Oregon 400t

Hi gang

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my GPS and am 95% certain that I will go for the 400t

but after trawling through page after page of reviews on the net I'm still not getting the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

So I would like some reviews from you guys, If you own one what do you think. In your opinion was it money well spent, would you recommend it

as a must have or do you now wish you had chosen differently?

What are the good points, are there any bad points, is there anything it does not do that you wish it did, is it easy to use?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I part with my hard earned :D

Thanks in advance to all who reply

Mark

What is one getting extra for a geocacher in the UK having a 400T rather than the cheaper 300 then??

Well according to the Garmin website the 300 does not come with the topographic map

I think that's about it though, though I'm not sure about the inbuilt memory

Again quoting from Garmin, the 300 has 850MB but it does not state a size for the 400 :huh:

Edited by The Mighty Shark

I just bought one yesterday, and so far haven't gotten a chance to use it much, but so far I love it. Although anything looks good compared to my old garmin legend. Of course, the paperless caching is a big plus -- big reason that I wanted one.

I heard a lot of complaints about the dislplay being hard to see. When I was using it in the house yesterday, I did have a lot of problems seeing the screen without the backlight on. Today, however, I was outside with it, and I don't have any complaints about the display.

The maps that come preloaded on the 400t are nice. I am surpirsed at how much detail they have for a base map.

Good luck!

Chapskis1

39 finds, Love mine. The first one I bought did not turn on but the second one works great. Upgrade from my Vista HCX. I upgraded to he newest software rev and not problems there as well.

I have a relative that has a Colorado and he wishes he had the Oregon, much easier to add manual way points and change names.

I've had a 400t for a couple of weeks now, and so far I'm fairly impressed. This is the first hand-held that I've ever had, and I got it almost exclusively for the paperless caching features.

Most of the reviews that are online are pretty accurate. The screen is a little hard to see especially in non-direct light. The battery life is fairly short (I've averaged about 7 hours on a set of 2750 NiMH's.) And the base map is about 600 feet off for me.

But the ease of use is fantastic. There have only been a couple of times that I had to look up online to see how to do some things (e.g. I couldn't figure out how to reset the trip computer.)

And the paperless cache features? Wow. I've had at least two finds so far that happened solely because of the paperless feature. I happened to be somewhere and had some time to kill. A couple of screen presses later, and I found I was about 300 yards from two caches. Boom. Two more smileys.

All-in-all, I'd probably give it 4 out of 5 stars. If they could improve the basemap accuracy, I'd give it 4.5.

What is one getting extra for a geocacher in the UK with a 400T rather than the cheaper 300 then??

Hi Gralorn, I've had a 400t for about 10 hours now and already love the Oregon features.

However, the 400t has a serious flaw for UK cachers in that the preloaded Topo maps have fatal omissions; for example the Kennet and Avon canal is missing (in case anyone thinks this is a recent addition, it was built in 1810 and is 87 miles long), as well as many other waterways and paths which are shown on UK Topo 2. I can't see this as a realistic map offering with so many fatal flaws.

However, I've geocached with it this afternoon and love the features, ease of use and field notes facility. Buy a 300.

Edit: Meant to say that the source of this was a back to back comparison between my 60CSx with UK Topo Ver 2 and the Oregon 400t running "Topo".

Edited by The Wombles

I've had a 400T for close to a week now. I've been using a Garmin Legend HCx. Some things I like better with the Legend.

The paperless caching is great. I like being able to use the field notes. The field notes really simplify logging the caches.

Some minor things I don't like but I'm getting used to them now: After finding a cache, and requesting to find the next closest cache, it goes straight to the map. I haven't a clue what the cache is. I need to back up a few steps and then go to the geocaching screen. It would be nice if that was simplified. When selecting a cache to find, and selecting go, it goes to the map screen. I would prefer it go to the compass screen. The HCx would go to the compass for Geocaches and the map for waypoints.

I really like the touch screen. Navigation is simple, though some tasks take several steps and it seems it could be done with less.

I had to project a waypoint today. I was able to figure out how to do that on the Oregon in about 10 seconds. That was cool.

As others have said, the screen could be brighter. The angle you hold it and look at it seems to make a difference. It seems fine with the backlight on though.

I've had a 400T for close to a week now. I've been using a Garmin Legend HCx. Some things I like better with the Legend.

The paperless caching is great. I like being able to use the field notes. The field notes really simplify logging the caches.

Some minor things I don't like but I'm getting used to them now: After finding a cache, and requesting to find the next closest cache, it goes straight to the map. I haven't a clue what the cache is. I need to back up a few steps and then go to the geocaching screen. It would be nice if that was simplified. When selecting a cache to find, and selecting go, it goes to the map screen. I would prefer it go to the compass screen. The HCx would go to the compass for Geocaches and the map for waypoints.

I really like the touch screen. Navigation is simple, though some tasks take several steps and it seems it could be done with less.

I had to project a waypoint today. I was able to figure out how to do that on the Oregon in about 10 seconds. That was cool.

