multi-puzzle caches

follow

this week end, i received for my birthday a brand new top of the line gps.

of course we wanted to try it right away! but, in our area, we already have cleared most of the traditionnal caches. Why not do multi and puzzle caches? we have time on our hands, no?

Yeah.

in an area of 4 km from our house, we found 17 multi and puzzle caches. After 3 hours in front of our computer, we discovered that only 2 of those were "doable".

yes, we are newbies, we have found 230 or so caches each (my hubby and i), hidden 8. I felt like those were so out of my reach!

There was no way for us to decipher or even begin to understand 15 out of 17 multi or puzzle caches.

too complex, too hermetic to newbies, with no directions or instructions, i ended up frustrated and almost wanting to quit altogether.

What is the point of creating caches that only a very small percentage of cachers will find? or even try?

sorry to rant here, needed to vent but also i really would like to know: do you enjoy multi or puzzle caches that need hours of prep inside, instead of simply going out and figure them on the spot?

thanks... and sorry.

I enjoy working on the puzzle caches. If they require time to figure out, I print them off and bring them when I have to wait somewhere: a doctor's office, an arena, during downtime at work, etc. If they require time googling, I do them after afternoon shift when I need relaxing time before bed. If I'm really stymied, I've been known to ask another cacher (or even the cache owner) for a small hint, to put me in the right direction. I don't think cache owners want their puzzle cache to be attainable only by a select few, so most are more than willing to give a hint if you're stuck.

It's like the micro issue: do 'em if you don't mind 'em, ignore 'em if you do.

I enjoy doing multi-caches when I have time. I usually enjoy the mini tours these take you on. In my opinion much more interesting than a drive up.

I too struggle with puzzle caches and have only done a very few. These were usually ones that led me to some interesting places via the internet to solve. I am pretty selective in the puzzle caches I attempt and do not do a lot of them but they can be fun.

Similar with micro's, I have a big angst on these things but in a multi I think they are perfectly warranted and preferable to gathering info from a sign post (historical markers and info panels aside). However, I sometimes find myself looking even for a regular micro just for the heck of it.

I think variety is one of the best aspects of the sport.

Enjoy!

When I create a puzzle cache, it's generally with the intention that the finders have to either know some esoteric bit of knowledge, or have to LEARN something. They're not meant to be rattled through in a couple of minutes unless you have the specific knowledge.

It doesn't bother me that some people find the effort too taxing. That's their choice. The list of finds I have indicates that enough people are interested.

The only thing that irks me about puzzles is when the puzzle is made very difficult, then the cache hide is also made excruciatingly difficult. But that's just my taste in caching.

I enjoy doing multi-caches when I have time. I usually enjoy the mini tours these take you on. In my opinion much more interesting than a drive up.

I too struggle with puzzle caches and have only done a very few. These were usually ones that led me to some interesting places via the internet to solve. I am pretty selective in the puzzle caches I attempt and do not do a lot of them but they can be fun.

Similar with micro's, I have a big angst on these things but in a multi I think they are perfectly warranted and preferable to gathering info from a sign post (historical markers and info panels aside). However, I sometimes find myself looking even for a regular micro just for the heck of it.

I think variety is one of the best aspects of the sport.

Enjoy!

i love multi when we they are mini tours. I think they are quite fun and a great way to truly discover a nice spot.

I'm talking about multi that need lots of prep before hands or multi that cannot be made in one trip (some are all over the city).

i dont know, i feel somewhat cheated when i look upon a multi or puzzle cache with so little info or with indications like: This cache is like XXX's other cache or Remember YYY cache? same here!

i dont have enough geocaching knowledge or experience to understand what those are about.

My point is: those make me feel out of the loop. I dont like it. Like i'm dumb or something...

Heh. I hear ya Follow. people who like to do puzzle caches will often put out puzzle caches. People who like nanos on park benches will often put out nanos on park benches.

My suggestion is: A) find another area close by to get some experience in, or encourage "regular" caches to be placed in your area.

The one bonus of difficult puzzle caches I've found, is they are far less likely to have coins and such stolen out of them, or become junk drawer caches.

I really enjoy doing the puzzle caches. We've got some really good ones in my area. I look at puzzle caches as exercise for your brain. Then you can go out and get the exercise for the body. It's win-win.

However, that said, they can be quite frustrating at time. When I first started doing them I found this article quite helpful.

With a little patience and time you'll get them. And the more you do the better you'll get. Trust me on that.

Cheers! :)

What is the point of creating caches that only a very small percentage of cachers will find? or even try?

