Geocaching Applications for IPhone

Sounds like a discussion for the GPS and Technology forum, where there are already several similar threads.

Sorry, I wasn't able to find a discussion specifically about iphone apps. Discussions about paperless geocaching for various devices abound, but noen specifice to Iphone apps.

If you would please direct me to the topic you think covers this area, I will happily repost there.

I've used igeocacher since it first came out, and have mixed feelings about it so far. I just use it for it's database capabilities, for a replacement of cachemate which I used to use on my palm. The developer is very responsive to feedback, and has been upgrading things on an almost weekly basis, so it shows signs of being a very useful app in the long run. A rotating compass page is being added in the next update which should be very nice for using this app for replacing a stand alone gps unit.

There's a grey area with this app, and it's one I hope the moderators explain groundspeaks position on in a constructive way this time, instead of the heavy hand of closed threads with no explanations. As Keystone has mentioned - "In passing, I caution posters about promoting applications which violate the terms of use for Groundspeak pocket queries." The creator of igeocacher maintains a gpx hosting web site, which he charges for, to facilitate the transfer of gpx files between the users, gc.com and the igeocacher app. Individuals using this site are violating their terms of use agreement with Groundspeak as far as I know - I'm not a lawyer, and don't use the site.

Here's the grey area - one doesn't need to use the site to use the app. You can load your gpx files into igeocacher directly from your home computer with no middle man, which is compliant with the TOU. So my usage of this app is virtually the same as if I was using cachemate or gsak for gpx useage. Does this still make me evil or bad - because I'm using an app that has the potential of being used in evil and bad ways, even though I've stayed away from the dark side so far?

So anyway, I'll recommend this app, as long as you use it wisely, I guess.

Oh, and so I don't get in (too much) trouble - if this post and/or this app is still verboten, just let me know and I'll happily delete it asap. It's just a game!

Edited by sduck

Thanks, sduck, for the useful summary. If the application were limited to the newer version without the file transfer to a third party server, it would be a whole lot easier to talk about it. But until I'm told otherwise by Groundspeak, I don't think it proper to allow promotion of this application in the forum. Discussion of applications that don't involve sharing GPX files with third parties is welcome.

Thanks Keystone, for clearing up exactly what the problem is.

While I'm a little disappointed that legitimate users (those like myself who aren't violating the TOU) are being muzzled about this, it's not really a big deal. Enterprising iphone users are going to find out about it anyway, and there's an active forum on yahoo dedicated to it.

And I had a bit of discussion with the developer about this issue, and he indicated that he might be willing to produce a version that doesn't have access to his server, if there were requests for it, as he's aware that this is a problem for some people. Don, if you're reading in - get on it!

And that's the last I'm going to say about this issue and this app forever. Or at least for a little while.

Edited by sduck

So can we talk about it if we throw the GPX up on our own server? cuz that's what I do.... :huh: Still don't care much for it though. Looks like an early Palm app, clunky...

Geopherlite- Works, still end up using my Eten x500+ with Beeline GPS. Accuracy and a screen with my track around the target. Nice for looking up caches nearby.

Geode-Looks gorgeous, taking waaaaaaaaay to long in development.

Official Groundspeak/Geocaching app- Looks nice as well, nice that I can download target caches prior to the hunt (will definitely help in low signal areas). Needs logging ability with picture upload. I'm not especially wordy on some of the crap caches, but there si usually a good picture to take along they way.

Did I miss any?

Edited by oneeyesquare

I don't have an iPhone. This video looks really weird to me. How do you get the iPhone to work with mouse clicks? Is there an iPhone simulator for desktop computers? The geocache demo looks cool, if it is real.

I'm one of the developers on Geode. The video is of Geode running in the iPhone Simulator that ships with the official iPhone SDK.

We know it's taking forever to get this out there. We're a small shop doing this in our spare time, and we all have pretty demanding full time day jobs. I've been stepping up the amount of hours I've been putting into Geode lately to try and get it out on the App Store sometime soon for everyone that's been waiting. There's a few new screenshots on our latest blog post: http://www.nonameindustries.com/?p=73.

I don't have an iPhone. This video looks really weird to me. How do you get the iPhone to work with mouse clicks? Is there an iPhone simulator for desktop computers? The geocache demo looks cool, if it is real.

I'm one of the developers on Geode. The video is of Geode running in the iPhone Simulator that ships with the official iPhone SDK.

We know it's taking forever to get this out there. We're a small shop doing this in our spare time, and we all have pretty demanding full time day jobs. I've been stepping up the amount of hours I've been putting into Geode lately to try and get it out on the App Store sometime soon for everyone that's been waiting. There's a few new screenshots on our latest blog post: http://www.nonameindustries.com/?p=73.

This is the first I have seen of Geode. It looks amazing.

Have you done any field testing to see how well it gets to the cache?

I have been using igeocacher and my iphone very successfully. The IPhone is very underestimated by many people in it's ability as a serious GPSr for geocaching. I have had as much success using the iphone as with any of the better Garmin units I have used( and they were outstanding in my opinion )

Of course, if you plan on taking the Iphone into the woods, you need to take steps to protect it from the inevitably drop into a puddle. I use a "drypac" i purchased at REI for 12 bucks. Completely waterproof, padded on the back side, with a lanyard to hang around your neck. Works very well.