Whats in your bag?

hi folks, hope you all had a good weekend and bagged a load of cacehes.

I found one this weekend that was in a bit of a state and thought I will make sure I take some spare zip and seal bags with me to keeps logs dry, also a small cloth or rag to clean up dirty messy caches.

Not forgetting spare batteries, food, drink, torch, waterproof....

What else make essential kit?

Along with the normal swaps I carry:

Small Silica Gel packs

A few Temp Logbooks (8 entries) in different sizes

Insulating tape to repair boxes

Sealable plastic bags

A few small laminated Cache Notes (amazing how many caches do not have them or they were not laaminated and have rotted.

Also carry a small tube of sanitizing gel to clean hands of germs (can't be to careful these days) just in case we decide to have something to eat.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Also carry a small tube of sanitizing gel to clean hands of germs (can't be to careful these days) just in case we decide to have something to eat.

Not quite sure about that. It reminds me of an article that I've recently read - it seems that studies indicate that over sanitizing can be the cause for allergies, asthma and other stuff... think that in the third world with much lower hygiene, these disorders don't exist!

Edit: found the link

Edited by luzian

When I am having to poggle about in the undergrowth and under leaves and things I always like to find a stick to help me so that I don't put my hand in something nasty. Unfortunately there isn't always a stick available of the right size and strength so I started to look around for some sort of telescopic stick that I could keep in my cagoule pocket until required.

Nothing of the right specification seemed available until I hit on the idea of buying a telescopic umbrella from Poundland. I customized it by removing the plasticky umbrella bit and the struts and this left me with just the thing I was after - a pocket size telescopic metal stick. As a bonus the plastic bit folds up nice and neat and also fits in a pocket and is handy to sit on if I can't find anywhere dry when I want to eat my sandwiches. It unfolds into a mat big enough for two.

Not bad value for £1.

Nothing of the right specification seemed available until I hit on the idea of buying a telescopic umbrella from Poundland. I customized it by removing the plasticky umbrella bit and the struts and this left me with just the thing I was after - a pocket size telescopic metal stick. As a bonus the plastic bit folds up nice and neat and also fits in a pocket and is handy to sit on if I can't find anywhere dry when I want to eat my sandwiches. It unfolds into a mat big enough for two.

I knew there would be a good use for all the broken umbrellas that I haven't got round to throwing away :)

Thanks

Several broken Mc toys ,clay pigeons(loads of um! Dont know why!)wind up torch(A must for when my other torch dies!)and seventythree thousand stubby pencils from a multi national Swedish furniture store.

For a stick to poke around and move dog links why not just use a treking pole?

The brolley idea is cool ,So if you see me on dragons den.......... :)

I found one this weekend that was in a bit of a state and thought I will make sure I take some spare zip and seal bags with me to keeps logs dry, also a small cloth or rag to clean up dirty messy caches.

Good idea, this is what I do as well.

I have a cache maintenance kit that consists of:

Spare logbook (18p value notebook from tesco) one page torn out makes a good replacement micro log

Pencil and biro (free from work, argos, ikea etc)

Pencil sharpener (36p, tesco again)

Some nano logs from ukgeocachers

a selection of ziplock bags (sandwich bags or small bead bags from my girlfriends craft box)

Silica gel packets (free from work again)

all kept in a small pencil case (less than £2.00 from tesco)

This enables me to perform cache maintenance when needed and as you can see doesn't cost much at all.

I also carry my GPSr and headtorch everywhere, great for looking in hidey holes even if it isn't night time.

Any other gear depends on the terrain and cache location.

...chewing gum and my extra pen. And my extra Polos and my lucky gonk. And my pencil sharpener shaped like a cream cracker. And three more gonks with a packet of Polos each. And lead for my retractable pencil. And my retractable pencil. And spare lead for my retractable pencil. And chewing gum and pencils and pens and more gonks... :D

We have to carry around a first aid kit as we are very prone to caching injuries - we can be clumsy in our eagerness :D Annie also has to keep a spare pair of socks and pants because Mark has a habit of pushing her out of the way when racing for the cache and it always seems to be muddy. Annie ends up sitting in the mud! :blink:

Annie

Cannonedwards :o

I carry:

GPS (obviously)

PDA (paperless caching)

cache repair stuff (spare zip bags and note books etc)

compass

torch

petzl head torch (for handsfree hunting)

batteries

paper + pens

goretex paclite jacket (incase it rains)

Edited by Raffaz

I carry far too much in my caching rucksack but all essentials (well i think so anyway!)

Gloves

Tweezers, screwdriver (for those sneeky caches in signposts), and a few other small tools

Scissors.

Notebook, pens, stamp.

TBs and geocoins for moving on and box of swaps.

cache repair kit, teatowel, spare log sheets and plastic bags.

Tissues & baby wipes and anti- bac hand gel

First aid kit including Antisan cream for those nasting stinging nettles that always get you !

Bottle of water, sweets and chewing gum.

Then a pocket in my bag for the dogs stuff - poo bags (come in handy for blackberries after picking them in the fields too ), doggie biscuits , and portable water bowl !

PAF list and a decrpt list of alphabet too.

Torch

Oooo almost forgot GPS, mobile phone and a few pound coins just in case .

Think thats it but ive probably missed something :huh: