What will stop your geocaching plans?

Here it is 1:42pm EST I have been planning to go geocaching today since Saturday. I managed to clear my schedule so I could go geocaching for 6hours. And of course it is pouring down rain. No lightning or thunder, Just lots of rain.

Am I totally out of my mind like my wife is telling me because I still want to go? I have the ol garmin in a ziploc baggie for extra precaution, I have an umbrella to pop open in order to keep the inside of the cache dry if I happen to find one. I'm human so the worst that would happen is I would get all muddy and wet and possibly catch a cold.

So am I nuts?

Please share your opinions and stories (good or bad) of your geocaching adventures on a less than perfect clear sunny day.

Here it is 1:42pm EST I have been planning to go geocaching today since Saturday. I managed to clear my schedule so I could go geocaching for 6hours. And of course it is pouring down rain. No lightning or thunder, Just lots of rain.

Am I totally out of my mind like my wife is telling me because I still want to go? I have the ol garmin in a ziploc baggie for extra precaution, I have an umbrella to pop open in order to keep the inside of the cache dry if I happen to find one. I'm human so the worst that would happen is I would get all muddy and wet and possibly catch a cold.

So am I nuts?

Please share your opinions and stories (good or bad) of your geocaching adventures on a less than perfect clear sunny day.

Did you play in the rain when you were a kid? Sure you did! We all did. So, why stop now?

So am I nuts?

Last saturday - six mile round-trip - in the rain and wind - for one cache. My wife didn't think I was crazy, she was right there with me. :D Had a great time.

Dress appropriately and go for it.

PS: The risk of a cold from walking in the rain is greatly exaggerated.

The worst weather I have cached in was November 2006. We had a cold snap and it was around -30ºC. I was bundled up with the long underwear, tuque, heaviest coat I could find along with my gloves. I had about a 2km walk from the car to the cache site.

I couldn't get the ammo can open with my gloves on. Without thinking, I removed my gloves and grabbed the can -- well, there must have been enough sweat on my hands from all the clothes I was wearing that my hands stuck to the metal of the can. They weren't "stuck" like "tongue on a flagpole" kind of stuck, but it still was enough to take me by surprise.

(And people wonder why I have doubts about using a touchscreen GPSr in the cold weather.)

We don't usually let weather stop us if we have plans.

A few of us had plans to do a 7 mile hike this past Sunday. We thought the weather was supposed to be good, but when we woke up, it was pouring. We sent a couple quick text messages between us, and some decided to bail, but 4 of us still went.

It poured for the first 2 hours, a soaking sideways type rain. I wore shorts, hiking boots (my feet stayed dry) and a rain coat.

My GPS is waterproof, so I didn't care if it got wet. I kept my PDA & phone in a ziplock inside my covered pack. I didn't open them or use them until the rain had stopped completely, so we didn't have hints or anthing, which made searching a bit slower.

While we were hiking, we saw several mountain bike riders and quite a few hikers, so apparently we're not as "crazy" as we thought.

d0e9c436-8ee6-4720-8e20-00a1572c52ab.jpg

A raincoat and hat and I was good to go. Max didn't mind the rain either.

1f1940dc-6ad5-4f48-b8c9-25b302572e5d.jpg

Some dry friends enjoy lunch after the rain stopped

2b65e5b0-824a-4bba-a17e-954c881120e5.jpg

The overcast skies made the pond look especially pretty

8e439caf-ebda-43b4-b07b-b0cde98872db.jpg

A little snow and 13 degree temps doesn't even stop us

Edited by Skippermark

Last saturday - six mile round-trip - in the rain and wind - for one cache. My wife didn't think I was crazy, she was right there with me. :D Had a great time.

Wish my wife was like that. That is why I put part of the user name "family" in. If I could keep all my stats (which aren't many) I would change it to something that fits me more personally.

Thanks for the support of " The risk of a cold from walking in the rain is greatly exaggerated."

Only the Wicked Witch will melt in the rain. Get your gear on and go!

Hey! That was going to be MY witty response! :D So obviously I totally agree that rain ain't no big thing and you should go for it. I don't let rain hold me back but if it was really stormy it might hold me back for a while. Part of the fun is getting dirty.

Yeah, I mean, you have to use common sense. You wouldn't want to hike along an exposed ridgeline if it's lightening, and you have to be careful walking on rocks and climbing up steep terrain because it can be slippery. And if you have non-waterproof electronics protected, they need to be protected, but overall, hiking in the rain can be quite fun.

Rain, no problem. Do that all the time. Lightning ran us off a hill at 12,000+ feet a couple of months ago, but we still signed the logbook. :D Found more caches on the way down too.

