gc.com and Firefox

Tequila

I use Firefox and quite frequently attempts to post logs, query a cache etc. hangs. If I Stop/Retry a few times it finally goes through. Very annoying. Does not see to be day or time dependent.

I know this is not a time problem as other websites respond instantly while this is happening.

Is anyone else seeing this?? Also happens with forum posts.

I use Firefox and quite frequently attempts to post logs, query a cache etc. hangs. If I Stop/Retry a few times it finally goes through. Very annoying. Does not see to be day or time dependent.

I know this is not a time problem as other websites respond instantly while this is happening.

Is anyone else seeing this?? Also happens with forum posts.

I use FF exclusively, and have never had any issues that I can attribute to the browser, only what appears to me to be server lag.

And when I've switched over to Internet Exploder just to check, have had the same delay issues. (which usually go away in a few minutes, regardless of browser)

Nope. Never noticed any kind of problem like that with Firefox and GC.com. Been using it for ages, with and without greasemonkey scripts.

Perhaps something is wrong with your connection.

If it was a connection problem, I would expect the same issue with every website. For example, cnn.com is responding perfectly while gc.com hangs.

Based on response #2 above, I assume this is a gc.com problem.

That's just the servers at groundspeak being slow.

With firefox you probably can turn off an advertisement and get a little better speed.

The culprit, that right now has prevented me from correcting the date on my last 5 cache finds, (I logged a day of 25 finds and then yesterdays finds without correcting the date, arrgh) is pagead2.googlesyndication.com It's taken 31 minutes for both the geocaching and the forums site to NOT BE BOGGED DOWN.

Edited by trainlove

Nope. Never noticed any kind of problem like that with Firefox and GC.com. Been using it for ages, with and without greasemonkey scripts.

Perhaps something is wrong with your connection.

If it was a connection problem, I would expect the same issue with every website. For example, cnn.com is responding perfectly while gc.com hangs.

Based on response #2 above, I assume this is a gc.com problem.

That's like saying "I-405 is bumper to bumper traffic, but I-5 Northbound was fine, so it must be the fault of my Doctors office (the destination)"

The road between you and Groundspeak and you and CNN are different. They go through different hardware and different switches. Assuming because one works that the other should also is simply not reality.

I've been living with this problem for literally years now. I'm using the latest Firefox, on Ubuntu (Linux) 6.10. It seems to only affect GC.com (and perhaps the forums) for me; I haven't noticed it on other sites.

Recently I used a laptop for a few weeks to access GC.com; it had Firefox running on Windows XP. That worked flawlessly. Accessing GC.com from my Nokia N800, or from IE (shudder) in my GSAK virtual machine works flawlessly too. Only my Ubuntu/Firefox/GC.com combination seems to have the problem.

A while ago I spent some time investigating DNS configuration. (Currently I'm using OpenDNS, but I've had this problem with my ISP's DNS servers too.) Did a lot of googling, but couldn't find anything obvious about known problems.

I just tried putting pagead2.googlesyndication.com on the blocked images list. Already I can see that hasn't helped.

It is not Firefox, which is what I was looking for.

My guess, since it happens with other browsers, is it is either gc.com or some link between you/me/everyone else with the problem AND gc.com

And apparently, a link not used to get to cnn.com or any of the other sites I tried with no problem.

Hence, my request to close the topic.

Edited by Tequila
I've been living with this problem for literally years now. I'm using the latest Firefox, on Ubuntu (Linux) 6.10. It seems to only affect GC.com (and perhaps the forums) for me; I haven't noticed it on other sites.

Recently I used a laptop for a few weeks to access GC.com; it had Firefox running on Windows XP. That worked flawlessly. Accessing GC.com from my Nokia N800, or from IE (shudder) in my GSAK virtual machine works flawlessly too. Only my Ubuntu/Firefox/GC.com combination seems to have the problem.

A while ago I spent some time investigating DNS configuration. (Currently I'm using OpenDNS, but I've had this problem with my ISP's DNS servers too.) Did a lot of googling, but couldn't find anything obvious about known problems.

I just tried putting pagead2.googlesyndication.com on the blocked images list. Already I can see that hasn't helped.

They did not get their answer it seems, and their detective work is very well done. I see no reason to close the topic at this point since they still have a question related to the issue.

Home: I use Firefox and ocassionally IE and get ocassional hangs on various sites (from both browsers)...not just gc.com. One will hang and the other usually won't...

Work: I have to use IE...and get ocassional hangs on various sites...

I just cough it up to internet connection issues...as ReadyOrNot stated...paths to and from websites are different for most people...where one has a problem, another may not.

Edited by ArcherDragoon

If you don't shut down your browser, logon session, or PC every night, Firefox can become appallingly slow after a few days. You can look (on Windows) at Task Manager and see that it's eating 600MB of memory. Even if all of that is in RAM on a PC with 2GB of physical memory, it can eat your CPU time while scanning through all the uncollected orphaned data structures. Sometimes it can take two seconds to respond to a simple click in an input box. (I haven't taken the plunge on Firefox 3.0 yet; apparently it's claimed to suffer less from this problem.)

In theory you can kill the browser and restart it with the same tabs, reclaiming 3/4 of the memory. But whenever I try that, 9 times out of 10 I get a browser crash when typing in input fields in reopened tabs.