Quick question about the Oregon

Now to look for a good price on one while the OH is in a good mood and willing to let me buy.

Darn it, you have me looking now.. :D just been checking out the garmin website but as usual the compare link is broken so can anyone tell me briefly what the difference is between the 400i, the 400c and the 400t. I have seen the 400t listed on amazon for £295 can anyone beat that?

Also can anyone tell me if they think that the Oregon is a better buy than the Colorado?

I have just got myself an Oregon 400t, seems this one came with a topo map installed as standard and it is VERY easy to use. I have uploaded a load of caches to it - from withinn the garmin site.

The touch screen is so much easier to use than the rock n roller thing on the colorado. Would not be without mine.

From Memory (as I've been selling them in my day job).

200 - Worldwide Basemap, limited amount of internal memory, no Wireless data transfer.

300 - Shaded worldwide basemap, around 800MB of internal memory, Wireless data transfer

400t - as the 300, but includes 3D visualisation and a more detailed basemap

400i is for inland water

400c is for sea

From Memory (as I've been selling them in my day job).

200 - Worldwide Basemap, limited amount of internal memory, no Wireless data transfer.

300 - Shaded worldwide basemap, around 800MB of internal memory, Wireless data transfer

400t - as the 300, but includes 3D visualisation and a more detailed basemap

400i is for inland water

400c is for sea

Ok thanks for that. I just need to persuade the wife to let me spend our money now then :D

Now to look for a good price on one while the OH is in a good mood and willing to let me buy.

gin

Darn it, you have me looking now.. :D just been checking out the garmin website but as usual the compare link is broken so can anyone tell me briefly what the difference is between the 400i, the 400c and the 400t. I have seen the 400t listed on amazon for £295 can anyone beat that?

Also can anyone tell me if they think that the Oregon is a better buy than the Colorado?

Did you specifially ask or buy one that came with the TOPO map installed as standard or has the specification now been changed . I read a customer review on Amazon saying that the map that was preinstalled was not as good as the Topo map ??

I may be wrong then, its got a map that was preinstaled and I guesed the 400t was a ref to topo. It did let me down the other night as did not show streams and foothpaths for the wood I was lost in .....take spare batteries for torch next time lol.

Still an AWESOMe bit of kit.

Does it show footpaths and streams normally ?? I'm very intersted on what kind of map it has and how detailed it is ? Really hoping to get one for my birthday soon but I have to do the research for it myself as my OH isnt very techno minded.

You get the full description, hint AND logs.

AND you can log the caches as found (or otherwise) and upload them to GC.com for quick and easy logging.

But only 1000 waypoints/caches is that correct?

Jamie can you confirm this bit.. I know not many cachers load this many but some do.. :D

Cheers. :blink:

You get the full description, hint AND logs.

AND you can log the caches as found (or otherwise) and upload them to GC.com for quick and easy logging.

But only 1000 waypoints/caches is that correct?

Jamie can you confirm this bit.. I know not many cachers load this many but some do.. :D

Cheers. :grin:

They quote 1000 for the Colorado and the Oregon, but my Colorado takes 2000 caches, when I have overloaded it, it still allows me to see the first 2,000 not sure what formula it decides to use to pick the ones I can see though.

They quote 1000 for the Colorado and the Oregon, but my Colorado takes 2000 caches, when I have overloaded it, it still allows me to see the first 2,000 not sure what formula it decides to use to pick the ones I can see though.

They upped the limit from 1000 to 2000 in one of the firmware fix-packs/upgrades. Hence original documentation shows the lesser of the two limits.

J

I believe the map that comes with the 400t Is not fantastic at 1:100,000.

I think it has contour lines at 100ft intervals!

I very much doubt that there would be much detail about footpaths and streams in there? I do believe it may be a vector map?

Actually topo V2 does not show all streams and footpaths as I personally found out the hard way one night whilst on a bat watch.