The same reason that people do really hard crossword puzzles or brain teasers.

Since you are a premium member, you have the ability to filter out mystery caches from your PQs. :)

i know. I will probably end up doing just that, which is quite sad, really. i so wanted to do as many caches i could in my area since i dont drive a car.

I really tried but come on, an archimedean spiral? a morse code that is crypted before being coded in morse?

like we say in french, "en tout cas...."

It is not all about the numbers.... You do not NEED to do every cache....

Do whatever types of caches make YOU happy.

MANY people live and breath for the excitement (to them) of a difficult puzzle cache. That is what THEY like, not you.

Should they be denied the type of cache they find enjoyable because you do not?

in an area of 4 km from our house, we found 17 multi and puzzle caches. After 3 hours in front of our computer, we discovered that only 2 of those were "doable".

Hello,

Being a big fan of Multi-Caches, but not really enjoying "Home-based"* Puzzle Caches, can you help me understand how you determined that the Multi-Caches were not 'doable'? From my experience there are only three types of Multi's

• All redirects use physical containers (film cans, key holders, etc)
  • All redirects use existing items and mathematical (usually add or subtract) calculations.
  • A hybrid of the two above.

All of these should be fairly easy to do "in the field" with a print out of the listing, or from an electronic version. Is that not your experience?

Mystery/Puzzle caches, yes I agree that those can be challenging outside of any actual 'caching' involved. In the case of "Home-based"* puzzles, it can take a long time before you even need to turn on the GPS.

But again, I do not find this to be the case with any Multi-Cache... can you explain?

:) BQ

* Home-based = Typically involves research or needing to solve for coordinates through the solution of some puzzle, including just figuring out what is involved, before leaving the house.

The same reason that people do really hard crossword puzzles or brain teasers.

Since you are a premium member, you have the ability to filter out mystery caches from your PQs. :)

i know. I will probably end up doing just that, which is quite sad, really. i so wanted to do as many caches i could in my area since i dont drive a car.

I really tried but come on, an archimedean spiral? a morse code that is crypted before being coded in morse?

like we say in french, "en tout cas...."

You obviously have a puzzle lover living near you. If they had hidden nothing then you would be no better off. Instead they chose to hide puzzle caches. I don't know much French but I do know this: "Que sera, sera..." Edited by TrailGators

Hello,

Being a big fan of Multi-Caches, but not really enjoying "Home-based"* Puzzle Caches, can you help me understand how you determined that the Multi-Caches were not 'doable'? From my experience there are only three types of Multi's

• All redirects use physical containers (film cans, key holders, etc)
  • All redirects use existing items and mathematical (usually add or subtract) calculations.
  • A hybrid of the two above.

All of these should be fairly easy to do "in the field" with a print out of the listing, or from an electronic version. Is that not your experience?

Mystery/Puzzle caches, yes I agree that those can be challenging outside of any actual 'caching' involved. In the case of "Home-based"* puzzles, it can take a long time before you even need to turn on the GPS.

But again, I do not find this to be the case with any Multi-Cache... can you explain?

:) BQ

* Home-based = Typically involves research or needing to solve for coordinates through the solution of some puzzle, including just figuring out what is involved, before leaving the house.

maybe that's part of my problem: most of the multi i have found are a mix of puzzles and multi.

for exemple: in one of them, you need to read a story (a few pages) to get to a questionnaire which will give you answers fo the multi caches.

another is a multi with no coordinates to begin with, you have to find them (and to figure out how).

maybe the problem really is that those are puzzles and should not be labeled as multi?

i dont know, i'm kinda lost here.

even if i give you exemples (with the waypoint names) those are french, it wont help my point, will it?

even if i give you exemples (with the waypoint names) those are french, it wont help my point, will it?

You underestimate the Canadian public? francais is not a problem for many of us here. It's as simple as figuring out a puzzle. One must decrypt the language, whether on line or from memory, and the message becomes clear. Feel free to post, but don't expect direct answers to the final.

If you are stuck on a puzzle or a cache, just ask the cache owner or a previous finder...You will find that cachers are a great bunch and are always willing to help out.

I've got tonnes of puzzle caches that I have hidden. Some are easy, some are hard. It's no fun putting out a cache if people aren't going to find them. If someone needs help, I have no problem giving them a nudge or even giving them the coords for my puzzle caches.

There are differences of opinion in what constitutes a "Multi" vs a "Mystery".....

