Another Trait of caches

Gralorn

Noticed that we have another trait of caches starting to match Motorway Mayhem, A Road Anarchy and Sidetracked, it's Let the Bus Take the Fuss, a series of caches placed at Park & Ride facilities, the setter is hoping that eventually all towns with such a convenience will have them. Have done one in Bath and notice that three more have been placed in the last 24 hours. Will this take off throughout the UK I wonder? :D:blink::o

Noticed that we have another trait of caches starting to match Motorway Mayhem, A Road Anarchy and Sidetracked, it's Let the Bus Take the Fuss, a series of caches placed at Park & Ride facilities, the setter is hoping that eventually all towns with such a convenience will have them. Have done one in Bath and notice that three more have been placed in the last 24 hours. Will this take off throughout the UK I wonder? :D:blink::o

God help us! :(

And as the person who suggested such a series said to me, sometimes it'd be very helpful to know where there's a loo. I suppose I can see some merit in pinpointing historic Public Conveniences over, say, random hedgerow in a random field outside a random village, without so much as a footpath running to it... :D

I did a cache at one of the Park & Ride's in Cambridge, strangely enough it was in a pleasant wooded secluded area adjacent to the car parking area, so it wasn't a bad cache......sadly this isn't the case everywhere....

Edited to add....and it wasn't a micro!

Edited by Stokesy

I hope not !

Cue moan about the good old days.

In the Old Days, there was a great little series in W Yorkshire that could be done with a day rover train ticket. Caches near all the stations on the rail line from Leeds up to Marsden. It was very well received.

Can't remember the name but maybe it was "Day Rover" something.

Ain't there room enough for those caches? It's just like... you're not obligated to go after them. Ignore them and move on.

In before angst. :blink::D

Quite agree, as I have said in another thread, if you don't like a certain type of cache or location then don't go out and find them, leave them to others who do.

It's a game for all types of people, not just the elitist types who hunger for 'TGOD'

Edited by DrDick&Vick

And as the person who suggested such a series said to me, sometimes it'd be very helpful to know where there's a loo. I suppose I can see some merit in pinpointing historic Public Conveniences over, say, random hedgerow in a random field outside a random village, without so much as a footpath running to it... :D

I am ready to be shot down, but i quite like the idea of knowing where loos are, as we cache with our children and have lost count of the amount of times we have needed to find a loo, having a cache there would help especially when caching on holiday.

I appreciate that you can simply ignore them, but some things lend themselves better to Waymarking than geocaching. IMO the effort of setting up a park and ride series would be better employed in setting it up "over there" if it's mainly meant to highlight the position of park and ride facilities. It would have the advantages of not needing permission, not needing you to be filmed being furtive in a public area and not being regularly muggled, which could all be problems if containers are employed.

Indeed, I don't see much wrong with an "at your convenience" series of waymarks even though "logging" them might have an ambiguous meaning. :grin: It would at least be a useful category even if it's not particularly interesting.

Historic or unusual "facilities" would make a better category, although you might have to call them "bathrooms" to make it understood by the majority. :D

Placing caches at these sites seems irrelevant unless it's strictly for the numbers hounds.

You think that's bad? I've heard talk of an At Your Convenience series...

Maybe I've been out of the UK for too long: my first thought was "7/11, Tesco Local, Spar". :grin:

Actually, having waded through more than my fair share of "paper trails" in lay-bys in several countries, I think I'd welcome such a series. You'd probably end up keeping your shoes cleaner than when rummaging around two metres into the trees. :D (In the US I suppose you could blame bears.)

...sounds like Waymarking to me!

It certainly does. I have noticed that the Waymarking side of things is starting to deteriotate as well. There is even a section on Coin-operated car washes! :D Interesting places to visit is one thing, but come on, that's ridiculous! :grin:

It's easy to pick on Waymarking by quoting those categories. It's not fair to avoid referring others, eventually more interesting to some, such as UNESCO protected world sites, cathedrals, castles, scenic hiking routes, lookouts, scenic roads, etc, etc, etc.

There are some uninteresting categories and some very interesting. Pretty much like geocaching. There's a wide range of variety. You choose what you want. No one is forcing you to catch'em all! :-)

There are some uninteresting categories and some very interesting. Pretty much like geocaching. There's a wide range of variety. You choose what you want. No one is forcing you to catch'em all! :-)

All true, and some categories are more "for information" rather than "for logging". Wi-fi, for instance, which is not really something you'd be bothered about logging but you may find a list of locations useful. Whereas you might want to visit and log Infamous Crime Scenes or Kugel Balls. If there's a category that you really hate you simply hit the thumbs-down button and it disappears from your view.

I thought that "park and ride" would make a similar type of category, which is why it strikes me as less suitable for a geocache. But if people really like to sign a logbook after they park then fair enough!

But if people really like to sign a logbook after they park then fair enough!

I think that if we were honest, many of us would admit that whatever the stated purpose of the cache ("This series provides an ideal opportunity to stretch your legs while out doing <X>"), we will in fact just have parked there for the cache. :D

Edited by sTeamTraen

There is a ParknRide series of caches around York. In fact we parked at the Askham Bar one last Saturday and bagged the cache (not a micro) before getting the bus into town for a days caching. This probably encouraged us not to take the car into town so a useful purpose perhaps - also parking in town is approx £6 whereas ParknRide was £2.30 return (Matt free as he is under 16)

Personally I see nothing wrong in the "Park & Ride" Caches., having placed 6 historic caches which get a lot of visits I thought it would be fun to do a few "quickies", and "no" to the person who thought they might be boring, all of my caches are placed in woodland, slightly away from the actual "Park & Ride". There are people out there doing it purely as a numbers game - and good luck to them. I can assure you I have done much more uninteresting, boring and sometimes quite dangerous caches. So don't knock those of us who are trying to make things a bit more fun and interesting for other cachers. Caching should be a fun hobby where you sometimes meet (at Meets) others with a like interest, don't let's degenerate it into a moaning, arguing - "My cache is better than yours!!" argument. Let everybody have fun and play the game as it suits them.

Surely this is no worse than any other cache. Let people enjoy themselves and do what caches they wish, after all nobody is making them do them. It's purely a matter of choice.

Incidentally we go to great lengths to make sure our "historic" caches are accurate and of interest, and enjoyable for all concerned and have gone to a lot of trouble to get permission to place these caches where needed on private land.

Berrow Cachers and I were thinking of placing some Ammo boxes (remember them?) in the woods and calling the series "An Ammo box In The Woods - ......"

Do you think it'll catch on? :(

Were we? :)

Seriously though I guess we need to just accept individual caching preferences, and as long as caches are placed within the guidelines then why not. At least you know what to expect at a Sidetracked, or an Off yer Trolley cache; unlike some charmingly named caches we've tried.