A black widow spider near ground zero ended a night of "caching back to the hotel" in Simi Valley about a month ago. Figured I should get the hint and get back and get some sleep. Took a DNLL (Did Not Look Long) on that one.

I lived on the Oregon coast and if you stayed inside when it rained then that meant you spent a lot of time in your house.

The main thing is to be prepared and dressed right for the weather.

I think it is important for your body to be in different climates so your imune system gets used to changes.

If you go on a vacation to somewhere and it is raining the whole time I hope you do not just sit in the motel room and watch TV.

Take the risk and chance of getting a cold and enjoy the rain like when you was a kid.

I have three girls 6,7 and 19 and if we get the chance to jump in a puddle of water we do or I let them so they will remember this when they get older sometimes I run up and jump in the puddles first but do they ever get mad if I get them wet from the splashes but then they get me back and we all run in the house and get dried off. During the winter our front porch has a extra heater and they change clothes like crazy to prevent them from getting sick. They do have all types of snow suits but somehow they always manage to get wet.

It looks like you may need to take your wife out and jump in the puddles it will be a ever lasting memory.

You may want to find some caches first or you may get sick. :D

Take a gel pen they write great in the rain.

Edited by River Cacher
A black widow spider near ground zero ended a night of "caching back to the hotel" in Simi Valley about a month ago. Figured I should get the hint and get back and get some sleep. Took a DNLL (Did Not Look Long) on that one.

They do add some excitement to the find. Here in CT, we don't really have too many natural critters to worry about, but in other areas, things can be different.

I have cached in all of the following since I started:

• Sunny Hot 117 with 2% humidity
  • In the desert during a 50mph sandstorm and 106F
  • -40 night breezy and light snow - about 10 inches on the ground
  • pouring rain - windy - umbrella flew away and rain coat leaked (thrown away now)
  • 20F windy - near blizzard conditions - heavy snow and wind
  • 94F high - cold front dropped it to 40F within 3 hours time, light rain - long trail
  • etc

There was that one time I stopped looking for the cache after getting bit by a copperhead. :D After two hours at home the bruising and swelling was still increasing, so I went to the ER for some serious pain meds.

Other than that-it would probably take a hurricane to stop me if I really wanted to go out and play in the rain.

Uh, we went on a 3 mile hike on an island that is really a remnant part of the "Knobs" of southern Indiana (You'll know what I mean) when it was snowing, sleeting, hailing, forecast high of 41° but never made it --uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill all day long all on slushy muddy deer trails. I even fell in the creek that was frozen just 50 feet upstream.

I went caching at night, looking for caches in Palmetto groves, near ponds that probably had alligators in them in Florida with my siblings--using cell phones for flashlights.

I went caching in fog-snow in Chicago.

I went stomping down a steamy rural road when the temp was 103° F at 10 a.m. during a heatwave (and I didn't even want to know the heat index temp) to get my first FTF on a puzzle cache.

We took a spring break trip to Wisconsin in the middle of March and cached in the snow.

I dug in muddy peridotite soil for two days looking for diamonds to claim one EarthCache another spring break. That same trip we narrowly avoided running into a tornado during a storm that flooded an entire Texas town.

Nah, not much will stop us. Unless neither car will start.

Lessee,

Drove from North Carolina to Michigan. My extensive outwear clothing consisted of tennis shoes and my hoodie jacket. A spring snowstorm dumped ten inches of the white stuff as I crossed the Michigan border which caused me to take shelter in a hotel for the night.

03-22-08_0844.jpg

That morning I dug myself out and drove almost the rest of the way to my destination. I could not help myself and stopped at three different cache areas.

03-22-08_1544_edited.jpg

Ahhhhh the shoes were quite wet by the time I was done but the fun of caching in the snow was just too tempting to pass up.

03-22-08_1545_edited.jpg

-HHH :D

Edited by Headhardhat

So am I nuts?

Yes you're totally nuts for even considering altering your plans because of a bit of imperfect weather. If you are not retired you only have one or two days each week to live. Don't loose any of them!!!!!

With how wet this summer was up here in New England, it seemed like we did most of our caching in the rain. We even cached in Hurricane Hannah, ok it was just rain by the time it reached us, but it was a lot of rain!

And just to give the girls out there a voice, I the "wife" am the one that drags my husband out of the house.

Anytime I get an invitation for free barbecue and beer.......caching is put on the back burner of priorities!

:D

That would do it for me!!!

I often don't feel like going out when the weather is bad but sometimes I do and when I do I will brave anything.

4590da46-f1d0-4d4c-89fa-5626e5003919.jpg

Here is a nice picture from last March that I took of myself during a blizzard. I hiked well over ten miles that day and the snow was falling so fast that when I was done signing the log and turned back to return to the car all of my footprints were already gone. I just laughed to myself when I got back in the car and tried to put my hood down. It stayed in the shape of my head.

