How do I paperless cache with my palm?

Geoperks on the move

Do I need special software to download the info to my palm? Do I have to type everything in? I would love to use my palm (Tungsten E2) to geocache (I really love the little thing!), I just need some guidance.

You'll need to be a premium member in order to get bulk GPX data files. You can then use Palm programs like CacheMate which is a text-only display, or the Spinner/Plucker combo which gives you a nearly complete representation of the original cache pages, plus maps.

Do I need special software to download the info to my palm? Do I have to type everything in? I would love to use my palm (Tungsten E2) to geocache (I really love the little thing!), I just need some guidance.

You'll need to be a premium member in order to get bulk GPX data files. You can then use Palm programs like CacheMate which is a text-only display, or the Spinner/Plucker combo which gives you a nearly complete representation of the original cache pages, plus maps.

My understanding from your write up is that I need to purchase two things, premium membership, and either cacheMate or the spinner/plucker program. Is that correct?

GSAK = Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - The software allows you to sort and organize returns from pocket queries and has a function that will export directly to Cachemate. If you do not register the software, you will get a screen asking you to register, ie. Nagging you about why you have not bought the software.

I use a Tungsten E2 with a Bluetooth GPS receiver, cachemate includes a simple NAV program that will allow me to open the Cache Page information, look at hints, read past logs, and navigate to the cache. I can also search for caches based on the current location.

I started paperless caching with a PalmVX and upgraded to the E2 because I could connect to a bluetooth GPS. I still carry a second handheld GPS for redundancy and the occasional whoops I forgot to charge the palm.

I have a premium membership, GSAK, and cachemate and find that the combination works very well. Make sure to update the Cachemate Database often to avoid searching for caches that have been archived or made unavailable.