As others have said, the screen could be brighter. The angle you hold it and look at it seems to make a difference. It seems fine with the backlight on though.

I've found hundreds of caches with mine and its accuracy is phenomonal (equal to a 60 CSX in field comparisons). I really like the paperless features and the ability to "type in" coords and other info instead of using a rocker switch. Both of these features save A LOT of time. I'm very pleased with mine.

After 3 defective Colorado's, Garmin gave me an Oregon 300 and it is light years better than the Colorado.

I have no complaints with the OR. Acquires a signal with lightning fast speed. Touch screen and data entry is well thought out. Geoaching mode is good. Could use a couple of tweaks but all in all a good unit.

I would not say it is the best GPS out there. I hold that opinion for the GPSMAP 60CSx but if you want paperless geocaching, the OR is the way to go.

I think the 400 has topo maps and more memory. The 300 has about 850 MB of free memory. I think, but am not sure, the 400 has 3GB.

I use the CN NA NT microSD card and I also put topo maps on the OR itself. Works great.

I am on my second Oregon 400t.I was so excited when I first bought it.I spent hours loading caches into it soI'd be ready to cache whenever on the road.Then one day I turned it on and nothing would happen.Thinking it needed new batteries,I replaced them and still nothing but random lines on the screen.

I took it back and exchanged it but,was no longer as excited as with the first one.So, in the box it sat for at least 2 weeks. I was getting the itch so, out it came and once again I spent a good amount of time loading caches.

On my birthday,we went to one of my favorite state parks.All set to go and no caches showing up.Fortunetly, I had my old reliable etrex and some print-outs so the day wasn't completely wrecked.

I tried loading them again but, they're still not showing up.I plan to take it back today and hopefully they will refund my money.

I've had one for a couple of weeks. The interface with touch screen is wonderful. I also have the CN card installed so I can drive to the nearest parking. All the comments about a dark screen are correct and unsolveable (long discussions in other topics) but it is only when using the topo maps. Yesterday I disabled the TOPO and the screen is very readable. I will keep it that way and only turn on the TOPO as I need it. If you really think about it how much do you need TOPO. An arrow points to the cache and I can see the terrain when I look up from the GPS.

I've had my 400C for a couple of months now. its been great, until today. Today I got a message that says, "memory full" It won't do anything now, can't turn it on. It won't allow me to plug it into the usb so that I might delete the offending files. I've read posts regarding this issue. there is advice on how to do a reset. That has not worked. I will contact garmin tomorrow. other than that, its my first handheld and it seems to do the job quite well.

I've had my 400C for a couple of months now. its been great, until today. Today I got a message that says, "memory full" It won't do anything now, can't turn it on. It won't allow me to plug it into the usb so that I might delete the offending files. I've read posts regarding this issue. there is advice on how to do a reset. That has not worked. I will contact garmin tomorrow. other than that, its my first handheld and it seems to do the job quite well.

does anyone know if you could load up your topo2008 software to it,if you buy thhe base model.

Just would like to know if you could upload your maps (city navigator or topo 2008)to the base model?

Yes to both, although keep in mind with City Navigator you'll need to buy an additional license to unlock it on your Oregon. The base model (200) has a very small internal memory (24MB) so to load any additional maps you'll really need to buy a micro SD card ($20-$30).

GO$Rs

I moved from a 60csx to the 400t. I ran the updates as soon as I got the unit. I've used it for over 150 caches now without a problem. I hate the display outside, but the good seem to out weigh the bad, so I plan to keep it.

Anyone know the 400t limit for caches? I've loaded over 3000 and they all seem to be there?

Edited by GeoRaptor

I have recently lost my 60CSx and am in the market for another GPSr. I am leaning towards either another 60CSx, a Colorado or an Oregon.

My question has to do with the tempurature and freezing (literaly) the units, esp. the screens. I have had my 60CSx for a number of years and have frozen the unit so the screen goes dim until I am able to warm it up.

I know that the CSx is a work horse and very durable and I use a PDA for paperless caching when I am caching, but some of the aspects of the Colorado and Oregon are very tempting also. Perhaps the Colorado and Oregon haven't been out long enough to know (or perhaps I am the only one silly enough that needs a compass in a blizzard, not just for caching), but can anyone speek to how the screen hold up in extreme temperatures?

Thanks for any insight.

Wakpa.

I have recently lost my 60CSx and am in the market for another GPSr. I am leaning towards either another 60CSx, a Colorado or an Oregon.

My question has to do with the tempurature and freezing (literaly) the units, esp. the screens. I have had my 60CSx for a number of years and have frozen the unit so the screen goes dim until I am able to warm it up.

I know that the CSx is a work horse and very durable and I use a PDA for paperless caching when I am caching, but some of the aspects of the Colorado and Oregon are very tempting also. Perhaps the Colorado and Oregon haven't been out long enough to know (or perhaps I am the only one silly enough that needs a compass in a blizzard, not just for caching), but can anyone speek to how the screen hold up in extreme temperatures?

Thanks for any insight.