I still like snow over rain anyday... guess I just don't like getting wet.

- Rev Mike

The weather doesn't bother me (Bill) so much, but high humidity will put the kabosh to it for Rae, with her COPD. I am having knee surgery tomorrow, which will SEVERELY limit my mobility; maybe give me a new appreciation and perspective regarding "handicapped accessible" caches.

So am I nuts?

Last saturday - six mile round-trip - in the rain and wind - for one cache. My wife didn't think I was crazy, she was right there with me. :huh: Had a great time.

You know and I know that you really can't get sick from walking in the rain. I have done it all of my long life and never got sick. Well wouldn't you know after my last escapade in the rain I came down with pneumonia and am just getting over it after 2 months. Now I have to somehow convince my loving wife that you can't get sick from walking in the rain

So am I nuts?

Last saturday - six mile round-trip - in the rain and wind - for one cache. My wife didn't think I was crazy, she was right there with me. :P Had a great time.

You know and I know that you really can't get sick from walking in the rain. I have done it all of my long life and never got sick. Well wouldn't you know after my last escapade in the rain I came down with pneumonia and am just getting over it after 2 months. Now I have to somehow convince my loving wife that you can't get sick from walking in the rain

You must have missed the 'Dress appropriately' part. :huh:

Actually, I didn't say you wouldn't get pneumonia, just that you wouldn't catch a cold.

Hope you're well now.

I drove up to Harrisburg, PA to pick up my son from visiting with his grandparents, so I search hwy 81 for caches, I picked out ones that would put us at good places to take breaks/pit stops. We got a hour on the road headed home with in 500 ft of the rest stop and our next cache the car just quits, on a Sun nothing is open. $143 tow bill, $70 hotel bill and $645 car repair bill. It stopped us for a day then we got on the road and had to cut down the # of caches.

We have cached in - degree weather/windchills. Which ended in some DNLL. We also cache in the pouring rain. The first time we went we realized our "waterproof" jackets were not waterproof. It didn't matter we were soaked, covered in mud, and didn't find what we were looking for but had a great time!

I don't believe that you can catch a cold from the rain. Chances are you were already coming down with the cold and didn't notice.

So am I nuts?

Last saturday - six mile round-trip - in the rain and wind - for one cache. My wife didn't think I was crazy, she was right there with me. :P Had a great time.

You must have missed the 'Dress appropriately' part. :huh:

Actually, I didn't say you wouldn't get pneumonia, just that you wouldn't catch a cold.

Hope you're well now.

While you can't catch any of these just by being cold or wet, exposure to the elements can lower your resistance, as can any form of stress.

As to where one contracts a cold or flu, some are by direct contact (shaking hands for instance, which is one reason health professionals are so serious about hand washing). Some are by airborne variants and I have seen a reference that some are by dormant virii but that's unconfirmed.

I think that's true. Maybe I meant to say when it's one of those brutally hazy, hot and humid days. When it rains, I always feel cooler, but once it stops, the humidity usually gets unbearable.

Oh, I fully understand what you mean! you get back to the paved road and it is steaming. I honestly think its worse after it rains then before.

What stops me from caching is usually the cache-crazy hubby. This former boy scout obviously got kicked out because he couldn't understand the words "Be Prepared". He wants to go hunting for woods caches in the dark, on the way home from work, while I am wearing my nice business attire and heels. He wants to go into swamp areas when he's forgotten the deep woods off, and likes to go for the high-muggle-traffic hides during peak muggle hours. He likes to look for caches on playgrounds when there are nervous moms with little kids nearby, and can't understand why anybody would object to a strange-looking man who obviously does not have a kid in tow hanging around such a place. We're talking about a geeky fat guy in his forties!

In short, I can cache in any and all weather conditions or locations -- WHEN I AM DULY PREPARED! What stops me from caching at times is the outright stupidity of my caching partner.

The only thing that can spoil a day of caching for us is if one of us is injured or sick. Our average snowfall is 200 inches per year so we can't let the weather stop us from getting outdoors. If we did, we'd only be able to cache from May to October. We've found caches in as much as two feet of snow.

The only thing that can spoil a day of caching for us is if one of us is injured or sick. Our average snowfall is 200 inches per year so we can't let the weather stop us from getting outdoors. If we did, we'd only be able to cache from May to October. We've found caches in as much as two feet of snow.

My 64 year old mom is my caching partner. She broke her wrist 10 days ago, we were out caching the next day. She had surgery on the broken wrist 2 days ago, we were out caching today. :) Not much stops us from going out.