geo

I've done 3 Wherigo caches in my area and played the Wherigo Tutorial cartridge without any issues with the nüvi 550 (Software Version 3.40, Wherigo Engine 2.22).

While building my own Wherigo, I found that my cartridge worked flawlessly on the Wherigo Builder's Pocket PC emulator but kept crashing in the field on the nüvi 550 (problems mentioned above; locks up or switches off). I've tracked down the problem to the "Show detail screen zobject" script Action (supposed to force a certain screen to be shown to the player, such as a particular Task or Location). When I removed all of these Actions, everything now works without a hitch.

(When I download cartridge files from Wherigo.com, I get the ones for "Garmin Nuvi 500" in the drop-down box; when I build my own using the Wherigo Builder, I compile for "Any Device".)

Hope this helps.