"stealing coins"

dpglass

I have a few coins out there.

One is in the hands of The Coin Pirate. He has had this coin since Dec of 2007. These are the kinds of cachers that are ruining it for honest cachers. I actually feel he has stolen this coin from me.

Any one know if anything can be done? Can he be banned from the site? Can his finds be wiped out?

seriously these are the kinds of cachers( and i use that term loosly) That are causing people to make a photocopy of their coin and placing that in a cache. To me that defeats the purpose of having a coin. a coin was meant to be found, felt , touched to see the beauty of a carved stamped colored coin. again I feel this guy is a thief and a detriment to cachers every where. Now that i called him a thief I know i will never get my coin back

Thank you any answers i would appreciate

This is a topic WIDELY discussed in the Geocoin and Travel Bug Forums. There's a multitude of people (myself included) that feel the same way. The only thing you can do is try to not let it get under your skin. It is out of Groundspeak's hands for the most part, and searching the Geocoin forums for "theft", "stealing" or other similar words will give you some ideas of how The Powers That Be have dealt with the issue. Keep hoping for return to the wild!

This is a topic WIDELY discussed in the Geocoin and Travel Bug Forums. There's a multitude of people (myself included) that feel the same way. The only thing you can do is try to not let it get under your skin. It is out of Groundspeak's hands for the most part, and searching the Geocoin forums for "theft", "stealing" or other similar words will give you some ideas of how The Powers That Be have dealt with the issue. Keep hoping for return to the wild!

Here in my part of the state it happens at almost every cache. I had a good idea who it was, so I set out a cache under my sons account,which I created for him. I hid the cache in the suspects area,He's a FTF

hound, dropped in a coin but did not log the coin into the cache. The cache get's published, thirty minutes latter he's got the coin and FTF. After he logs as ftf, I archive the cache and immediately retrieve it. I gave them about two weeks and emailed them telling I knew what was going on. Iexplained that if I did not get the coins back I would let the rest of the community in on our little secret(which I never would or do). Got back three of my personal coins plus a couple of others to restart their journey.

Here in my part of the state it happens at almost every cache. I had a good idea who it was, so I set out a cache under my sons account,which I created for him. I hid the cache in the suspects area,He's a FTF

hound, dropped in a coin but did not log the coin into the cache. The cache get's published, thirty minutes latter he's got the coin and FTF. After he logs as ftf, I archive the cache and immediately retrieve it. I gave them about two weeks and emailed them telling I knew what was going on. Iexplained that if I did not get the coins back I would let the rest of the community in on our little secret(which I never would or do). Got back three of my personal coins plus a couple of others to restart their journey.

EXCELLENT, GOOD FOR THE @&!.

I love the fact that you put some fear into him/her.

We have had a few go missing, and one right after a drop, mostly the kids and I drop three identicals and race them, good fun and all until someone likes the coin end of the race for participant X.

Not that long ago I ran across a Cache that had three coins in it none were listed, logged the cache, gave the Cacher time to log the coins he/she never did, so I grabbed them and set them on their way.

Happy to put them back into circulation.

NOTE TO THE CACHER WITH FORGOTTEN COINS (did not use the word THIEF) please do what this Cacher did and drop these in your next cache, the kids get upset when they go missing, they spent their time, effort, and money on these, have a heart get them back into a cache near you.

Only worse feeling having a whole Cache go missing and having others coins inside be in your missing Cache.

:rolleyes:

Yep, been there seen that. One cache was supposed to have at least 4 coins, when I get there zip, nada, zilch. Still nothing posted, was over 1 1/2 months ago. Funny thing is this "cacher" logged a find in very close proximity to this cache but never logged into this one as a find. Oh well, maybe he/she ran out of daylight.

How long can someone hold a coin before it's "stolen"?

I've had two that are being held since August and I've messaged the person twice to drop them, but so far no luck....

I like the renaming them Stolen Idea.

August is a little too soon to call them stolen. Usually, I check the stats of the cacher and see how often they cache, before I feel the need to do anything about my trackables. If they are prolific cachers, then email them politely, and ask if they have plans to drop it off. If they cache on rare occasions, then I'd still email politely, but wouldn't expect it to happen immediately. Always try to catch more flies with sugar, than with vinegar, especially if the fly has something of yours. :D

Edited by Eartha

How long can someone hold a coin before it's "stolen"?

I've had two that are being held since August and I've messaged the person twice to drop them, but so far no luck....

I like the renaming them Stolen Idea.

August is a little too soon to call them stolen. Usually, I check the stats of the cacher and see how often they cache, before I feel the need to do anything about my trackables. If they are prolific cachers, then email them politely, and ask if they have plans to drop it off. If they cache on rare occasions, then I'd still email politely, but wouldn't expect it to happen immediately. Always try to catch more flies with sugar, than with vinegar, especially if the fly has something of yours. :D

I have e-mailed politely twice now to both people. One of them has gotten back to me explaining that there was a family illness, so I told them to take as long as they needed. The other hasn't returned my messages yet, so still waiting on her.

I have a few coins out there.

One is in the hands of The Coin Pirate. He has had this coin since Dec of 2007. These are the kinds of cachers that are ruining it for honest cachers. I actually feel he has stolen this coin from me.

Any one know if anything can be done? Can he be banned from the site? Can his finds be wiped out?

seriously these are the kinds of cachers( and i use that term loosly) That are causing people to make a photocopy of their coin and placing that in a cache. To me that defeats the purpose of having a coin. a coin was meant to be found, felt , touched to see the beauty of a carved stamped colored coin. again I feel this guy is a thief and a detriment to cachers every where. Now that i called him a thief I know i will never get my coin back

Thank you any answers i would appreciate

yah - but the only one who is hurting here is you. Know the pain - I have had coins go missing - both just awol for aaages and even sadly gone into hands of someone who has not set it free again or something worse had my tb cache muggled.

It is much better imho for you to just let it go, or wait for a coin sale, get something a bit more generic and get back up again - or even better to do something for someone else instead - set another coin free and adopt it out. You will find the anger draining away and some smiley wrinkles taking the place of the frowny ones.

I have the last of the bucket of aussie 08 coins to divest once the caching game prizes have been distributed safely - if you would like to have a down under traveller please pm.

Having had a closer look I'd like to ask what you think is going on with the pirate? http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1218205 - the coin in question i presume - weirdly it has a discover log 7/10/2008

It's not unheard of for 'kidnappers' to 'share' the booty at events and on the trail eg. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=191780 http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1165015 and so on.

perhaps another way to peer pressure something like this without delisting which will never get the coinsback is for a stack of people to place watches on the coins and log notes - although one wonders how effective this might be to a yahoo account one can only try:

the other coins to look at if you want to add your 2 cents

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=421121 - this belongs to someone really nice who set a tb free in japan for my son

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=683285

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=370791

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1280066

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...71-86361471bba4

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1432251

ps the last 2 coins are owned by GC themselves and nothing much doing there although this year i see you can buy your own

Edited by forthferalz

I looked up the "The Coin Pirate" account and was able to match it to another account in our system. Unfortunately, neither account has visitied the site in 2008.

I've banned both accounts with a note to have Groundspeak staff contact me if we receive any contact from the owner of these accounts...

I looked up the "The Coin Pirate" account and was able to match it to another account in our system. Unfortunately, neither account has visitied the site in 2008.

I've banned both accounts with a note to have Groundspeak staff contact me if we receive any contact from the owner of these accounts...

This is good IMHO. Stop the thefts and more people will put coins out like! THANKS Rothstafari!!

I placed a few of those coins on watch and added my own notes, but if banned, they won't likely matter.