Here's my rule of thumb. If all of it can be done in the field by moving from one stage to the next in sequence, regardless of how long it takes to complete, that is a Multi. If not, it is a Mystery. Another way to say it is if any aspect of the cache is not a redirect based on info found at the current stopping point, then it is a Mystery.

While I understand that people will quickly want to point out exceptions, as stated already the above is my view on the difference. Be certain that I will not engage in a "calling out" re-review of any caches that I've placed or found as a player, reviewed and published under my reviewer account, or any other scenario.

If you have a new listing that you aren't sure about, ask your local friendly reviewer :D

:blink: BQ

edit: typo

Edited by The Blue Quasar

One of the things I learned very quickly is that everybody has there own unique tastes and preferences to caching. And that's part of what makes it so great.

Personally I despise parking lot caches, I find them repetitive and uninteresting, but for some mysterious reason some people just love them. Go figure. But just because I don't like them, doesn't make them bad caches...just not my cup of tea (as they say in England).

It appears you have two choices. Choose not to do them...which is perfectly acceptable, or suck it up and do them somehow. (Others have offered a lot of good suggestions to get help).

As for me, my fiancee and I are cache crazy, we do them all including the ones I don't like. Fortunately she doesn't have the same opinion of them so is willing to get in their with the muggles and get the cache.

As for puzzle caches. Some are easy, some are tough. I had one that was in Oakville that I must have spent hours trying to figure out. Others kept writing that they solved it quickly. Pig headedness made me refuse to ask for help. Finally when I figured out the trick I was kicking myself it was so simple. In my defence, this was a puzzle cache that was also difficult to find once you solved the puzzle, and when we got there I had it found in less than 30 seconds. One of my favorite caches ever!!!

I currently have one puzzle sitting in the middle of my no cache zone that I can't solve. Every couple of weeks I look at it, review any new notes and see if it looks any different. One day I will get it solved...without any help.

Final not on puzzle caches. It's true res2100 has put out many puzzle caches, and to that end I say this. "The bunny, the bunny, Oh I hate the bunny!!"

Of course if NOBODY has figured it out within the first week or two, the owner probably has not provided enough information... :huh:

There is a fine line between hard and impossible and it is a tough line to find.

Not at all. My caches are known for creativity. There are thousands of easy caches in the GTA. I like to put out caches that challenge cachers at home AND in the field. My cemetery cache went unfound for almost two weeks as well.

The people I want to find my caches, find them. And the logs reflect their appreciation.

The people who don't like long hikes, creative hides or challenging puzzles can and do ignore my caches. And I am ok with that. There are lots of easier caches for them to find. A wide variety of caches is good for the sport.

For me puzzles are a challenge and I know I won't solve all of them. But before I ask anyone for help I make an honest effort at trying to solve it. Out of the dozens I've solved (most I haven't looked for yet) I've only asked for help on a handful. I think I owe it to the owner to give it my best shot. Often I give a puzzle a decent effort, then put it away for a while (sometimes weeks) and then come back to it with some fresh thoughts. Puzzles are frustrating, sure, but what a rush when you solve it!

But what will really gets to me is to solve a difficult, interesting puzzling only to go out and find a lame cache that has just been plopped down somewhere for no real reason. IMHO the cache owner should put as much effort and creativity into the placement as the puzzle.

JD

But what will really gets to me is to solve a difficult, interesting puzzling only to go out and find a lame cache that has just been plopped down somewhere for no real reason. IMHO the cache owner should put as much effort and creativity into the placement as the puzzle.

JD

I agree 110%. To me, solving the puzzle is only half the cache. I still expect a decent hide.

In fact, for my current unfound cache, mentioned above, solving the puzzle is actually the easiest part. When the cacher gets to the first stage, they will be presented with, IMO, an even more challenging puzzle. But of course, it can be solved in the field using a GPS and some logic. Logic....no Google.

I have a second cache, Brook Trout, that is a puzzle but it is very simple. As the logs show, finding Stage 1 is the real challenge.

Puzzles are very unique things.

I have puzzles around where I know exactly what needs to be done but the solve process is so tedious I never actually get around to doing it.

I have puzzles around where I look at the cache page for a few minutes but it doesn't grab my interest so I never bother looking at it again.

I have puzzles around where they are so simple I just solve them right at the time -- and I may or may not ever get around to finding the actual cache.

Then there is the puzzle that grabs my interest and I will work on it for as many days/weeks/months as it takes for me to solve it. THOSE are the special puzzles that only come along once in awhile. Anyone can create a puzzle that is really simple or really "stupid hard" but one that achieves that fine balance are the ones I love.