GPS cache icons?

stickerooni

I have the Garmin Vista HCx. At a recent event I was bemoaning the fact that when I'm in the wild with only my GPSr, I can't tell when a cache is a multi, Earthcache, or puzzle cache because the icon is always the same little closed treasure chest (open, when I log it as found). Someone said that you can get different icons and showed me his icons for a nearby multi, which was different from a nearby standard. He said you just need to set it up that way.

I've explored my Vista and I can only see how to set up the different looks between a cache and a found cache. Am I missing something? Is this just not possible on a Vista?

I use MapSource, but couldn't find a way to set it up there, either.

Thanks

I have the Garmin Vista HCx. At a recent event I was bemoaning the fact that when I'm in the wild with only my GPSr, I can't tell when a cache is a multi, Earthcache, or puzzle cache because the icon is always the same little closed treasure chest (open, when I log it as found). Someone said that you can get different icons and showed me his icons for a nearby multi, which was different from a nearby standard. He said you just need to set it up that way.

I've explored my Vista and I can only see how to set up the different looks between a cache and a found cache. Am I missing something? Is this just not possible on a Vista?

Thanks

You're better off changing the waypoint ID, than changing the icon.

I have my waypoints set up like this: GC54321-TM2.3+

That's a Traditional Micro, Difficulty 2, Terrain 3½

If you use different icons, you're crippling the unit's Geocaching Mode, which only recognizes 2 icons: Unfound, and Found.

[quote name='stickerooni' You're better off changing the waypoint ID, than changing the icon.

If you use different icons, you're crippling the unit's Geocaching Mode, which only recognizes 2 icons: Unfound, and Found.

Or you can get rid of the "GC" altogether and use: TM54321-2.3+ :)

Thanks

You're better off changing the waypoint ID, than changing the icon.

I basically do the same thing as Prime...

Leave the geocaches as Treasure Boxes and change the waypoint (but I am alos using GSAK as stated earlier int he posts)

My geocache names look something like

123ABD3T3TTCR

Decrypted it means:

Cache: GC123AB

D3-Difficulty 2

T3-Terrain 2

TT-Type is Traditional

CR-Cache is a Regular

(For Terrain and Difficulty I use the 1="1", 1.5="2", 2="3", 2.5="4"...5="9" settings)

and that is a problem because?

Jim

Because you then can't use the calendar logging, auto find-next-cache, etc.

ah, features I don't use.

Jim

I want to thank you all for the tips. I've done some investigating based on what you've provided and I am absolutely THRILLED!

I learned that I can create my own icons for the Garmin Vista. I've done that (I'm fairly handy with the graphics programs) and loaded them to the GPS.

With the help of Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, I've been able to set it up so that the appropriate icon appears on my GPSr screen. AND...when I log the find, I've set it so that it will always show the same "found" icon. I did not have to create any unique macros, but was able to modify what was already in the system. I've also got a great little Skull and Crossbones icon that appears for any cache that's unavailable or archived -- I don't need to waste my time looking for a cache that I won't find! Very easy.

But because of the great features with GSAK, I've also set it up so that the identifying name on the screen starts with one letter identifying the type (Small, Micro, Regular, Unknown, etc), followed by a digit indicating the difficulty (1=1, 1.5=A, 2=2, 2.5=B, etc), followed by the GC#. I know that some of you had mentioned doing this, but I actually thought you went through and did it for each one. I didn't realize that GSAK had a macro set up to do it for you!

Now...when I'm out and about, I can tell at a very quick glance (based on the icon and the first two digits) everything I need to know to decide if it's a cache that I can/should go search for. What wouldn't I go for? Well, if it's a puzzle cache or earthcache where you need to know more information, now I won't waste my time searching an area (which I've done).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

and that is a problem because?
Because you then can't use the calendar logging, auto find-next-cache, etc.
ah, features I don't use.

Yeah, whether or not you consider that a loss of functionality completely depends on how you use your unit. I have never relied on the Calendar entry function so I didn't care about that. In terms of the "Next Cache" feature, I just use "Find -> Waypoint" instead of "Find -> Geocache" to see what's the next target. The fact that any non-Geocache waypoints I want in my unit are stored as POIs helps that a lot though.

I have a mac, are there programs that can do this with a mac? I dont think GSAK supports the mac OS. Thanks.

I want to thank you all for the tips. I've done some investigating based on what you've provided and I am absolutely THRILLED!

I learned that I can create my own icons for the Garmin Vista. I've done that (I'm fairly handy with the graphics programs) and loaded them to the GPS.

With the help of Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, I've been able to set it up so that the appropriate icon appears on my GPSr screen. AND...when I log the find, I've set it so that it will always show the same "found" icon. I did not have to create any unique macros, but was able to modify what was already in the system. I've also got a great little Skull and Crossbones icon that appears for any cache that's unavailable or archived -- I don't need to waste my time looking for a cache that I won't find! Very easy.

But because of the great features with GSAK, I've also set it up so that the identifying name on the screen starts with one letter identifying the type (Small, Micro, Regular, Unknown, etc), followed by a digit indicating the difficulty (1=1, 1.5=A, 2=2, 2.5=B, etc), followed by the GC#. I know that some of you had mentioned doing this, but I actually thought you went through and did it for each one. I didn't realize that GSAK had a macro set up to do it for you!

Now...when I'm out and about, I can tell at a very quick glance (based on the icon and the first two digits) everything I need to know to decide if it's a cache that I can/should go search for. What wouldn't I go for? Well, if it's a puzzle cache or earthcache where you need to know more information, now I won't waste my time searching an area (which I've done).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D