responsiveness in lists

roolku

I am using a Mitac Mio 168 which is one of the recommended players and I find it incredibly slow when selecting an item in a list. One can literally watch how it is redrawing the screen with the selection highlighted, but instead of displaying the selected item or zone it will just stay on the index page. Eventually (after 20s) it will eventually display the item. I can sometimes speed up the process by minimising the application and when I maximise it again, the item page is displayed. I have the impression there is some background processing going on that uses up most of the cpu - maybe the drawing of the little arrows? I also notice that the GPS indicator seems to go to red for short periods of time in these circumstances, even though the reception ought to be perfect.

So I guess my questions are:

- is anyone else experiencing this?

- why is this happening?

- how can I as a builder "optimise" my cartridge to reduce or eliminate the effect as it is a major annoyance?

I have 10 (not more than 7 active at the time) zones, 8 items, 1 character - so not particularly complex.

I suppose it could be an issue with the PDA, but I have made sure that no other programs are running in the background and have no other ideas what else to change.

Cheers

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Does this problem happen on just one cartridge or on all cartridges?

It has definitely happened on http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...93-2a0c1b017780

I can't say for certain for the other two I have tried so far.

Somehow it seems worse on my own cartridge, but it could well be a wrong impression. I have been running it so often during testing and I am getting impatient.

Have you shut down (just not minimized) all other applications?

Yes, no other applications are running.

How much free memory do you have available before you load the Wherigo Player?

before: 8.22MB/26.50MB (storage/program)

with Wherigo running: 8.22MB/16.98MB

with cartridge loaded: 8.22MB/16.53MB

Seems all right to me.

Hi

Whilst I don't know your specific device, it is sounding like your reaching the limit of what your can have active all at the same time. Whilst writting a Wherigo and testing it on the Oregon, I found that any more than 11 active zones or a couple of zones and around 9 characters in one zone absolutely crippled the Oregon, taking over 1minute to respond to button presses.

Does anyone have a rough guide to how many active things can be running at once? A sort of worst case answer for the worst device out there . I'm a little worried that whilst I may get it working on my Oregon, other GPS's will have problems.

In my case I'm currently rewritting the zones, so that as you enter each area (sort of master zones), only zones in that area are active. I've yet to test it to see how well it works, fingers crossed.

Hi

Whilst I don't know your specific device, it is sounding like your reaching the limit of what your can have active all at the same time. Whilst writting a Wherigo and testing it on the Oregon, I found that any more than 11 active zones or a couple of zones and around 9 characters in one zone absolutely crippled the Oregon, taking over 1minute to respond to button presses.

Does anyone have a rough guide to how many active things can be running at once? A sort of worst case answer for the worst device out there . I'm a little worried that whilst I may get it working on my Oregon, other GPS's will have problems.

In my case I'm currently rewritting the zones, so that as you enter each area (sort of master zones), only zones in that area are active. I've yet to test it to see how well it works, fingers crossed.

Hi!

The thread below is a good discussion on this topic.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...hl=active+zones

Good luck!

J2B2 :)

I played your cartridge on the emulator, and it seems as though it is your device that might be problematic. I was informed that Mitac Mio 168 tends to be a bit slower than other devices.

I am bumping the thread as I just had someone with an "HTC TyTyn II (Kaiser / Stellar XDA etc)" playing my Wherigo and he ran into the same issue. That PPC should be sufficiently fast? So am coming back to the question - is there anything I can do in my cartridge to improve things?

J2B2, when you said you tried my cartridge - did you mean the one that I linked to? Or the one I wrote.

Cheers

Roolku

I played your cartridge on the emulator, and it seems as though it is your device that might be problematic. I was informed that Mitac Mio 168 tends to be a bit slower than other devices.

I am bumping the thread as I just had someone with an "HTC TyTyn II (Kaiser / Stellar XDA etc)" playing my Wherigo and he ran into the same issue. That PPC should be sufficiently fast? So am coming back to the question - is there anything I can do in my cartridge to improve things?

J2B2, when you said you tried my cartridge - did you mean the one that I linked to? Or the one I wrote.

Cheers

Roolku

I tried the one that was linked, on the emulator.