Looking into a Garmin eTrex Legend, would you recommend it?

tsbubbles15

I have the Vista HCx and my son used a Legend HCx. Both are great units, but ...

The adhesive attaching the rubber surround to the unit is defective. We have both returned our original units for that problem (under warranty). The surround on his replacement unit just failed (4 months after receiving the replacement unit). It is out of warranty and I do not know yet if Garmin will provide any relief for the defect. We don't want to send his unit back yet because the replacement unit that I received doesn't work properly; it freezes up - and was just returned today.

Other than the surround falling off, they are nice units. But, if I were to do it all over again, I might choose the 60CSx - those units seem to be a bit more durable - if also quite a bit more bulky.

Garmin customer service is US based and I have no complaints with that side of the business (other than their shipment of defective replacement units).

IMO, for Geocaching, the electronic compas in the Vista is worth the extra few bucks.

Which Legend?

The Original Blue?

Legend C?

Legend Cx?

Legend HCx??

The original will get you to any cache and work well but is frankly just aged a bit too much. It is B&W, limited memory, slow at aquiring sats, has a serial connection and is a little bulky. I have seen the original Blue for around $140 in some local big box stores and thst is just too much to pay for it.

The latest Legend HCx goes for about $190 online and is a MUCH better unit.

A good 2nd choice is the Venture HC - high sensitivity, WAAS, long battery life, USB, geocaching mode, color screen etc... - goes for around $135 online

That sounds like a good start to geocaching to me, my first unit was a basic Etrex that I bought off a friend when he upgraded. It may not have some of the extra features that other units have but it will do fine for getting you to the search area.

Happy caching! :)

Our first gps units were the blue eTrex Legends. We found our first several hundred caches with them. At the time, they were the low cost workhorse of the Garmin line. We haven't had trouble with our black rubber gaskets on those two units, nor on the five like them I use in my classroom. Many other people have had terrible luck with the gaskets.

If I had to start over again now, and was still on a budget, I would probably look at the H series--the Legend H, the Legend HCx and the Vista HCx, in that order by $$$$.

I'd probably hold out for the Legend HCx, because having expandable memory becomes important fairly quickly if you travel or if you like to have both topo and city maps. All three of these models will do autorouting--which is very nice for finding your way to the cache area in the first place (and for finding gas stations, food stops, and hotels and other places of interest in strange cities).

Both "x" models take micro SD cards, so they hold more data; the Vista has an electronic compass. I would say I'd get the Vista HCx (because I like my electronic compass), but I understand that unit has had some programming problems lately, although I think those are getting ironed out with the most recent updates.

If I could have whatever I wanted, I would get the Garmin 60 CSx, which is what I currently use. I personally think it's the best gps on the market right now.

If I had money to burn and already owned the 60 CSx, I would probably also get an Oregon 400t. I think someday there will be a model from that end of the line that does everything the 60 CSx does and more and has no problems. I would still keep the 60 CSx, because, well, I really do think it's the best unit on the market right now.

If you like the idea of the 60 CSx, but not the cost, you could also consider the 76 CSx or the 76 Cx, because they are every bit as good as the 60 models, but they run a bit cheaper. They look like flat TV remotes. They float. The "S" model has the electronic compass.

As I have mentioned to a couple other cachers, in my opinion, a refurbed Garmin unit is a great first time GPSr. I hear the majority of folks on here mention the 60CSx and though it seems to be the most popular, it is certainly not the cheapest. For someone on a budget you may want to consider even lower then one of the highly recommended H series. I am a college student and budgets are more of a lifestyle for me :). The refurbed Garmin Etrex Vista Cx I bought was only 140 with free shipping, and so far I am thoroughly impressed.

Amazon has tons of deals, make sure you look deep into individual retailers on Amazon for the best deal!

I am using the eTrex Legend.

Sure its a basic unit but it does the job.

You can do better than $79 tho. Check the Penny Saver or Craigslist.

I got mine for free :)

At work, they were going to throw it away when they purchased a 60Cx so I took it home.

Had a problem of the screen going all crazy with lines everywhere.

I updated the software and havent had any problems since *knocks on wood*

I use the eTrex Legend (blue one) that I purchased off of amazon. For the money I am happy with it. The serial connection gets kind of old but that is the only thing bad I can say about it. Sure, other GPSr units would get me closer to the cache, but what is the fun in that. I think the Legend forces you to use your geosense a bit more. jmho...

As I have mentioned to a couple other cachers, in my opinion, a refurbed Garmin unit is a great first time GPSr. I hear the majority of folks on here mention the 60CSx and though it seems to be the most popular, it is certainly not the cheapest. For someone on a budget you may want to consider even lower then one of the highly recommended H series. I am a college student and budgets are more of a lifestyle for me :D. The refurbed Garmin Etrex Vista Cx I bought was only 140 with free shipping, and so far I am thoroughly impressed.

Amazon has tons of deals, make sure you look deep into individual retailers on Amazon for the best deal!

There are deals to be had there...The one thing I advise is to buy the very best you can afford at the time. It's easy to outgrow the simpler models quickly, and then you just end up with a unit you don't want and the expense of buying the one you really should have gotten in the first place. I think a lot of people get frustrated by models that don't do what they need and quit, thinking they just stink at caching.

GPS MAP 76 CS at Amzon for $197 - $208

And don't forget to check the garage sale forums here. Lots of people upgrade to new units and sell their old units to new cachers for a decent price.

going on 3 years with our etrex blue legend, and have found 336 caches so far with it....seems to work for us....you load up waypoints and it points in the direction you need to go....hmmm... seems like that is what a GPS is to do..esp. with geocaching. until ours just wears out i do not see any need to 'upgrade', the blue legend is A-OK in our book.

I almost bought one early last month. My sister uses the old blue original Legend. I liked it fine when I used it in August. Intuitive interface, reliable, and no problem acquiring satellites outdoors here. We also used it from inside a moving car to point us down the correct street. It seemed sensitive enough. I even had one picked out for about $75 used.

The reason I bought the Venture HC was because the price wasn't that much more, and the wise folks here advised me to shell out the extra $50 (for a brand-new Venture HC), that I wouldn't regret it. I haven't.

But if I absolutely had to keep it at $75 or under, I would have gotten the Legend :D

I just started this week and I'm using my eMap that I bought many moons ago and then later bought a TomTom for my truck so it was relegated to a shelf. I dug it out for this and it has been working great. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do (or can't) is to enter the coordinates off the sheet if I forgot to download the waypoint into the GPS and then navigate to them.... I was trying to drive and watch the numbers move, which makes for a sucky driving experience!

I just started this week and I'm using my eMap that I bought many moons ago and then later bought a TomTom for my truck so it was relegated to a shelf. I dug it out for this and it has been working great. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do (or can't) is to enter the coordinates off the sheet if I forgot to download the waypoint into the GPS and then navigate to them.... I was trying to drive and watch the numbers move, which makes for a sucky driving experience!

If you can create a waypoint of where you are right now, do that then go in and edit the coordinates. THats what I have to do with my Etrex H unit that I just bought over the weekend.

Of course that is a good GPS receiver and the price appears OK, but remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes that will cost you more...Self check your enthusiasm for the game of geocaching...If your enthusiasm is not very high and you are not sure, then and only then can you make a decision on what GPS and what cost you will pay...I, like many others have 2+ GPS receivers. This will happen until you find that "just right" GPS....I wish you the best and hope you will enjoy this great game of caching with the GPS of choice.....It is a heck of a journey and very enjoyable. Happy Trails.