Wakpa.

I have both the Oregon 400t and the 60Cx

The Oregon is great until you get into heavy tree cover or narrow canyons. Then you'll wish you had the 60 with an external antenna. I"ve used the Oregon in open places and it is great and paperless. I've carried both in to heavy forest and the Oregon looses the sat's while the 60 and the external stay locked in.

Think about that.....

Wai`anae CRider

Just would like to know if you could upload your maps (city navigator or topo 2008)to the base model?

Yes to both, although keep in mind with City Navigator you'll need to buy an additional license to unlock it on your Oregon. The base model (200) has a very small internal memory (24MB) so to load any additional maps you'll really need to buy a micro SD card ($20-$30)

Also keep in mind that the Topo 2008 that is pre-loaded on the 400t model is not exactly the same as that you buy on DVD. That which you buy on DVD is divided into smaller segments meaning that there are over 6000 segments (and over 4GB) in map data. The one that comes pre-loaded in closer to 500 segments (2.6GB).

If one buys the base model GPSr, they couldn't upoad the whole US Topo map set from the DVD as they would exceed the limits of the device (too many map segments and map exceeding the 4GB file size limit). If one buys the 40t model they can still load the continental US City Navigator NT map set into the GPSR internal memory on their device without needing the data card. While this is not an issue for most, it might e an issue to some...

I am also in the market to upgrade our Vista C and am really undecided between the 60 CSX and the Oregon. I have read numerous reviews, but feel the best feedback will come from cachers on this forum.

Many users complain about the poor display of the Oregon, but how bad is it compared say with our Vista C for example? It would be great to be able to go paperless on one unit and leave the battered PDA at home in future, but is there any point if the screen really is this bad?

CRider is the first person I've seen to report reception problems in canyons/under trees; has anyone else had issues with this? His straight comparison between the 60 CSX and Oregon are a concern.

The 60 CSX (and its predecessor) appears to have been the 'benchmark' for caching for a good few years, has a good receiver/antennae, excellent caching credentials and is very cheap just now. But is it worth investing in a unit that is now 18 months old when newer technology has arrived?

Decisions decisions!

I have the OR and a 60csx. In side by side tests the 60csx does better than the Oregon under heavy cover, although I don't think I've actually seen it lose signal outside (inside a house/building, yes, but never under even really dense cover). The OR is not quite as accurate as the 60csx in my tests, I frequently see drift in the 50-60' range in the forest. The OR has a lot of "track lag" as well. If I take the 60csx, CO and OR out together the OR position is normally about 30'-40' behind the CO and 60csx at walking speeds and the tracks tend to cut the inside of sharp turns. Much of this can be avoided by letting the unit settle for 30-60 seconds if you are looking for a geocache.

All in all the OR isn't as sensitive as the 60csx (or CO) but it isn't a deal breaker for me. If you want a good, sturdy, compact, paperless caching device I would recommend it. If you want the absolute best high sensitivity GPS receiver under heavy cover go for a 60csx or Colorado -- price will be your deciding factor between these two. If screen readability outdoors is your primary concern you'll need to consider the 60csx or Vistas. Both the CO and OR aren't as good, again not a deal breaker for me, but definitely not as readable outdoors as the 60csx.

GO$Rs

I have the OR and a 60csx. In side by side tests the 60csx does better than the Oregon under heavy cover, although I don't think I've actually seen it lose signal outside (inside a house/building, yes, but never under even really dense cover). The OR is not quite as accurate as the 60csx in my tests, I frequently see drift in the 50-60' range in the forest. The OR has a lot of "track lag" as well. If I take the 60csx, CO and OR out together the OR position is normally about 30'-40' behind the CO and 60csx at walking speeds and the tracks tend to cut the inside of sharp turns. Much of this can be avoided by letting the unit settle for 30-60 seconds if you are looking for a geocache.

All in all the OR isn't as sensitive as the 60csx (or CO) but it isn't a deal breaker for me. If you want a good, sturdy, compact, paperless caching device I would recommend it. If you want the absolute best high sensitivity GPS receiver under heavy cover go for a 60csx or Colorado -- price will be your deciding factor between these two. If screen readability outdoors is your primary concern you'll need to consider the 60csx or Vistas. Both the CO and OR aren't as good, again not a deal breaker for me, but definitely not as readable outdoors as the 60csx.

GO$Rs

That's great. Many thanks for putting all that together.

I think I'm edging back towards the 60 CSX/PDA option and will perhaps revisit the paperless/touch screens when their problems have been finally ironed out.

Unless anyone else can persuade me otherwise..........................?

Hi gang

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my GPS and am 95% certain that I will go for the 400t

but after trawling through page after page of reviews on the net I'm still not getting the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

So I would like some reviews from you guys, If you own one what do you think. In your opinion was it money well spent, would you recommend it

as a must have or do you now wish you had chosen differently?

What are the good points, are there any bad points, is there anything it does not do that you wish it did, is it easy to use?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I part with my hard earned :(

Thanks in advance to all who reply

Mark