National Trust HQ generic permission granted

Details on GAGB here.

That is truly excellent.

I have already had great co-operation from the National Trust at Runnymede, to the extent that they even suggested I place another cache at another nearby location, which I intend to do. It's terrific that it looks like we should get nationwide co-operation in the same way.

Well done GAGB committee :huh: .

Rgds, Andy

I might have to renew my membership now.

I take it that any site you have to pay to enter is excluded from this due to Groundspeak regulations so there would be no need to join the NT to find any caches on their land.

Not that that should stop you renewing your membership if you want to visit their pay to visit properties (or benifit from free parking).

Excellent news though, looking forward to some new caches in some lovely spots.

Fantastic!

The NT have been really good in the past here in South Wales (especially around the Gower coastline) but it's so gratifying to see the organization as a whole supporting Geocaching.

I had a negative experience back in the early days once when I asked the warden if I could put a cache near Igtham Mote in Kent - more from lack of understanding and my failure to explain what it was about more than than anything, but this has put me off getting permission and placing caches on NT land since then.

Completely the opposite reaction to the one I got from Kent Wildlife Trust where back then, their communications officer was a regular cacher - and I spent a pleasant afternoon with one of the wardens placing virtual clues (little laminates under benches) in various locations around a bird reserve near Sevenoaks (still active but now adopted).

Things move on and change quickly!

I take it that any site you have to pay to enter is excluded from this due to Groundspeak regulations so there would be no need to join the NT to find any caches on their land.

Yes - if you have to pay to get in, you can't place a cache.

But there are many NT sites that are completely free - much of the Gower coastline in South Wales for instance, and the gardens of some of the houses are also free access.

I think there may be a few sites where you have to pay to enter, but a public right of way runs through the ground which is free to walk through. I remember this being the case with Leeds Castle (which isn't NT owned) where you have to pay to visit the gardens. You were allowed to walk the designated rights of way but not allowed to veer off the path if you didn't have a ticket to visit the castle/gardens.